• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Are Champ Terns generally true to the -2/2 numbers? Debating picking one up as an understable compliment to Xcals.

I prefer Champ. Beefy Star I'll settle for.

Yeah, champ Terns are fairly consistent. Just make sure you find one with some dome. Sometimes you'll find flat Terns that are surprisingly overstable and glideless.

A heavy star Tern would also be in the realm of -2/2.

i went back to the tern!

i was playing maple hill a while back and remembered that there's a lot of long water carries (from gold tees) and bought a couple champ terns in the 160's for the real scary over the water throws (especially since i throw LHBH for distance).

man i miss this easy on the arm distance!

i stopped throwing terns because i could get similar distance with the shryke but also have the option, for me, to sidearm with the disc too and the shryke had that tick more overstability and (sidearm friendly) deeper rim and more versatility in the bag.

but nothing beats that smooth tern backhand distance for me.

glad i bought them and kept one for the bag for that open field distance throw.

I stopped due to sudden onset of odd releases. I blamed the rim and tried to find deeper replacements. I've only had limited success, so I am trying to get them back in the bag. When I have my form down, there is no better flyer for me than an Echostar Tern. Somehow, they are glidyer.

I stopped due to sudden onset of odd releases. I blamed the rim and tried to find deeper replacements. I've only had limited success, so I am trying to get them back in the bag. When I have my form down, there is no better flyer for me than an Echostar Tern. Somehow, they are glidyer.

The last G* Tern I threw was perfect. Max weight, nice dome, and great glive. Flew true to the numbers, and is one of the better Terns I've ever thrown.

I don't always like G* drivers.

I think I'm gonna buy a few, never really tried the mold. Found one inked a few years back and I tossed in on a couple field holes back to the car (didn't want to re-lose it)...if I remember correctly it just didn't want to land. That, it was shallow, and had a slightly odd rim shape like the Valkyrie but different.

I should jump on that, gonna throw on Thanksgiving for the first time in a couple weeks.

Halo Tern

Tossed a Halo Tern for the first time this week, both on the course and in the field. Disc is 173-5, and has a decent dome.

Very nice. For a Tern, this thing is pretty much perfect. Flies true to the numbers and performs great. Noticeable high speed turn without being overly flippy. I was able to smash it hard and flat, and the disc would S curve beautifully before coming back late in flight.

Sometimes with Halo plastic you get crappy glide, but that wasn't the case here. The Halo Tern glides just as it should.

Max distance was over 450'. This disc will freaking mash without getting too understable.

I also like the Halo plastic. It's shiny, yet fairly grippy. Seems very durable. I'd recommend the Halo Tern to anyone who throws Terns. This thing actually surprised me by being as good as it was. I was expecting something with less glide and more beef.

I got COVID (yes vaxxed prior not that it's anyone's business) right before Thanksgiving so I missed playing, haven't thrown since early November. Did order four Terns though! A Gstar and some Champs, max weight bright orange and twin 170ish pinks. Definitely have a shallow rim which was one of the reason I stopped throwing Worlds a few years back. I've been approaching my game mentally different since a terrible tournament (okay, wasn't that bad, just a bunch of tilt) a few months ago, and I feel like they could really benefit me in what I'm looking for. I'll have to get out soon and comment about their actual flights.

As I expected the orange Champ has the highest PLH while the Gstar has the lowest:popcorn:

I got COVID (yes vaxxed prior not that it's anyone's business) right before Thanksgiving so I missed playing, haven't thrown since early November. Did order four Terns though! A Gstar and some Champs, max weight bright orange and twin 170ish pinks. Definitely have a shallow rim which was one of the reason I stopped throwing Worlds a few years back. I've been approaching my game mentally different since a terrible tournament (okay, wasn't that bad, just a bunch of tilt) a few months ago, and I feel like they could really benefit me in what I'm looking for. I'll have to get out soon and comment about their actual flights.

As I expected the orange Champ has the highest PLH while the Gstar has the lowest:popcorn:

Once you get used to the Tern, you simply forget how shallow the rim is. They're actually a pretty easy disc to throw as long as you don't get overly aggressive and flip them into the ground.

I haven't bagged a Tern in a while, but I still fully appreciate what the disc can do. They'll go as far as any faster driver.

Latest posts