• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] The unLace

My Lace is super beat in and became seriously unstable. I have a second Lace that's my stable. I bought an unLace today at the store and wonder if the X-Link compound is a little different. I swear my old Lace and the one I got today have a much more "lizardy" feel. The unLace is like a glossy plastic almost. It's got more of a "sticky" feel to it.

I wonder if it's like that since it's a dealer sample or it's a 1st run.

My friends joked I've got more Lace than Victoria's Secret.

Onemoremile, how did it compare to the Lace for you?

I haven't thrown the Lace a ton because I don't have a big arm. But the unLace was much easier to get up to speed and didn't have much fade. When I threw the Lace a few months back, it acted much more stable. They certainly have different flight paths.

I got one from a retailer that carries Vibram discs but doesn't throw them. It was a dealer sample. I threw it yesterday and was really surprised how it seriously just keeps on gliding. I need to get a regular production one that I'm not afraid of getting dirty. I think it can find a really good place in my bag.

If these are flippier than the lace yet also beat in just as fast, for me after about a week it would turn so hard it might actually go upside down before it hits the ground.

The proto Un-Lace was a fun disc to throw. I powered it down and played with the angles and got some great flights.

At my noodle-armed strength, the unLace is phenomenal. Easy, easy distance with very little effort. A bit of hyzer, clean release at 65-70%, and BOOM.

The thing I like most is how easy it is to throw. It requires very little power to flip up to flat and just cruise.

But for the noodle arm set, this has to be the go-to max D driver. More controllable than the Mamba, and the rim shape is comfortable in the hand. Very impressed so far.

It seems in vogue to bill high speed drivers as beginner friendly these days, even though it's rarely the truth. However, it seems like the unLace is really that, and that it's geared towards players who usually can't throw high speed drivers. I couldn't believe how much turn the testers had for me, even on a low power throw. I think all this makes the unLace a unique release; I'll be curious to see if it catches on with lower power throwers.

I agree with all of this. I think the Unlace is going to become THE disc for the noodle-armed crowd. It is so easy to throw far (300+ which is pretty far for me) and it just fits my game. I can throw it 3/4 power on a slight hyzer and match or surpass my distance with any other disc, and I have to really lay into those other discs and I'm sure I'm OATing them. This disc helps me stay smooth while still bombing, which is good for my game and my bad back.

And Dana is extremely right. I can vary hyzer angle and power and get some really neat flights out of it. It's hard calling a disc with this wide of a rim a "touch" disc but this is by far the most workable high speed driver I've ever thrown. I've been comparing it to a very fast, extremely long and glidey Summit-type flight. And some people have been complaining about the thin flight plate, flat wing, and extreme dome but it feels super comfy to me.

All in all, I'm still loving my 163g Proto and pumped to pick up a 175g production. This disc may not be for intermediate+ crowd or the big arms, but new players, noodle arms, and rec players, such as myself, are going to LOVE this disc.

Can get some very nice left to right throws (rhbh), sky annys, long rollers though a stiffer one would likely roll better. I wasnt a huge fan, but some will really like this as an US utility type disc. Also i think people throwing around 280-300 will get some nice distance from it.

Unfortunately for DiscNation, I will not be buying from them until they can provide previews of their Vibrams... like Marshallsteet, Community and DGCenter do. :(

DN is pretty good about responding to emails and phone inquiries quickly. I have had them text or email me photos of Vibrams in the past. Give 'em a chance to show how good their customer service is.

That is very fair and valid, I have not given them a chance. They may not like me requesting pictures of each and every UnLace/Vibram. I guess my point was that: why, as the consumer, do I need to reach out to them for the information when other sites already provide it?
I suppose I may just be more picky when it comes to my Vibram designs.

DN is pretty good about responding to emails and phone inquiries quickly. I have had them text or email me photos of Vibrams in the past. Give 'em a chance to show how good their customer service is.

That is very fair and valid, I have not given them a chance. They may not like me requesting pictures of each and every UnLace/Vibram. I guess my point was that: why, as the consumer, do I need to reach out to them for the information when other sites already provide it?

I understand that point of view. Just playing devil's advocate here, but at Marshall Street you'll pay more for shipping (unless buying more). At DGC you'll wait a week for the disc to arrive. Each place has trade-offs.

Check out communitydiscs.com, too. Justin usually has pics up right quick.

Well I could give detailed reasons if you wanted :hfive:

Those sites can be more nimble about their display options and product variants because it's a more manual system, whereas ours is tied to custom receiving software and a multi-site inventory database. I built the Grip EQ store recently, and it is set up for 1:1 option:image. The new DN site runs on that same platform and we plan to implement our take on the 1:1 photo feature at a future date. Because of our system automation, we're having to develop new software and hardware. It's actually super fun stuff as an ongoing project, but I understand the frustration for you currently :)

I gotta try this, cuz the Lace is my new favorite distance driver. Gonna have to try some more Vibram too...

Thanks for the review, I'm off to order one of these! I'm in that same distance range as you onemile so we'll see what this can do for me

Latest posts