• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The Westside Shield

So I hit metal twice today with my Shields from 160 and 186. Doinked of the metal band both times. I also chained out with my Fuse from 215, beautiful turnover shot crosswind.

No, the warping that occurred to mine isnt supposed to happen. Although Im not SUPPOSED to smash trees either. I can post a pic later when I get home.

If it's a BT Soft, they warp bad.

Strange enough they don't change flight too much

I put my warped on the shelf after it warped. Took it out last night to field and surprisingly it's pretty much the same flight. A little touchy on the release but I just use it for up shots not drives

Bump. Do any of you braus use a Swan for a "beaten in" Shield?

I decided to give the Tournament Shield a try today. While I love my Gold Line Pures for driving, they are only adequate at approaches and long putts. When I am tired, sore, and or lazy, a lot of my shots come out to the right. For the Pure that holds a line all the way to the ground, it is not coming back if I am off target. That is been growing increasingly maddening recently, definitely adding throws to my score.

So I am giving the Shield a try because it seems to have more low speed fade.

Initial throws gave me mixed results. While flight charts suggest that it is as long as a Pure, I found that it required a lot more power to get the same distance, which means that shots I would finesse with my Pure would come up short with the Shield. However, after some adjustments, I started to zero it in. By the end of the two round of testing, the Pure remained the better driving putter when I need a singular line, the Shield was mildly better at approaching (not bad considering I am just learning the disc), and was considerably better at longer putts.

I am mostly Trilogy, but I have been also looking for a driving putter that will fade if suddenly given a lot of elevation drop below it. Thrown flat the Pure might flip up, it might not, it depends on the wind. If thrown with a hyzer, it will hold the hyzer a long time and could likely overshoot the landing spot. This is an infrequent shot but in the bag it is currently covered by the Envy. I am not happy with the Envy and am hoping the Shield will not only cover long approaches, but can also handle this occasional elevation drop drive. So far it is looking promising because I would like to take the Envy out of the bag.

I just started doing exactly this. Don't know if a beat shield will behave like a new swan. But I needed something less stable than the Shield since I didn't beat a Shield that much yet... And I like the Swan a lot now.

I just started doing exactly this. Don't know if a beat shield will behave like a new swan. But I needed something less stable than the Shield since I didn't beat a Shield that much yet... And I like the Swan a lot now.

Word. There's just some putter shots (touch) that a Shield just doesn't excel at, at least until it's beaten in, which could take awhile.

I carry a Swan but it's my turnover disc and putting putter. It's really beat in. I also swap out between Shields and Envys. Overall I think I like the Shield more. It's slower then an Envy and easier to range without overshooting the basket.

I carry a Swan but it's my turnover disc and putting putter. It's really beat in. I also swap out between Shields and Envys. Overall I think I like the Shield more. It's slower then an Envy and easier to range without overshooting the basket.

I love the Shield on approaches when I have room to hyzer in, just not a fan of it when it's a tighter shot and have to give it some anny. I'd rather throw something neutral straight.

I think a Warden would be a nice compliment as its a bit straighter than Swan. Today I use a soft Pure for approach and turnover drives. It's just a bit shallower so Warden could be closer feelwise.

I've used a Medium Shield now for 4 months and it's still not turning. I really like it for straight shots when I can use some power. For shorter shots the Pure is more controllable.

To my surprise, the Hard Shield showed turn almost right out of the box. I just hate the slippery plastic so I'm playing around with the Warden, at least until the Medium starts turning.

I love the Shield on approaches when I have room to hyzer in, just not a fan of it when it's a tighter shot and have to give it some anny. I'd rather throw something neutral straight.

I thought you were a Wizard boy? I like throwing the Shield straight myself. It's got the HSS to handle any power or wind that I've played in while not fading out too hard. Heck you can OAT the snot out of it and it'll still fly straight. Really reminds me of a slower Suspect which I love also.

I thought you were a Wizard boy? I like throwing the Shield straight myself. It's got the HSS to handle any power or wind that I've played in while not fading out too hard. Heck you can OAT the snot out of it and it'll still fly straight. Really reminds me of a slower Suspect which I love also.

Lol I am/was. I'm rolling a "fun" Trilogy bag and Shields are essentially the Euro Wizard. I should have clarified, I like them on power straight shots not low-power straight shots which seems a swan would be perfect for.

Lol I am/was. I'm rolling a "fun" Trilogy bag and Shields are essentially the Euro Wizard. I should have clarified, I like them on power straight shots not low-power straight shots which seems a swan would be perfect for.

Yeah I say go for it, At low speeds the Swan is straight (100-150 feet), that's why I like it for putting. It'll feel similar in hand to a Shield as well, just a bit shallower. I just love the BT Medium plastic too, grippy yet firm enough for me.

I still would like to see a VIP Swan, I just wonder how great it could be with some more stability for driving. With the VIP/TP Shields recent release maybe they will also make Swans too. Shields have enough stability for me where I'm not that crazy that I need one. I carry a Suspect and sometimes a Premium Jokeri when the wind is really up.

I had my basket out last night and was throwing some putters i don't bag often: Shield (which I used a lot in the snow last winter), Judge, Aero, Aviar, and Harp.

I don't know what was going on, but I had the Shield dialed in - I was just draining 30-50 footers, felt like a glove. This was the Trilogy Challenge Shield from last year, all beat up.

I'm going to try it out on the course again to see if I can reproduce that.

Has anyone noticed the Shield and Mercy have incredibly similar profiles and feels. I think the Mercy is a bit shallower though?

Has anyone noticed the Shield and Mercy have incredibly similar profiles and feels. I think the Mercy is a bit shallower though?

Yea I actually did notice this when I played with my buddy who bags mercys. They're pretty similar feel

Latest posts