• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the story of the HURRICANE

JHern said:
Roc Lover said:
would you say its about as fast as the force also (slower than boss, nuke etc) or is it a faster less stable force?

I would put it as slightly faster than a Destroyer. And almost as far as a Destroyer too. The Boss, Katana, and Nuke are slightly faster than a Hurricane, but don't fly as far...
does not compute

For me I throw all those discs farther (except for some bosses) than a destroyer and theyre all faster so this doesnt make sense to me, are you saying its river-esque and itll glide so much its longer than those discs even tho its technically slower?

so according to a newsletter I got, dga is releasing a dga hurricane cat 5 version of the disc. Anybody know anything about it? All it said was to be a special limited edition version of it. Sparkle maybe?

I'll be buying one w/e it is. I know discnation is getting a new shipment of hurricanes but he said it was going to be regular production line stuff. Guess they ran some special stuff also when they did the last batch

rusch_bag said:
Jerrod said:
sparkle would be awesome

Has a sparkle anything actually ever been better than its non sparkle counterpart? Sure they look and feel sweet, but everyone I have thrown has flew like crap.
Aftershocks and Tsunamis.....but thats about it

rusch_bag said:
Jerrod said:
sparkle would be awesome

Has a sparkle anything actually ever been better than its non sparkle counterpart? Sure they look and feel sweet, but everyone I have thrown has flew like crap.

A local Discraft pro really likes the sparkle Players Cup stamped Rogues but not really any other versions of the disc.

Red players cup sparkle rogues... yes...
All others sparkle rogues aren't anything special....

Now Sparkle Squalls on the other hand... if only my wife would increase my one disc a month limit...

jclepa said:
Red players cup sparkle rogues... yes...
All others sparkle rogues aren't anything special....

Now Sparkle Squalls on the other hand... if only my wife would increase my one disc a month limit...

I liked the stiff blue Player's Cup Sparkle Rogues as they were stiff and stable like the FR Sparkle Z Tsunamis...All the 174 red ones were actually WAY overweight (177-179) as I weighed most of them @ Sunking's shop when he had them.

So I just got a 167 white one as a thrown in with a trade with a friend. I am kinda stoked if it can throw like my beat in destroyers. That way I don't have to worry about losing a destroyer this winter.

Got my first throws in with mine out in the field today. Took my beat 171 star destroyer and my beat P and S PDs out there with it. The hurricane threw a lot like my beat destroyer in that it did really well in a tail wind and fared OK in a light headwind and crosswind. I felt it was a bit more controllable than many other wide rimmed drivers that I threw. I worked it on various lines against the PDs and was impressed with it's consistency and even hit a trash can I was aiming at from about 360' or so. It can definitely not be thrown into a good headwind but neither can my beat star destroyer so I don't really see that as an issue. My favorite throw with this disc was the extended/flip up hyzer. It loves holding gentle hyzer lines and does not crash out at the end like my destroyers (which probably has to do with it being a bit slower so it doesn't get as affected by losing speed as much).

The two things I really didn't get to mess with was nose angle releases and torqued-over forehands. One of my new favorite shots with the destroyer is a long torqued-over forehand that holds it's line for a long time. Any disc that is gonna compete with the destroyer is gonna have to be able to do that.

Frank, so far Hurricane is meh at those FH shots. But I also have a weak ass forehand. And you are a right about the tailwind flips, it crushes. I also like to throw it on big flex shots out past 400. It always breaks back at the perfect spot.

So I got to feel the new production run hurricane. ZAM only had one, bright green. Same dome, but a little softer/flexy feel when pushed down on. The parting line was slighty higher than the first run, so I guess expect a more stable disc. I actually need a more stable one so I am ok with this. Hopefully like other discraft plastic, the colors will indicate different stabilies. I did not get to throw it. But once he gets more on the shelf I'll probably buy a couple different colors and test them out

Oh man, my 2011 Worlds Hurricane has broken in to become, without any question, the sweetest wide-winged driver I've ever thrown. As it beats in, the glide just keeps on increasing, I really wonder if there is any limit to how long this disc will become as it seasons. It is truly developing the glide of a Pro Destroyer with time, but without the annoying tendency to flip off long into infinity in the wrong direction (which is why I keep losing Pro Destroyers). I can turn the Hurricane over nice and slow, with the control of a PD, but it is fast like a Destroyer and goes farrrrrr... This is a great ace run disc for long pin positions. Try it, and you'll see what I mean!

I'm playing in a tournament this weekend where we get a new tourney stamped Hurricane as part of the player package. I'm going to be really curious whether the newest ones behave just like the 2011 Pro Worlds run. If they don't, I know where I can buy a 2011 Pro Worlds Hurricane (heh, I purposely hid it back in the stash on the shelves at the store, I'll go get it right away if the new ones are not as good).

I am waiting on some sparkle/z hurricanes. my hurricanes got flippy and didn't stand up to any type of texas wind. that won't cut it for me. PD2 flies like a stable hurricane for me, so even if they released some in durable plastic I probably wouldn't make the switch

Latest posts