• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Trusty Go-To

@iDiscGolf

* Ace Member *
I don't want to try it, I may like it...

I just picked up a Blurple Lat64 Core. I'm a sucker for blurple discs but when I picked up this Core it felt so great in the hand I thought. So good a thought went through my head "what if this replaces my _____" (fill in the blank with your hypothetical go to disc.).

It worried me because I already have so many "___" (hypothetical go to) in different plastics and colors and wear so on and so forth. I have an investment and attachment to my go to that I got worried for its safety, it shook me to the Core (not really, added that part for dramatacism, see what I did there) :p

I have some friends that only throw Innova or Legacy or whatever company it may be. And sometimes I want them to try a new disc I've gotten because I like it so much and occasionally they are hesitant or don't want to. I think this May be the reasoning. Sometimes we may not want to believe there may be a better disc than what we "know" in our head is our trusty go-to...

So, are you sometimes afraid of trying a new disc because it may kick out your trusty Go-To?

Nah. I have no problem making new "go to's." It just happened recently with the Inertia replacing my trusty Amp.

I dont have a problem trying out new molds. I usually have those "go to" discs still in my bag when I am throwing the new disc as well so I can throw the same lines with them to see how they perform. In the end, best disc wins.

I love trying new discs, but I usually just end up sticking with what I have because I have so many back ups.

I love trying new discs, but I usually just end up sticking with what I have because I have so many back ups.

That's kinda where I'm at too. I buy allot of plastic, too much. Just for funzies and to test, usually they DONT replace my go-tos. But the thought of what if caught me off guard this time.

I like that too, best disc wins! True dat

This is one reason that I have alternate lineups. I can keep my trusted go-to molds in my main bag and put some alternates in another bag to use in casual play.

I have been trying out new discs, since the advent of golf specific discs (Actaully even before that). Occasionally one will make the bag. Most recently, I was cruising through the plastic at Sun King and stumbled into an Axiom Crave. I liked the way it looked and felt, so I bought it! Then I started throwing it, and really like it. Normally I buy new discs that I am pretty sure I will like, like say the Mantis, But once in awhile, I'll take a chance on a new unknown (to me) disc that catches my eye.

I had the same experience as Big Sky with the Inertia, except that it booted a Valkyrie (with one of the most beautiful dyes I've done to date) out of my collection completely. I've done the same thing recently with the Mongoose (booted a Sidewinder and Mamba) a JK Aviar (booted my Anode), and I'm trying to decide between the Tensor and Zone for my OS mid slot (maybe Buzzz OS will be a factor too).

Half the fun of disc golf is trying out new plastic. It's cheap, and you never know when you'll find a new "go-to". From what I've seen the most resistant people are the die-hard Innova or Discraft fans. I get where they're coming from. They've thrown one company or the other for many years and don't' want to change. I disagree with the logic, but understand it. I only threw Innova when I started playing because I didn't want to have to make sense of two companies flight ratings.

So many discs, so little time.

Will the Buzzz o/s replace my Champion Roc3 or McPro Roc3?
Will the XXX replace my Firebird?
Will the Core replace my neutral Roc?
Will the G-line PD replace my Surge SS?

No, yet I still buy discs like crazy. I have so many discs, so many brands. Some days will be an all Innova day, some days can be a all Discraft day.

I Can also get by at the local short course with just recent Lat64 purchases of Pure, Scythe, XXX & Core that I now keep in car full time.

I actively tried to kick the Wasp and Zone (the core of my midranges) out of my bag, and I just can't do it. I didn't throw the Wasp for almost two years while trying other discs in that role. My first throw back was like it had never been removed.

I am on a constant quest to move my Comet out of the bag. Acutally tried the Core and really like it, fantastic glide. Replacing the Comet....nope. Core doesn't seem to be a easily controlled. This is a fun game I have played for a couple decades. I love trying new plastic, but like many, I come back to a few reliable go to's.

I've been known to lose a go-to disc (firebird) from time to time, that's usually when I try and substitute a new tryout disc mold (predator). Even if I have back ups of the specific mold (firebird) , there usually isn't a disc identical to the one I lost. Most of the time the experiment is a complete failure and the go-to (firebird) is replaced/restocked and further cemented in my bag. Sometimes a disc (Buzz) survives numerous scrums spanning years, only to be replaced after trying a new disc (Truth) for a single day. I have no brand loyalty, only mold loyalty, but that is only if said go-to disc as survived a enough of these replacement cycles for me to be completely convinced of it's superiority.

So many producers, so many discs, so much overlap.

Once you can throw one understable midrange, you can throw them all. The differences are very subtle and you'll get the feel for it within a day. Replacing my discs wouldnt be a problem. But that also means that keeping my old ones wouldnt be a problem either :D

I usually stick with the ones I have till i used up all my backups.

My entire bag is a 'Go-To' it just depends on the shot. The molds I have are many but I know them and I feel confident in them.

I've got some go-to's (Wizard/Buzzz/Firebird/Orc), but every once in a while I'm surprised by a disc. For me, the last two were putters...the Zone (super utility disc), but the one that REALLY has become a go-to is the Breaker. Best freakin' driving putter I've found.

I had the same experience as Big Sky with the Inertia, except that it booted a Valkyrie (with one of the most beautiful dyes I've done to date) out of my collection completely. I've done the same thing recently with the Mongoose (booted a Sidewinder and Mamba) a JK Aviar (booted my Anode), and I'm trying to decide between the Tensor and Zone for my OS mid slot (maybe Buzzz OS will be a factor too).

Half the fun of disc golf is trying out new plastic. It's cheap, and you never know when you'll find a new "go-to". From what I've seen the most resistant people are the die-hard Innova or Discraft fans. I get where they're coming from. They've thrown one company or the other for many years and don't' want to change. I disagree with the logic, but understand it. I only threw Innova when I started playing because I didn't want to have to make sense of two companies flight ratings.

I currently have both in my bag. Personally, I like the Tensor for slightly longer backhand shots, but can't seem to throw it as well forehand. The Zone will always be my short overstable forehand disc. And also my short overhand, pancake, and grenade disc.

My entire bag is a 'Go-To' it just depends on the shot. The molds I have are many but I know them and I feel confident in them.

I'm glad you know your bag. If I were given the discs in your signature and told to use them, I would constantly be second-guessing my decisions. I try to set up my bag such that I only ever have to decide between at most, 3 discs, and that is a very rare occasion. Typically, I know exactly which disc in my bag is suited to a particular hole.

Neither method of setting up a bag is right or wrong, in my opinion. It is, however, interesting to see the differences between bag setups and mentalities. Also, despite the fact that my bag is not overflowing with discs, I only have a couple of discs which I would consider go-to discs. All of the others are subject to change if I find something better.