• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thomahawk and Thumber

Different disc for Thumbers and Tomahawks?

• I dont Overhand

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Thumber only

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Tomahawk only

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Same disc for both

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • Different disc for both

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OJnBasquits

Par Member
I find cleaner shots with a certain disc for each shot.
Thomhawk/2 finger- i prefer a more domey/less stable disc
Thumber- i prefer a much more stable flatter disc.

Yall use the same disc for thumbers and tommys?

Champ Firebird for thumbers, valk for the occasional tommy

I voted for same for both. It really depends on the situation, and as mentioned before, any situation could call for any different disc. I just used my Star Aviar for a big-time, double-bogey saving, tomahawk shot out of the trees this past weekend. :p:doh:

I'm not very good at overhand shots, so I try to forearm it or RHBH it whenever possible. If I have to though, I will normally only tommie with my xcaliber. I don't thumb yet, only cause I'm still working with my tom.

Tomahawk a 180g roc, of all things, to get outta trouble. Works great, rolls more or less straight after a nice up-and-over. My go-to "get outta trouble disc."

Champion firebird for thumbers, star sidewinder for tomahawks.

champion firebird for both shots. In an open field throwing the same disc. Thumber will go more to the right, same disc thrown same way only tomahawk, it goes same distance, acts the same in the air only goes to the left. So whether you need a left or right OH shot, the firebird is a great choice.

I throw all different discs for Thumbers and Tommies.
Just depends on the situation.
Drivers and putters mostly, though.

Really depends on the shot I'm looking for, but the firebird is a great thumber disc. I throw a lot of thumbers/tomahawks to get out of the woods, lots of times it's the z buzzz if it's an approach or pancake shot that has to go over some trees. I also like my champ beast for a nice slow turnover tommy/thumber.

Still working out some kinks on my long distance 2-finger tomahawk, so I don't really have a go-to disc there.

If there's a nice tailwind I like to whip my 150g champ banshee for thumbers, gets pretty decent carry and a predictable line.

I average about 1 overhand drive per round, depending on the course. After seeing Ville Piippo in the Tali Open (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDzloMGRm8o) I realized the potential of overhands -- he mostly throws tomahawks I believe, so I'd like to work on his style of overhands.

Have been working on adding more types of shots into my discgolf toolbelt lately. I've found that the Tomahawk seems so much easier to pull off because the grip doesn't change from my get out of trouble sidearm flick. The thumber is much tougher to pull off for me, and I think it has everything to do with the pinch grip. Doesn't feel natural at all, and it slipped outta my hand once as I was throwing Monday in the yard. I have found that a new Star Roadrunner gives me the most carry on my thumber(240' or so compared to 220' with the other discs I've tried) and it also gives me a predictable 30' to 40' to the right finish. The thing about the overhand shot that i had never considered is that once they hit the ground and do their initial bounce they don't really move much. This may be helpful for certian upshots in the future.

Same for both.

For distance, it has been a Z Flick but now going to start just using my Pred. If I am stuck somewhere and just want out, it will likely be whatever disc got in the trouble to begin with, unless its my putter or mid, then I will take the Pred in with me just in case.

I've yet to be able to figure out how to throw a thumber for anything other than an escape-the-shule shot, so I don't generally drive with a thumber. However, I am willing to tomahawk just about any disc in my bag. Once you learn how multiple discs behave when thrown overhand, you have more lines, or arcs, rather, available to you.

Lewis,

Without any pictures (so I really don't know) I'll guess that you're using what's called a "hook thumber" grip (where it's kind of like holding a beer bottle neck with your 4 fingers and your thumb is on the cap's top). The disc (therefore) is held tightly only with your thumb and the pointer finger.

Try a 1) relaxed, 2) 3-finger / 1-thumb grip. The thumb goes "inside" (of course); kind of 1/2 angled on the rim / 1/2 angled on the inside flight plate (whatever seems to be 'natural'). Your pointer and middle fingers are on the top splayed slightly (again - naturally). Holding the disc in front of you - pointing at your target, it'll look like you're finger pointing at your target with 2 fingers. Note that the 4th and pinkie fingers are just kind of 'underneath' the disc and not doing much (except maybe the side of the 4th finger nearest your middle sort of supports the disc's edge).

Throw with this grip. Remember, a loose grip = a loose arm = loose muscles = faster / more efficient.

Karl