• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The worst shots you have ever thrown thread

I must be a "glass is half full", optimistic kind of guy: I tend to wipe memories of really bad outcomes in favor of remembering the really sweet ones. That being said, in response to the thread focus, I do recall embarrassing shots from my first year playing... like how did I get that throw stuck near the top of THAT tree? But I really remember them for the fact that kind-hearted younger (but more experienced) players saw my predicament ( the two or three times I did it) and generously offered to climb up there and retrieve my disc(s) for me. Meeting good folks like that at the outset really got me hooked on the camaraderie of disc golf.

"Worst" memorable shot a friend threw, though, might be "black acing" the 17th basket off of an icy 18th tee pad at AJ Jolly. If you've ever played there, you'd know that was a FEAT.
Yea, I still remember him walking over to the basket and pulling his disc out. We didnt see what happened from the tee, and were like, WTF??

My worst shot was in my first tournament. It was an ice bowl and it was living up to its name with freezing temps and howling winds.

There was a 300' temp hole that played from the bottom of an earthen dam, over the 50' dam, and on to the beach next to the lake. I threw my shot with my noob nose up trajectory and the bottom of the flight plate found that 40 mph wind coming off the lake. It proceeded to fly straight up and backwards and land beside the tee pad. It then rolled into the untouched thorn bush forest about 80' behind the tee pad.

So now it went from a 300' wide open shot to a 400'ish thorn/cursing infested hole. I did not know about the optional rethrow. I still hear about that throw everytime I throw with those guys.

Last week at doubles league, I was face with a gap that I had to hit - both sides of the gap were mandos, followed by an immediate dogleg left. I was behind a tree with low branches. My only shot was a roller from a knee, or try to throw a very low line, under the branches and skip through the mando trees. I went the skip shot. Pulled out my Felon and approached our lie. My throw was a tad bit too low. I drove it right in to the ground 30 feet in front of me and it came to a dead stop.

When I first started playing I used to throw my drives straight into the ground, I mean straight in. The ground in front of the tee pads looked like when Superman baby first landed in Smallville in that meteor.

StorkLanding.jpg

Worst shot ever...throwing from the one long tee to 3's basket in a safari league at White Birch. Hyzer drive so I'm on an uphill incline throwing across a hill. I failed to account for the slope so my arm came through on a big anny angle. Flipped an Aviar on a big turnover line that went into the woods by 3's basket and hit nothing. The shot is still turning and the downhill slope means there is no ground there. It glides over the tees for 2 and hits nothing, rides down the creek past 1's basket and hits nothing. Heavily wooded all the way, it's just turning and seeing-eye flying in a big arc. Finally it cut through the treeline and landed behind the short tee for 1. It was at least 100' BEHIND where I had thrown from. No wind to blame, just human error.

I was putting for par on #4 at Raven's Ridge. It's a steep uphill drive but my second shot was 15' out. I donked the putt and watch my disc roll 250' downhill past the tees and into the ravine. :doh:

I took a penalty stroke, saved my five, and never spoke of that moment again until today!

Middle Creek DGC, Cary, NC: Hole #18s fairway runs semi parallel with the park road on the left that is really not all that close and shouldn't pose any problem. However, when I was still quite new at DG I threw a horrible newbie hyzer with my prized Archangel that landed out in the road just as a woman in a mini van rounded the bend. I swear she had to have seen it land in the road in front of her and intentionally aimed right for it. :mad:

I have seen many drivers intentionally hit discs at Middle Creek. Lots of impolite drivers at that school.

I have seen many drivers intentionally hit discs at Middle Creek. Lots of impolite drivers at that school.

I had this happen to me at Evansville in WI. I watched 4 (yes, 4) cars in row intentionally run over my disc. It was right in the middle of the lane, so they all had to swerve to hit it.

Jokes on them - the disc was fine.

Also, last time I was there I had a roller that went OB into the same road, but directly into a passing cars' tire. The discs looked like it flew up into the wheel well, and then came spitting out the other direction, rolling nicely back in bounds. As he drove past I thanked him for saving me a stroke.

I had this happen to me at Evansville in WI. I watched 4 (yes, 4) cars in row intentionally run over my disc. It was right in the middle of the lane, so they all had to swerve to hit it.

Jokes on them - the disc was fine.

Also, last time I was there I had a roller that went OB into the same road, but directly into a passing cars' tire. The discs looked like it flew up into the wheel well, and then came spitting out the other direction, rolling nicely back in bounds. As he drove past I thanked him for saving me a stroke.

That's is crazy I have seen the same thing (disc in wheel well spit back in play) at Kentwood in Raleigh. Kentwood is another course where cars will swerve to run over a disc.

This is a 513' par 5 hole that has a hill in front of the tee so no run up. The hole goes through a 8' gap of the tee and the desired line is a hyzer. I throw my CD3 (second to last throw before I lost it) as it ended me up with an eagle opportunity the previous round. I snagged a root just slightly and when I followed through my arm fell and the disc hyzered straight into the tree as pictured here. It is about 40' and slightly to the left of the tee. I still saved the bogey as my upshots weren't perfect.

Attachments

• 0506171529.jpg
    0506171529.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 37
Ashe County Park, Jefferson, NC. Hole 18, an 820 foot downhill par 4, wooded tunnel for 400 ft, open field for 400 ft.

fOUvCCY.jpg

Going into hole 18 I knew I had a hell of a round going. Probably my best tournament round ever. I get my second shot on that bank, slightly behind that large tree. The basket is only 150' away, under the tree and then over a small roll in the hillside. Should be a pretty easy upshot to tap in a par 4.

For some reason, I gun the damn thing like I'm throwing another drive. I throw about 150' past the basket and past the OB road. I take my OB lie, jump putt from 90' like an idiot, fade down the hill to another 40' putt, miss it, and end up taking a triple bogey 7.

I gave up 3 strokes on the last hole of the round due to a terrible upshot, and I ended up with a 1005 rated round. If I had taken a par there I would have had my best tournament by 15 points. Dangit.

I hit a woman in the head when she stood up after hiding behind a tree with her small child who was peeing. Fortunate it was not the kid. :doh:

I'm pretty sure my worst shot ever was my very first time throwing off the 'top of the world' at Whistler's Bend (From the top tee, the hole is about 800ft long, and 300ft down). I think I'd been playing less than 6 months at the time, and I'd never played a course with any real elevation change to it. Throwing LHBH, I picked my longest, flippiest driver at the time (a Monarch, I think), and put it out with full power on a hyzer line..

.. and watched as the disc turned over and went.. and went.. and went. For those that know Whistlers Bend, it ended up past the bathrooms nearly to the boat launch.. easily 1200+ ft from the pin (and uphill the whole way)! :doh:

Come to think of it, that day didn't get much better afterward. Round 2 that day had another really rough moment. On hole 7 (old layout, with the cliff down to the river all along the right side of the fairway), my drive, fading hard right, took a triple skip and plunged over the cliff. Looking down, I could see it about 10ft out in the (knee-deep) river. So.. I scaled down the cliff, waded out, retrieved the disc, and climbed back up. Exhausted, I tossed the disc a couple feet to my bag.. only to have it hit on edge, and roll straight over the cliff again. :doh:

Playing Latimer Lakes in Horn Lake, MS....before they added the second course...
Not sure what hole this was on (6 maybe), but it was after a very hard rain...
Tee pads were slick...large red clay mud puddle in front of the tee box....
(you see where this is going, right?)

Didn't do a big run up, just a walking pace X step, as I pivot around my foot slips and
my momentum carries me out over the puddle, turns me horizontally to the ground, and
then gravity took over....I landed on my left side right in the middle of this nasty puddle....
my entire left side was covered in red muddy clay from my shoulder to my ankle...and I was
completely soaked as well....the throw went about 150', the rest of the round was pretty
miserable after that, but I toughed it out and finished the course.

Last edited:
My worst throw involved scuffing the paint on my truck and breaking a window on my house... all in one terrible shot.
Not coincidentally, I stopped developing my forehand technique for a while :)

Most "honorable mention" shots involve heinous 200' roll-aways on my insanely hilly home course. :(

Last edited:
...On hole 7 (old layout, with the cliff down to the river all along the right side of the fairway), my drive, fading hard right, took a triple skip and plunged over the cliff. Looking down, I could see it about 10ft out in the (knee-deep) river. So.. I scaled down the cliff, waded out, retrieved the disc, and climbed back up. Exhausted, I tossed the disc a couple feet to my bag.. only to have it hit on edge, and roll straight over the cliff again. :doh:

Your buddies must have been rolling on the ground laughing! :clap:

Did you go back down after it again? :popcorn:

...Round 2 that day had another really rough moment. On hole 7 (old layout, with the cliff down to the river all along the right side of the fairway), my drive, fading hard right, took a triple skip and plunged over the cliff. Looking down, I could see it about 10ft out in the (knee-deep) river. So.. I scaled down the cliff, waded out, retrieved the disc, and climbed back up. Exhausted, I tossed the disc a couple feet to my bag.. only to have it hit on edge, and roll straight over the cliff again. :doh:

LOL! All you can do is laugh when this happens...
:clap:

I clocked some kid on his bike with a full power drive. I didn't feel bad at all, theres a sign at the entrance saying "Warning you are entering a disc golf course". It's not my fault people like to walk up and down the fairways and take photos.

I hit a car once too, forgot about that until reading marmosets recolections.

It was at McCurry Park on number 3, was playing the FH line and it went longer than I expected and made it to the road. Looked like it was going to fade back and be a solid shot, but a guy in a explorer came through and it hit his windshield. He didn't seem concerned though.

Griplocked one at my home course and it skipped off the windshield of a city truck. Dude didn't even tap the brakes after it hit...