• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Year in Review

maansmit

Double Eagle Member
With the year drawing to a close, I thought it would be interesting to see some statistics form my fellow dyers.

1. # of dyes completed this year
2. How many were commissioned dyes
3. How many are still in your possession
4. Most frequently dyed disc
5. Most frequent dye theme
6. What is your best/favorite dye completed this year

I will start things off.

1. 65
2. 33
3. 14
4. MVP Ion - 16
5. Chicago spors teams (6)
6. Tom & Jerry, Shelby Cobra logo, Superman, and Falling Leaves Octhrowberfest entry

1. 30+
2. 1
3. 7-8, I need to stop giving them away
4. Predator
5. CAL designs
6. Batman dye, maybe, mostly any of my most recent stuff. Haven't been doing it very long.

I just started Dyeing in May, so my stats are a bit low...

1) 44 dyes completed
2) 20 were commission/13 were retail
3) 13
4) 3-4 Valkyries
5) Star Wars
6) Bullseye, or Led Zeppelin poster

I need to ship out 2 discs today, and then I'll be able to work on more of my own discs. Also, still getting orders for more commission dyes before the end of the year.

A fun idea Maansmit, useful too. I started in February so I may be a tad obsessive/compulsive ;). I do try to warn people about the addictive nature of what we do.

1. Around 140, 10 were 1 shot tests (marbling and brainwaves) that are either sold, throwers, or lost.
2. 21, 7 were tournament discs.
3. have/had 31, 13 currently for sale, 5 on the wall, 8 throwers, and 5 lost.
4. Mark it Zero and Steal Your Face tied at 6.
5. Music/bands at 25, with 9 of those Grateful Dead themed.
6. The sky aperture disc. (gotta include the pic!)

skyaperturesDSC_8063.jpg

I didn't know you only had a 3 month head start on me, Dan. Crazy to think that it was mostly your dyes that inspired me to learn the art.

1. Looks like 60-65
2. Around 20-25
3. 14
4. 5 Rivers, 5 fuses, oh, wait, 6 Jokeris.
5. Do geometric/radial designs count as a subject?
6. Hmmm...I think Mario just because he's so crisp and clean
IMAG0234.jpg

Man, its hard to compete with you guys, bunch of great artists. I have only been dyeing since the Octhrowberfest, so two and a half months. Would have liked to have done more but two jobs and a kiddo keep me busy. Anyways here it is

1. 11
2. 3
3. 7
4. Tie between Champion and Ion
5. No themes yet , unless you count RockNRolla and OLdBoy as movie themes.
6. It would have to be my first, Frankenstein, clean and simple.

Fun idea!
1. 70
2. 23
3. 21
4. Flick - 9
5. Patterns and designs. I like the geometric patterns.
6. My Steelers Champ Teebird. My first marbled disc.

1. around 80-90
2. 20ish
3. 15 for now
4. Venom Head or if disc Buzzz
5. Superheroes about 70% of all dyes
6. Favorite-Ferdinand the Bull or Hunger Games Trilogy, Best-Dissintagrating Rubics Cube (Because more people reacted to this than others, personally I think it's boring)

I have found it interesting that the discs that I like the most and think are best are not Superheroes.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I didn't know you only had a 3 month head start on me, Dan. Crazy to think that it was mostly your dyes that inspired me to learn the art.
^I agree. And thanks to all the great dyers here who inspired me and shared your expertise and techniques. I did my first dye in September and am full on addicted!
#1 35 dyes so far...(still a few days left in the year)
#2 0 commissions, but 11 were gifts/requests for friends and family members
#3 20 dyes still in my possession (12 in my bag)
#4 lots of dyes on champ plastic
#5 6 various skulls, 2 each of Hendrix and Jerry Garcia
#6 Best/favorite?? I guess the second Jimi (the first dyed disc I sold)
Lat64OptoCoreJimi.jpg

Last edited:
A fun idea Maansmit, useful too. I started in February so I may be a tad obsessive/compulsive ;). I do try to warn people about the addictive nature of what we do.

1. Around 140, 10 were 1 shot tests (marbling and brainwaves) that are either sold, throwers, or lost.
2. 21, 7 were tournament discs.
3. have/had 31, 13 currently for sale, 5 on the wall, 8 throwers, and 5 lost.
4. Mark it Zero and Steal Your Face tied at 6.
5. Music/bands at 25, with 9 of those Grateful Dead themed.
6. The sky aperture disc. (gotta include the pic!)

skyaperturesDSC_8063.jpg

How in the world did you have time to do 140?

Experience is the best teacher and I was motivated to learn, there were many, many late nights. A second dye pot and a reasonable deal from the local disc golf store helped (that's the useful part of this exercise, I'm showing him these #'s and hope to renegotiate that deal). That and the ground unicorn horn, stretches time you know ;).

But it ain't just me, there are others who have done more. Burntneuron did 60 discs in 12 days for a local course fundraiser.

Cool thread Maansmit! I started in January last year and took a slow and steady approach, kinda opposite to Dan... Work kinda got in the way too, was way busy all summer.

1. 25
2. 0 (a couple for gifts)
3. 19 (traded a couple)
4. Whippet (3) for molds, Trogdor is the only dye I have redone.
5. $tar W@rs (5)
6. Reaper Waiting Room, my fave. Trogdor has gotten the most attention.

1. 31
2. 3, only just started this.
3. 15, lost some, gave away the rest.
4. wraith.
5. I think all 31 are something different.
6. Disc Golf Island.
DSCN9113.jpg
[/IMG]

1. 38
2. 7, 2 more just commissioned today
3. 30, but I could trade some for the right plastic
4. Starfire/SL
5. probably Lebowski or Buddha, made two for myself and got commissions for the same disc dyes
6. Hard one but I'd have to say I could stare at my Don Quixote SL all day, that or my ATHF Katana is pretty sweet..

Been dyeing since August, so I guess I'm taking Dan's approach. Speed and progress, a lot of late night's and a lot of nagging from the wife, but I still manage to do about 2 a week on average. The commissions help since I still have yet to take money for a dye, sorry I only take plastic. :D