• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The SW22 Swim Move

you're better off trying to do nothign with your off arm and keeping it by your side than trying to actively do anything with it.

you're better off trying to do nothign with your off arm and keeping it by your side than trying to actively do anything with it.
Yep, I think you hit it with the 'relax into it' thing. Its not actually relaxing but that is way closer than punching down.

Punching down to me is like telling someone that when balancing on a wire with a pole in their hand, they need to move the pole in some specific pattern that isn't 100% governed by balanced leverage. It just doesn't make sense on its face as a concept.

I haven't done a lot of work on my off arm because it naturally came in for me so I focused on bigger issues first but I'm in a spot now where I'm looking for another thing to focus on and wanted to test out a few different off arm styles just to make sure none of them click better for me.

Do you think I shouldn't worry about it b/c it's fine as is?
These two throws are my natural off-arm movement when I don't think about it:

In the 12-29-23 (first two throws) and 1-9-24 vids in the playlist I was trying to more aggressively extend it down along my side.

I've been considering testing styles more thoroughly before deciding to just keep letting it do what it naturally has been doing:
- Coming in across the abdomen a bit first before going back towards the side like Drew
- More along the side like without crossing in front like Eagle / Simon
- Slap the thigh like Silas:
- Hold the hand on the thigh like Jakub:

You are missing or late on the first part of the swim move bringing the elbow into hip with heel plant. You let the rear elbow fly really far out, maybe to help counter balance out-of-balance condition and/or to help rotate upperbody to make up for lack of lowerbody coil.
Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 4.30.41 AM copy.png
It seems like the moves that help people commit the swing from the rear side inside their posture generates a lot of the force because it also helps collect the momentum into the plant and brace while committing into the swing. Hopefully the swim part occurs naturally in that context.

Getting the rear side with the elbow assisting the shift into the plant is very important (~9:42):

Yep, I think you hit it with the 'relax into it' thing. Its not actually relaxing but that is way closer than punching down.

Punching down to me is like telling someone that when balancing on a wire with a pole in their hand, they need to move the pole in some specific pattern that isn't 100% governed by balanced leverage. It just doesn't make sense on its face as a concept.

I forget who it was, but they went to a Drew Gibson clinic, and someone asked him about his "punch down" and he said "I don't punch down, I just let my arm fall and relax."

But if you watch these guys, it looks like they are punching down.

I'm sure in the motor cortex of things there is some level of motor action that isn't just limp falling it, but its not an active motion.

Do you think I shouldn't worry about it b/c it's fine as is?
These two throws are my natural off-arm movement when I don't think about it:

If that's your off arm, you're doing it well enough I'd not mess with it. You're already doing the swim move.

There is nothing overly aggressive you can do with the off arm that will get you better distance or what not.

If I was to criticize anything on your swing its your brace, leading elbow and how compact your pocket is.

Otherwise it looks pretty okay for an advanced level. anything really is nitpicky stuff.

You are missing or late on the first part of the swim move bringing the elbow into hip with heel plant. You let the rear elbow fly really far out, maybe to help counter balance out-of-balance condition and/or to help rotate upperbody to make up for lack of lowerbody coil.
okay interesting. I learned something.
Need to apply this myself. My off arm is horrendous.

okay, so then he's only doing it half way. I'm off. I don't really try and look into it to deeply, just get it close sorta thing.

View attachment 331193
Cool, thanks. Yeah I was going for max distance here so I was trying to coil more than usual which probably resulted in my off arm swinging back more. I think on my more comfortable power shots it stays a bit closer at this point but I'd have to double check.

I have tried holding the thigh the whole time a few times and it doesn't seem to mess up my coiling much since it's muscle memory now, so I'll probably just try to keep it a bit closer to the body while coiling so it doesn't get too far out.

That's a subtle off-arm timing I wasn't aware of. I was timing it with feeling the brace land, then bring it in.

If that's your off arm, you're doing it well enough I'd not mess with it. You're already doing the swim move.

There is nothing overly aggressive you can do with the off arm that will get you better distance or what not.

If I was to criticize anything on your swing its your brace, leading elbow and how compact your pocket is.

Otherwise it looks pretty okay for an advanced level. anything really is nitpicky stuff.

okay interesting. I learned something.
Need to apply this myself. My off arm is horrendous.

okay, so then he's only doing it half way. I'm off. I don't really try and look into it to deeply, just get it close sorta thing.
Can you please elaborate the criticisms?

Can you please elaborate the criticisms?
I could, however.. I don't wanna have a "coach off" on a thread about the off arm swim move.

SW might have some different idea's on what you need to do on your swing. And that would be better suited for the actual form forum and a new post there.

I could, however.. I don't wanna have a "coach off" on a thread about the off arm swim move.

SW might have some different idea's on what you need to do on your swing. And that would be better suited for the actual form forum and a new post there.
Got it, it's just a tease to even mention it if have no intention to get into it, hah. Just leaves me wondering now.

Got it, it's just a tease to even mention it if have no intention to get into it, hah. Just leaves me wondering now.

We literally have a forum for it, I was just pointing you in the correct direction to make a post there so you can get form help for what we are talking about vs dirtying up a thread.

Just saw this, looks like Holyn thinks of it as a punch down, unless she's changed her view since this vid.

I never saw anyone call it a punch down before but that's how I was thinking of it since that's how it first looked to me on the people who keep it more to their side instead of bringing it across the abdomen.

Just saw this, looks like Holyn thinks of it as a punch down, unless she's changed her view since this vid.

I never saw anyone call it a punch down before but that's how I was thinking of it since that's how it first looked to me on the people who keep it more to their side instead of bringing it across the abdomen.

Pros (and all of us) say a lot of nonsense that isn't actually true. This is one of those statements about a movement that just doesn't end up making sense if you think about it for a minute though no? What would literally punching down accomplish, even in theory?

Pros (and all of us) say a lot of nonsense that isn't actually true. This is one of those statements about a movement that just doesn't end up making sense if you think about it for a minute though no? What would literally punching down accomplish, even in theory?
Yeah…..she puts a pulley up and says punch down, but the logical result of that would be the other arm moving up…….

Seems like swim move would create a horizontal vector but punching down would be vertical.

Yeah…..she puts a pulley up and says punch down, but the logical result of that would be the other arm moving up…….

Seems like swim move would create a horizontal vector but punching down would be vertical.
Yeah it can definitely look like that with how it's oriented on the screen, but since the throwing arm isn't hanging down towards the ground, the pull is going across the upper back horizontally and so the throwing arm is pulled more across instead of up. This is how it feels to me when I hunch forward and shadow the move, I feel a clear tug going horizontally.

Yeah it can definitely look like that with how it's oriented on the screen, but since the throwing arm isn't hanging down towards the ground, the pull is going across the upper back horizontally and so the throwing arm is pulled more across instead of up. This is how it feels to me when I hunch forward and shadow the move, I feel a clear tug going horizontally.
I can't quite tell but are you defending the 'punch down' concept and also including a pulley being an accurate representation of the forces at play with the off arm?

Latest posts