• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

I can definitely see that. I would be almost willing to say that the king is and acquired taste.

Cheers - Koffee

The King is a good disc. I have a "first run" VIP with the big belly button that will glide forever, but needs quite a bit of room to work. My lightweight tourney has a flat top and is a lot easier to control. Nice to hyzer flip into a moderate wind. The speed of the disc makes it fly pretty good in moderate and light wind conditions.

The King does take some getting used to, but it's a good disc that is fun to throw.

As for the comparison to the Havoc... I get more distance from my Kings.

Pot-belly VIP Kings have stupid crazy amounts of glide. The KING of distance if you have room for them to flip.

ive thrown vip and tournament plastic kings. both were flippy. are all kings like this? willing to trade the tournament plastic gold with red stamp 173g if anyone wants it

ive thrown vip and tournament plastic kings. both were flippy. are all kings like this? willing to trade the tournament plastic gold with red stamp 173g if anyone wants it

I'm pretty sure they are all flippy, judging by what everyone has said in this thread. I have only thrown my 173g Tourney and I need to release it with hyzer if the hole is straight ahead. The thing that amazes me is the glide, it just seems to keep going longer than any other disc I have thrown.

I have a handful of moderately stable ones...but even those have a little turn.

I acquired one on the forum last month in trade (a sweet colorshift TP) and its pretty much a dead straight flyer for me with low speed fade. Its effortless distance!

I have a handful of moderately stable ones...but even those have a little turn.

I have four VIP Kings and this is exactly how I would describe all of them. They have the slightest bit of flip and turn which makes them ideal for maximum distance but I need a clean release. Coming over the top when trying to throw flat can get them to burn, but when I get it right, man can they go far.

King. I have owned 2 and they both are the flippiest drivers i have ever thrown.
More than a roadrunner or avenger ss.
First was a VIP and second was a Tourny.
I have a bit of OAT in my longer drives, admittedly, and they force me to clean up my form a bit.

I'd say when thrown pretty clean it does this for me:
300' - goes straight, fades
325' - flex shot
350' - right turn, maybe fades to straight
375' - turns the whole way to ground
400' - touchy, almost a roller

I was able to sneak in a few throws after work today and I stacked them up on the long versus my Giant and Blizzard Boss. My Boss still gets better distance when I do not get that hit or explosion at the point of release, but when do get it right, the King, Boss, and Giant landed within five feet of each (out at about 390 feet). The only difference was the line it took to get out there. The King started out flat, turned at about the 50% mark of its flight, and then faded back at the last 15%. Basically a lot of lateral movement later in the flight. The Boss turns just a little early, locks on that line, and then slowly but steadily fades during the last 10-15%. The Giant in this situation needs an anhyzer flex and early, but it will hold that line for most of its flight and then crash harder at the very end, maybe the last 5-10%.

My VIP King (just ordered a tournament King as well) is straight money...if you have an open spot to throw it. It's a beautiful S-Curve, but all that lateral movement...let's just say the King is not ideal for Tunnel Shots or the woods! I get far and away my max D from this disc. It beats my Blizz Boss by an easy 50 feet every time. But it is certainly not my "go to" driver. If anyone has figured out how to shape lines with a King, my hats off to ya!

okay i'm ready to try and replace my destroyers...

first up the King.... do they have bright neon colored GL?

u wont find any neon gl or tp
I'll respectfully disagree with this, but for some reason Westside tends to go with the crappy Fall colors for whatever reason. I have seen some bright raspberry and bright yellow Tourny discs, Kings included, but they don't do some of the more neon colored discs that Lat64 does.

has anyone noticed that the flight ratings on the King have been changed?

they used to be -1, 4

I think Westside's site now shows 0, 4

btw...I'm not sure the King would be an ideal replacement for a Destroyer...I think the King has quite a bit more turn

that said, the ones I had were "drooping nose" TPs (i.e. low PLH)

I'd actually suggest the Giant...or perhaps heavy VIP Swords

I agree. The King is a great disc, but it and the Destroyer are not really comparable. Especially the VIP Air ones. I love my Air King, but it is definetly flippy.

Latest posts