• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The usual suspects

Jordisco

Hi gang, I have checked out this site for a multitude of google searches on tips and info and finally realized that I can register and actually interact with you fine folks. A bit about my disc golf "career":
I started in 2016 but only played a handful of times until they put a course in my town in 2020. In 2020 there was this "thing" going around that prevented me from playing other sports so I went out a lot to play. Started getting more discs...then a bigger bag...then more discs...then learning how to dye discs...then a basket in the backyard. So yeah...I'm fully in now.

I have been watching tutorials and pro coverage pretty extensively the past couple years but seem to have stagnated in my progress. I shoot pretty consistently around par, my lowest round being a -4 on 9 holes with just about everything going my way.

So, any thoughts on how to take that next step?
Some things I know for sure are I need more distance off the tee. I can throw a forehand and a backhand on average around 240 ft, with my top backhand being a valkyrie 280 ft, and my longest forehand being a vanish at around 260 ft. I'd like to get both to 300+ and am working on drills for both.

My putting has vastly improved since I got a basket in the backyard but I get stuck in between "forms" sometimes. Like my natural putt is a hyzer spin putt but I try to throw it flatter (which feels like an annie when I do) but sometimes I either slip back to a hyzer but aim like it's flat or vice-versa.

Any thoughts, tips, welcomes, direction, etc. is greatly appreciated! I'm happy to be here!

Welcome!

Regarding distance and consistency, assuming no physical restrictions, you will probably benefit from the From Critique subforum.

Can't help much with putting or FH yet myself other than to say you came to a great place!

Welcome. Tread lightly in the rabbit hole that is the DGCR Forum, for you may find yourself spending inappropriate amounts of time here.

As Brychanus said, recommend you check out the Technique and Strategy Forum.

This is a great resource and I'm glad you found it. Both for course reviews and discussion of all things Disc Golf, this is a great resource. My wife got me "back" into disc golf around 2015, and I started using DGCR shortly after that. It helped me learn the basics of hyzer/anhyzer, flex shots, overstable vs. understable, disc speed, etc. Then it helped with form questions, rules questions, disc suggestions, bag suggestions, etc. Lots of great people on here and great ideas.

My main suggestion is to continue playing, and particularly to find courses with holes and shots that challenge you. To me, the challenging courses or holes were the ones that I knew I had a chance of hitting with the right throw type and the right disc. Those would keep me coming back. Play a mix of courses, some of those challenging ones where you struggle to make par even from the short tees and some of the open 200' holes where you can play "small bag" or one disc rounds to perfect putter throws and approach shots.

Gradually, as you play more you will learn your current discs and different types of throws. Then you can ask for more suggestions as you realize your weaknesses or the holes in your game. Then the DGCR forums are great to help fill those holes.

As far as these forums, my wife has come to recognize the DGCR color on my computer screen and phone. I'm not on DGCR as much as I used to be, but she still asks: "are you still foruming?"

Hi gang, I have checked out this site for a multitude of google searches on tips and info and finally realized that I can register and actually interact with you fine folks. A bit about my disc golf "career":
I started in 2016 but only played a handful of times until they put a course in my town in 2020. In 2020 there was this "thing" going around that prevented me from playing other sports so I went out a lot to play. Started getting more discs...then a bigger bag...then more discs...then learning how to dye discs...then a basket in the backyard. So yeah...I'm fully in now.

I have been watching tutorials and pro coverage pretty extensively the past couple years but seem to have stagnated in my progress. I shoot pretty consistently around par, my lowest round being a -4 on 9 holes with just about everything going my way.

So, any thoughts on how to take that next step?
Some things I know for sure are I need more distance off the tee. I can throw a forehand and a backhand on average around 240 ft, with my top backhand being a valkyrie 280 ft, and my longest forehand being a vanish at around 260 ft. I'd like to get both to 300+ and am working on drills for both.

My putting has vastly improved since I got a basket in the backyard but I get stuck in between "forms" sometimes. Like my natural putt is a hyzer spin putt but I try to throw it flatter (which feels like an annie when I do) but sometimes I either slip back to a hyzer but aim like it's flat or vice-versa.

Any thoughts, tips, welcomes, direction, etc. is greatly appreciated! I'm happy to be here!

Welcome...