• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Worst Disc Golf Advertising Campaign Ever!!!

Original post of this thread quoted here:

"So I'm sitting on my toilet reading my newest issue of DiscGolfer and after about the fifteenth time reading it an add finally catches my eye. At first I think it is an add for a daycare or maybe a summer camp. But no it is actually an add for a new disc manufacturer called ABC Discs. Now if anyone has seen this add then you know what Im talking about, it has a bunch of kids holding crudely made lettering and cheap looking discs with letters written on them in Sharpie spelling out... you guessed it ABC Discs. Now I may be coming off like an add snob but I really dont think this is the best way of advertising campaign for a new disc company. Hell is it really that hard to come up with a decent logo and some cool slogan like "ABC Discs... We make Innova and Discraft our Bitches". No instead I get this kiddy add that I truly didn't even notice till I was on the tail end of a monster crap. I of course went and checked out their website to see there discs and was even more let down to see that it is one page with a space where you can enter your email address so they can send you information on their discs. Discs mind you that should be releasing this month."

Thanks for the insight Terry.

You have clearly made up your mind as to just how good or bad this company is going to be. You have already nailed down and honed in your assessment and there is no where else to go from here. Needless to say, it seems like you have spent a good amount of time developing this assessment all for something you have already deemed inferior. Sounds like a case of wasting a bunch of time just to be negative about a product you've already dismissed. You also say how the "add" (incorrect homonym used by you) is basically junk but yet you came out to a discussion board to discuss just that - the ad. Anyone else here smell irony?

I wish this company or any other disc golf company the best of luck in their endeavors. It takes a great deal of courage, experience, and dedication to the game to create any product or service which is made available to the disc golf family.

Last edited:
If it is aimed for family, might check them out for my 8 year old, but they need more info on their site. im not subscribing for a news letter.

I give these guys props. They obviously are starting out with very humble beginnings, and that takes more courage than I have. I once toyed with the idea of getting into disc manufacturing and I soon realized what I was up against. Hell, a lot of people don't even leave Innova or Discraft despite the fact that they sell superb discs, how is some small startup going to make it? Kudos to your guys and hopefully one day you afford to hire an ad guru.

We should be supporting companies like this. I'll try them out if I can get my hands on some :D

Is it just me, or does the kid on the right kind of look like that pic of War Eagle that was posted a while back....hmmmm, perhaps he just needed our technology to build his own disc golf empire...

They were smart on their marketing part to capture your emails. Most people who does internet advertising would do that to build an email list. That's how they get $$$.

Hopefully they will evolve into another millennium type company with a nice, small, quality assortment of discs, not 100 molds that fly 8 different ways.

I emailed them about discs and they said,

"We are about 2 weeks away from PDGA approved discs. I will be in touch.
Thanks for your interest!!

Dan"

The person behind this is a good friend of mine from the Chicago area named Dan Pastore.

He is a great guy with a great vision for some new discs.
They will be producing 4-5 discs right off the bat.
Keep your ears open for more info.

btw.. ABC discs stands for "A Better Choice of discs."

The person behind this is a good friend of mine from the Chicago area named Dan Pastore.

where is the chicago area?

I think we should give these guys a chance. Some of you guys are being overly critical over an ad. I have been in the design business for quite some time and have seen some ridiculous ads, and this isn't even close to what would qualify as bad compared to some of the sh!t I have seen published.

Thanks for that tid bit of information.

I've always been a supporter of the little guy or the under dog in just about everything. I think it's great that someone out there has the ambition to enter the disc golf market. The more players (as in companies) in the market makes for more competition. Generally this ups the ante for all companies to improve quality.

I wish Mr. Pastore the very best of luck. I will certainly be keeping an eye open for his company's big debut. I hope his visions come to fruition and he's able to help take the game as well as disc golfers to the next level.

OK, I am not going to read all these comments but I personally KNOW this guy..his name is dan pastore and I don't really know his idea behind the kids thing but I think its to show that his company is a "family" based organization...the guy is EXTREMELY nice and before you go knocking his ad campaign, just remember how expensive it can be to make an ad...AND..lemme get this right..you were skimming through the magazine and THIS one caught your eye? (isnt that the point of marketing? am I right?) Anyways, he is producing 3 discs (or 5 I can't remember) and they will be molded here shortly, he is actually going to sponsor my turkey shootout and he has JUST started the business...he sells alot of roc's and other rare discs....he does alot for the community and I would be glad to have him as a sponsor! So before you go knocking his ad..just remember it caught YOUR eye...

Last edited:
I think it's pretty cool. And the ads aren't that bad. My caddie (my wife that goes along for the walk) is getting an interest in playing. If they have something that has an easy learning curve that won't frustrate her I'm in.

and why is everyone emailing him about FREE discs...JUST because hes starting to mold them you aren't willing to toss him some money? I would be more then happy to pay like 5 bucks a disc for the new molds..hell I probably will if he asks me! We will see when I get in contact with him some more...

Latest posts