• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] This guy's ROC love; crazy or perfect?

GabeEtzel

THE SCOOP: I played a local dubs tournament sponsored by our pro shop today. While there my friend talked to a guy about discs, he said my friend needed a dx roc, fair enough. When getting into further detail he told him to get multiple (like 4 or 5) rocs that do totally different things (hyzer, straight, Annie, etc).
I COME IN: he looked at my bag and said I need to get rid of most of my 18 and go with a similar roc-love strategy. The big problem is I hate rocs...
THREE QUESTIONS: Does this guy have great advice, or horrible? Can I use buzzzs instead, if this advice is good? How do I make the fight patterns so different, wear and plastic?

PS: I have one year under my belt, throw RHBH, and can probably throw my buzzz ss 200-250 ft

The big problem is I hate rocs...

Sounds like you know the answer. What can anyone on here type to make this quote mean nothing? Rocs will make you 1000 rated? They produce gold eggs?

Don't let people experience bully you into a disc. You are the one who has to throw it in the end.

It's often a good ideas to have a couple (or more) of the same mold that are worn differently and will behave differently. I've seen a lot of people take a similar approach as this guy, carrying 5+ of the same disc (Rocs, usually), but I find 2 or 3 is often enough for me. I carry 2 Rocs, one more straight/stable and the other a little on the flippy side; I don't have a Roc worn enough to be super flippy or a dependable roller. I have a similar deal with TeeDevils, Teebirds, Darts, and Aviars.

Whether you use the Buzzz or the Roc is irrelevant, as long as you throw the one you like the most. Having 2 Buzzzes in different stages of wear can be just as useful as 2 Rocs.

Since you are (relatively new), you don't need to worry about having 3-5 of the same disc; that's something that might be an option down the road. For now, you should stick with the one you have, maybe grab another one so you can learn how differently they'll fly when new vs worn.

One of the biggest advantages of throwing a bunch of the same discs, is that you don't have to worry about having 20+ different molds in your bag. It's hard to go up to a tee and be unsure whether you should throw a Roc or a Buzzz or a Gator. So if you have a couple different Rocs to choose from, all you have to do is figure out which one to throw.

Rocs are indeed very versatile discs in different plastics and stages of wear, he's definitely not wrong about that. But if you don't like how a Roc feels, then you won't like throwing them, and they won't work for you. Buzzz is a different type of disc, and while you can have multiple stages of wear of those too and they will be useful, they won't be able to cover the same range as Rocs can.

But you don't really need the Roc to cover that range, neither do you need any one specific mold. I for example also don't like how the Roc feels in my hand, and handle my mid range duties with a Vector for overstable stuff, a flat and gummy C-MD2 for high powered straight shots and sweeping hyzers (it will also fly dead nuts straight into 30 mph winds, which was surprising) and two D-MD2's in different stages of wear for more low powered and understable stuff. It's not impossible to fill the slots with different discs, but you have to find what works for you. The discs I mentioned work for me, but I won't say they'll work for you, you'd have to figure that out yourself.

And did he tell you that there are multiple molds of the Roc? Did he tell you which one would be best for you? Did he tell you at what point each Roc gets to a different beat point and then you have to buy a new one to get that new Roc throw?
If there is a slot in your midrange game that the Buzzz doesn't fill, try a Wasp from Discraft. They do what a Roc does and they dont change after wear. I have used and abused my Wasp for two years and it still throws like a brand new Roc.

you can only throw a roc or you aren't playing disc golf right.

:popcorn:

THREE QUESTIONS: Does this guy have great advice, or horrible? Can I use buzzzs instead, if this advice is good? How do I make the fight patterns so different, wear and plastic?

PS: I have one year under my belt, throw RHBH, and can probably throw my buzzz ss 200-250 ft

The advice is fine, I'd take it with a grain of salt as it doesn't sound like he saw either of you throw. And it seems that the people most eager to give you advice are the last one's to listen too (self included) ;)

Making the flights different is pretty easy. I use 2 dx and a premium. One dx is beat up pretty good and turns nice, one is fresh(ish) and very straight, and a star roc for overstable. These are all rancho mold rocs, you could also use San Marino and ontario molds to give you different flights, but I like using the same mold.

Plus dx rocs are about $7-$8, it couldn't hurt to grab one and try it. They're easy to trade if you don't like it

I use beat DX (bar stamp) Gazelles and Vipers for all of my "roc" duties. My game improved drastically once I stopped trying to force myself to use rocs. To each his own.

I throw almost all innova drivers but when it comes to mids I bypassed the carrying 4+ rocs trend. I throw a drone when I need stability, a wasp when I need to go straight and a meteor whim I need some turn. Simple huh? Also if I lose one, I just go buy another and it does what I expect it to do. This way I don't have to wonder before I buy a disc what its going to fly like. This route seems to work best for my logical thinking ways.

If you like buzzes, use em. The roc is a great disc, but you won't have good results if you dislike your disc. I would definitely recommend getting at least one more buzz, if only for backup. Nothing's worse than being in the middle of a hotly contested round, be it with friends or at a tourney, and losing a key disc.

the roc is the one disc that everyone should try at least once. Give a roc a couple rounds and if it doesn't work then go elsewhere. But at least give it a shot.

A lot of this game is about self-fulfilling prophecies. If you throw a disc that you are skepitcal about, when you do have a bad throw you are only going to hate it more. If you purchase a disc thinking it is going to be your savior, it only takes one good throw to see its potential and thus will make it really easy to forgive all your bad throws.

Go with the Roc, it is a good disc, but if you have any doubts about how it is going to fly for you before you put down any money, I guarantee you are going to regret it. If you can go into it with an open mind, then maybe it has a chance. I can also guarantee that the person you were talking about would absolutely hate the Buzzz if he were to give it a try just because of his mindset.

Throw what's comfortable. Like some people said, having several of the same mold can be advantageous, but not necessary. I carry four different Z Buzzzes in my bag, well 3 Z and one Ti. I've got a glow that I can trust more into the wind, an old Z that's very stable, and then my Ti and lighter Z take over for turnover duties.

There's nothing special about the Roc. The real issue is learning to throw one disc in different stages of wear, or at least learning to throw understable plastic. Z Buzzzes don't ever break in to be as understable as a nicely seasoned DX Roc, so you could get an X Buzzz and/or ESP Meteor, break those in, and be covered for a similar set of lines as a Roc thrower.

Looking at the title I was expecting a guy with a Roc tattoo or something

So was I.

OP, I experienced a significant improvement in my game when I started carrying multiple discs in different stages of wear to be used for different lines, instead of different discs for those lines. My control/grip improved because I was using the same mold over and over.

Roc and buzzz is fine too. they overlap but you could throw
buzzz and ont roc basically a comet like roc...or more comet like
rancho roc champ and buzzz basically a wasp buzzz combo.

so throwing both is fine! just go with both if you like both.