• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Zero Poll

Have you used the Zero Rating

• No....even the worst course is a 0.5...zero means void

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • No...I have not used zero but believe theres a zero out there

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • Yes...I use zero when the course is unplayable

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Yes...I use zero for the worst course I play

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A zero would mean there is no course. So by a course's very existence it should get a minimum 0.5.
A zero does not mean that there isn't a course. It means that the course is "abysmal". I have played an abysmal course and rated it as such. I am not the only one that feels this way.

Read for yourself

Interesting points JimB and your right about the bell curve. I was surprised that the top and bottom of the scale are actually close but the bell graph definetely is a bit too far to the right for my tastes. I thought it might have to do with the fact that not many people use the zero option which is ok as long as there are roughly the same number of reviews at the high end which there are actually less.....(19 zeros and just 6 fives) I might start a do you use the 5 option poll. Regardless here is the Bell Curve and how it leans to the right:

0.0-0.5 0.51-1.0 1.01-1.5 1.51-2.0 2.01-2.5 2.51-3.0 3.01-3.5 3.51-4.0 4.01-4.5 4.51-5

65 43 186 288 383 515 524 437 173 41

2.4% 1.6% 7.0% 10.8% 14.4% 19.3% 19.7% 16.5% 6.5% 1.5%
Don't your numbers show that we have given more 0.0-0.5 ratings than 4.51-5.0 ratings?

I find that interesting. I'd think that would NOT be the case as people would seek the 4.5-5.0 level courses and avoid the 0.0-0.5 courses...

A zero does not mean that there isn't a course. It means that the course is "abysmal". I have played an abysmal course and rated it as such. I am not the only one that feels this way.

Read for yourself

Well lets agree to disagree. I feel differently. If there is a course regardless of how horrible it is, I would give it a .5 just for its simple existence. Maybe the course just needs some love and attention. Maybe it would be good for little kids. Maybe there isn't another course of any quality for many miles. If the baskets at a course are used as trash bins or are in a horrible state of repair including some missing now becomes an object course. Its all perspective.

And on the flip side, 5 rated courses... I take more into consideration than just how it plays. But then I'm an average "rec" player. I look at the bigger picture than just the technical aspects of the game. And a course with no place to "pee pee" except the woods is not a 5 because there is something I would do to improve it.

If I'm going out of town and I'm looking to play a round on my trip I look at reviews. I'm not going to waste my time on a course with anything less than a 2 rating unless that's all to be had in that area. I read all the reviews available for a course new to me. If this course is rated a 5 but there are no amenities I might choose a 4 rated course with the things I like in a course.

I also "read into" what the reviewer says. Some people are overly effusive with praise for things and that immediately knocks their rating in my mind. Then some others are disc golf snobs who put down everything but the most technically demanding courses, and this comes through in their reviews so I bump the number in my head a bit.

Unfortunately like almost everything else in this sport, there is no real consistency.

A perfect case in point locally is Chestnut Ridge. I played it once as a noob. I did not rate it. If I were to rate it today based on what I know about the sport it might only get a 2.5 from me. while several othrs rated it as high as 4.5. I can't fathom why. Signs were inaccurate, it is difficult to negotiate without a map and even then it isn't that easy for a noob. And if my memory serves correctly it was at one time considered a Top Ten course. Of the course I've played it would be at the bottom of the list.

...people would seek the 4.5-5.0 level courses and avoid the 0.0-0.5 courses...

Sure, we *seek* glory, but mostly we're disappointed. I play any course, just to have the experience of playing it. Doesn't mean I'll play it again.

Well lets agree to disagree. I feel differently. If there is a course regardless of how horrible it is, I would give it a .5 just for its simple existence. Maybe the course just needs some love and attention. Maybe it would be good for little kids. Maybe there isn't another course of any quality for many miles. If the baskets at a course are used as trash bins or are in a horrible state of repair including some missing now becomes an object course. Its all perspective.

And on the flip side, 5 rated courses... I take more into consideration than just how it plays. But then I'm an average "rec" player. I look at the bigger picture than just the technical aspects of the game. And a course with no place to "pee pee" except the woods is not a 5 because there is something I would do to improve it.

If I'm going out of town and I'm looking to play a round on my trip I look at reviews. I'm not going to waste my time on a course with anything less than a 2 rating unless that's all to be had in that area. I read all the reviews available for a course new to me. If this course is rated a 5 but there are no amenities I might choose a 4 rated course with the things I like in a course.

I also "read into" what the reviewer says. Some people are overly effusive with praise for things and that immediately knocks their rating in my mind. Then some others are disc golf snobs who put down everything but the most technically demanding courses, and this comes through in their reviews so I bump the number in my head a bit.

Unfortunately like almost everything else in this sport, there is no real consistency.

A perfect case in point locally is Chestnut Ridge. I played it once as a noob. I did not rate it. If I were to rate it today based on what I know about the sport it might only get a 2.5 from me. while several othrs rated it as high as 4.5. I can't fathom why. Signs were inaccurate, it is difficult to negotiate without a map and even then it isn't that easy for a noob. And if my memory serves correctly it was at one time considered a Top Ten course. Of the course I've played it would be at the bottom of the list.
No worries here. I love dorking out on this stuff at work. I feel a zero means that this course should not be here. It is more damaging for the sport than good.

Ive never given a zero, but I imagine there is one out there that could be.

Zero!

Real picture at NE PA Campground.

That makes me want to peel the skin from my body.:gross: Why God, why? The lowest that I have given is a 1. I have only played 43 courses, so I am sure that I will play one that is worse 1 day. I agree with someone on some thread that said "Some courses do more harm than good", so I guess I have no problem with dishing out a 0 disc rating if it not only wasting baskets, but doing harm to our object of addiction.

Last edited:
Don't your numbers show that we have given more 0.0-0.5 ratings than 4.51-5.0 ratings?

I find that interesting. I'd think that would NOT be the case as people would seek the 4.5-5.0 level courses and avoid the 0.0-0.5 courses...

I don't seek out 4-5 course. I look for the courses that need pictures taken, those that have low review numbers, also If a 1 star course is 12 minutes from a 5 star, I will play both while most people will play the 5 star twice.

Opti, ZERO DGC has a couple holes missing, I submit this for one of the missing:
736e35ea.jpg

Apparently there are basket hunters local to the area so the species has adapted to use camoflauge to stay hidden.

I've only done one review on this site and it was a Z. It was more of a revenge rating because the course is behind my old high school. I think if it had been anywhere else I might have given it a 0.5. but this course is a true disaster. I don't regret giving the course a Z. If I was grading the Park/Community center as a whole I would give a 4-4.5. the DG course keeps it from being perfect.

necromanced for the noobs. With all of the talk on reviews it is only a matter of time until this subject comes back up.
I have seen some 3-4 disc courses rated 1 lately, and seen a few 0 ratings from very trusted reviewers.