• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

The Resistor and Servo share the same core. That's why they are both so flat. The Resistor is the flattest disc I've ever seen, due to the flat core and the way the overmold sits so high on it.

I suspect we'll see at least one more fairway using this core, with a more understable one coming soon.

They don't have the same core, look at this picture:

1417557_625503830839829_398411294_o.jpg

Also go to their website and flip back and fourth between the molds, the angle of the wing and slant of the rim is different.

http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/models/servo
http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/models/resistor

Not sure how accurate or consistent the profile pictures are though..

Also, on the PDGA specs page they don't have the same height.. which also suggests a different core.

Last edited:
The Servo and Resistor have the same core.

I just measured all 5 MVP fairway drivers. I even cut a straw so it would fit perfectly inside the Volt/Amp/Shock, and it had plenty of wiggle room inside the core of the Servo/Resistor.

From inside rim to inside rim the Volt/Amp/Shock core measures 17.5cm. The Servo/Resistor core measures 18cm.

These measurements aren't precise, but are plenty accurate enough to see it's the same core. :)

OM is where measurements are made not cores so no duh they are not the same but the cores likely are just as other runs with different placement of om and shoulder height... Not that difficult id put my money on BigSky findings.....

I wouldn't be at all surprised it is the exact same core. I was thinking maybe it was a different bottom half and the same top because the Resistor seems more beveled underneath and they both have that awesome flat top. I do realize that the overmold can cause an optical illusion though. Just a thought. Maybe using a different bottom mold isn't a bad idea in the future.

Servo and Resistor Core

The Servo and Resistor actually have two different cores. However, they fall into the same speed class, so the two cores have the same rim depth and rim width. The main difference between the two cores would be the overall PLH of the nose. Also, the core of the Servo has a little bit more shoulder and dome for added glide, but the Servo is still comfortably flat like the Resistor.

Well, if I'm gonna be put in my place, it may as well be by Brad. :D

Thanks for stopping by Brad, and giving us the scoop. :thmbup:

They are both awesome discs tho... Should have a Servo in my mailbox when I get home tonight. Can't wait to go chuck it tomorrow... Been a Loooooooong wait!

Well, if I'm gonna be put in my place, it may as well be by Brad. :D

Thanks for stopping by Brad, and giving us the scoop.

Not that difficult id put my money on BigSky findings.....

meh.. what do i know ;)

Just got some awesome custom Skullbuy stamped servos in the mail, they look awesome.

serv-neut-creamsicle_400w.jpg

Last edited:
An all white bag in michigan in December.....it's a three season bag ;)

Heh, I only use the stormtroopers in spring/summer/fall, so your three season comment is spot on :)

My regular bag is full of ridiculously bright discs that thankfully, are able to be used year round. :thmbup:

I was honestly disappointed with my 166g Servo during field testing this afternoon.
Out of the box, thrown flat with @ 350' of power, it was way more over stable than I anticipated. After roughing it up a bit, it seemed to loosen up a little.
For comparison, I was throwing a GL Fury and the Servo couldn't get close.

I was honestly disappointed with my 166g Servo during field testing this afternoon.
Out of the box, thrown flat with @ 350' of power, it was way more over stable than I anticipated. After roughing it up a bit, it seemed to loosen up a little.
For comparison, I was throwing a GL Fury and the Servo couldn't get close.

The Fury is faster, way less stable and has lots more glide, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. The Fury is closer to an Amp. The Servo is more like an Eagle or something in that range.

The Fury is faster, way less stable and has lots more glide, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. The Fury is closer to an Amp. The Servo is more like an Eagle or something in that range.

That may be true, but I was also getting a GL Fuse out farther than the Servo...
I also dropped the Amp in favor of the Fury.

I like the custom stamped skulboy/zam stamps for MVP discs, but the other ones I've seen have SUUUUCKED.

I like your solo work over the skullboy collabs.. He does cool stuff for damn sure just not my style. I like stock stamp proton the most lol.

That may be true, but I was also getting a GL Fuse out farther than the Servo...
I also dropped the Amp in favor of the Fury.

Fuses fly forever. Longest mid ever thrown and one of longest downhill drives ever. Just over 700' on a frozen rope #18 hyland just into the road.

Lightweight Servo Report

Just took my new 155 gram Skulboy Servo out to the field up against my 171 gram stock stamp. PLH appears to be the same, or at least too close to discern any difference. The 155 has a little more flex to the flight plate than the 171, for obvious reasons.

Right out of the box, the 155 is a different animal than the 171. While the heavy turns a hair and then has a healthy fade when thrown flat, the 155 had a nice gradual S-curve to it and landed relatively straight in line with my release point. Beautiful flight. Much more wiggle to its flight than the heavier one.

There were a couple other noticeable differences, as well. I could flip the light one up to flat from a hyzer, whereas the heavy holds the hyzer the whole way. On an anhyzer, I can barely get the heavy one to turn very much, and it always flexes out. I was able to get the light one to hold an anny all the way to the ground, and it was a thing of beauty.

I don't have a big arm by any stretch of the imagination, but I was getting more of the flight lines that I have seen in Mike C's Servo videos out of this light one (just without the distance of Mike C). For me, the light Servo/heavy Servo combo is very similar to an S-FD/C-FD pairing.

In MVP language, if some are calling the Servo a mini first run Volt - which I agree with for the heavy one - then a light Servo is more akin to a mini Amp. It's a great one-two punch that I would recommend to anyone who doesn't have a lot of power or is looking to minimize the number of fairway molds they carry.

Latest posts