• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

Not sure if this is a helpful observation or not, but I'm finding the new PP sig Sol is a bit less glidey than the Elite-Z. Which is fine, but it produces a slightly different line with less low speed turn, and is a hair faster. Not sure if this is standard across the run.

I won a Paige Pierce Sol at a tournament this weekend and after a few throws, I really like it. I have been looking for a faster putter or slower midrange that gives a finesse turnover for approaches and I think this will be it.

Yeah, it turns over so easy. I'm still throwing it alongside my PA4's to see which I prefer more for that spot.

Not sure if this is a helpful observation or not, but I'm finding the new PP sig Sol is a bit less glidey than the Elite-Z. Which is fine, but it produces a slightly different line with less low speed turn, and is a hair faster. Not sure if this is standard across the run.

So, if I want a disc that holds a turnover longer on a slow finesse approach, maybe the Elite-Z Sol is a bit better than the PP signature Sol?

So, if I want a disc that holds a turnover longer on a slow finesse approach, maybe the Elite-Z Sol is a bit better than the PP signature Sol?

In my hands, My Elite-Z would be (or would have been, RIP) a better shot for this than my PP, yeah. Depending on the exact shot of course, keeping in mind I only throw it about 250. The PP tends to turn and drop harder.

Still waiting for Discraft to make a production run of ESP ones the same as the ace race version.
I doubt they will. It's a niche disc so I don't see Discraft running it in a lot of different plastics. It will probably be a Z-only disc other than one-off specialty runs. I don't know that for sure, but if I wanted ESP ones I'd for sure be trolling around for used Ace Race discs now while they are still fairly common and stocking up.

Bought the regular Z Sol the other day. Man that disc is magic in the woods! Effortless hyzerflips to turnovers. The glide is strong with this one. I use this as my turnover putter (I know it' s supposed to be a midrange) from now on. Ohm is my straight-stable putter and Entropy is my meathook.

I actually just de-bagged my sol. It's funny, the sol is the disc that really taught me the most about my game and it's the first disc that I bought a stack of to practice with, and I just never thought I'd take it out of my bag, but I did. Where I had such great success with the sol before, I just didn't need it anymore. It became an outlier in my bag; a disc that was taken out for specialty shots only: the low tunnel relatively short range hyzerflip flick or a slightly longer one to turnover.
I can bend a buzzz on an anny flick further on the arc than I can my sol. And it ends cleaner, whereas the sol will roll.
And there it is.
The buzzz- the fabled buzzz- has that rep for a reason. It does almost anything you need it to. In every shot where I'd use a sol, I can use a buzzz and get more consistent results. The effortless flick hyzerflip is the only shot I can't pull off with the buzzz, but with a little effort, I can get the ground hugging straight flick without the flip with my zflx buzzz that would cover the same distance as the sol. Short range backhand turnover? I can use my jawbreaker ringer GT to ride an anny line.

I hated doing it. Maybe I'll put it up on the wall to enshrine it in my personal disc HoF haha

I actually just de-bagged my sol. It's funny, the sol is the disc that really taught me the most about my game and it's the first disc that I bought a stack of to practice with, and I just never thought I'd take it out of my bag, but I did. Where I had such great success with the sol before, I just didn't need it anymore. It became an outlier in my bag; a disc that was taken out for specialty shots only: the low tunnel relatively short range hyzerflip flick or a slightly longer one to turnover.
I can bend a buzzz on an anny flick further on the arc than I can my sol. And it ends cleaner, whereas the sol will roll.
And there it is.
The buzzz- the fabled buzzz- has that rep for a reason. It does almost anything you need it to. In every shot where I'd use a sol, I can use a buzzz and get more consistent results. The effortless flick hyzerflip is the only shot I can't pull off with the buzzz, but with a little effort, I can get the ground hugging straight flick without the flip with my zflx buzzz that would cover the same distance as the sol. Short range backhand turnover? I can use my jawbreaker ringer GT to ride an anny line.

I hated doing it. Maybe I'll put it up on the wall to enshrine it in my personal disc HoF haha

The sol is a great beginner disc or a fun one disc round. Loved messing with it, but never put it in the bag. Between my apx's and the comet, it was made pretty redundant.

I have some. Sol is deeper so it has more glide than the Fierce.

Domier yes, I think the rim depth of the SOL is 1.3 versus the fierce at 1.4. Fierce is flat topped so it has less glide. Might "feel" shallower. And likely is in the center and shoulder area.

And there it is.

Are you me? I initially bagged the sol for finesse upshots and tricky shots off the tee. This disc showed me what I could do then I started to use different discs for what the sol did. I guess showed me different lines and now I can execute those same lines with different discs that are my staples.

I love the sol as an approach disc. I power down on it in the woods and hit low ceiling line where the distance is what i would normally thrower a putter on but can't because of height. Love the sol for 150-200' low ceiling shots. i may go several rounds with out throwing it but when i get myself in trouble i want that disc.

Just got a pink 173g Z Line Sol with a very mild dome. I've been looking something to bridge the gap between my Fuse and Mirage, and the Sol fits that role perfectly! The Mirage just doesn't quite have enough integrity for anything outside of 225 feet without finishing too far to the right, while the Fuse can sometimes fade out a little too much under low power. The Sol I found to be good enough for smooth turnovers out to 275, and hyzer flips out to 300!

My very first throw with the Z Sol was roughly a 50% power flat shot with a clean snap, and it it turned over slowly and consistently for the latter part of its flight, out to 275 or so.

Just got a pink 173g Z Line Sol with a very mild dome. I've been looking something to bridge the gap between my Fuse and Mirage, and the Sol fits that role perfectly! The Mirage just doesn't quite have enough integrity for anything outside of 225 feet without finishing too far to the right, while the Fuse can sometimes fade out a little too much under low power. The Sol I found to be good enough for smooth turnovers out to 275, and hyzer flips out to 300!

My very first throw with the Z Sol was roughly a 50% power flat shot with a clean snap, and it it turned over slowly and consistently for the latter part of its flight, out to 275 or so.

It's a pretty sweet disc. It just goes a little far for me for what I wanted it to be used for. The Star Mirage is close but still touchy. So I've been bagging a Mirage, but I would like a Champ version which would likely add that little tick of stability. Plus I like Champ better as long as it's firm/grippy and not gummy like some of the Rhynos I've been feeling in the shops.

I carry a lighter Fuse 172 for that SOL shot 280-300 foot turns. I could really throw either one. I slightly prefer the Fuse feel wise.

Maybe I should try beating in the SOL more to see if I can power it down for the right amount of turn that I want at 240-250. I guess that is the problem of not throwing much FH, got to have so many discs to dial in all the flips and distances.

I feel like a fool for letting this disc sit in my bin for as long as I did. When I initially acquired it in a trade I couldn't make the Sol fly well at all but that was because I assumed I needed to throw it with touch, like a putter, due to the small diameter.

I was reading through this thread and saw someone mention "shorter Meteor" so I decided to dig it out and give it another shot. Instantly impressed when I tried throwing it like I would throw a Buzzz/Meteor. I have a feeling that this is going to work out well as a crutch until I can dial in my forehand in the 275'-300' range.

I got a first run Z. I probably threw this disc more than anything else in my bag for a solid couple of months, but the honeymoon ended.

If I throw it at about 80%, it goes straight to fade. If I throw it at about 85%, it turns and finishes right. And I don't have that kind of touch. So it frequently does the opposite of what I want.

This disc has not only inspired my Golden Retriever purchase, but has really contributed to developing my disc retrieving skills.

Latest posts