• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thoughts on 150 class vs. Blizzard plastic?

DiffikultD

So in the group that I play with, I'm the only one who throws any 150 weight class discs. One is a Discraft Surge EliteX, the other is a Champion Valkyrie. They're twitchy, but if the wind is right, I can get great distance from my average arm.

But the weights that I see in the the Blizzard plastic are down into the 130s! And these are some of Innova's big distance drivers. Do these require even more finesse than the 150s I'm throwing now?

Just wanted to get some opinions since nobody I play with throws them. They're blessed with youth and bomber arms. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

I throw a 150g DX Destroyer that is stable for its weight. I was throwing it for measured distance today, furthest was 456', but I know I have more in me. I spent most of the time trying to figure out the line on a 130g Teedevil. It was real flippy, but hit a few nice lines, and one that hit 512 feet. It was way too difficult, I will get a few low weight Blizz Destroyers for sure now though. I will reload monday and get back to you.

My experience with blizzard disc is limited. However, I have thrown several, and own a blizzard Boss 150ish. My understanding of the blizzard "technology" is that innova managed to keep the flight characteristic of heavier disc, and put them in lighter disc. In real world, I find blizzard disc to be able to handle 100% power without flipping when thrown correctly. They are not magic, which means that a bad throw will still be a bad throw, but they certainly are easier to throw than their max weight counterpart and are probably more stable than regular plastic in 150g (that may not be true for all mold, but in general).
To me, there is no reason not to try one. There is a reason why some people say that throwing Blizzard disc seems like cheating... I guess it's a PGDA approved type of cheating!

Yesterday while shopping Ebay I found that Quest has a driver they offer in 130 grams and it's not blizzard. I think it was called the Inferno.

Lighter discs can fly farther than heavier discs. They always have. Doesn't matter if it's "Blizzard" plastic or some other brand. The difference boils down to technique as many lighter discs require less arm speed (power) to generate the flight characteristics of a heavier weight. A couple of weeks ago I threw a 138 gram Blizzard Destroyer and I was amazed to see how stable that disc flew in relation to my 168 gram Destroyers. I was expecting to flip it like a Stingray, but it flew like a brand new Destroyer! I immediately went to the local shop to purchase one (or two....or three), but they had none in stock. I chose a 150 gram Ape and that disc goes FAR! And it is super stable to boot!

I discovered the advantages of lighter weight discs back in the early 90's. Circular Productions (aka John Houck) would host a couple of 150-class tournaments each year in good ol' Austin, TX. After purchasing some 150-class discs (i.e. Viper, Whippet, Roc, Cobra, Aviar) and learning how to throw them them correctly, I quickly realized a light weight disc can be thrown further with less effort. I soon stepped down from max weight drivers and started stocking my bag with mid-160 gram discs. Being that wind is a factor in Texas, I didn't feel comfortable playing with 150-class discs all the time, but the mid-160 gram discs were no issue in the Tx and Ok windage! I took it a step further and in the late 90's I eventually lowered the weight of my putters to around 166-167. Like drivers, lighter putters will float further than heavier putters. And that's a good thing... :thmbup:

I have a Boss, Katana, and Wraith... without looking, they are all in between 130-140.

Boss is very stable/overstable, I have to throw flex lines or big hyzers.
Wraith is nice and stable, will go exactly where I throw it.
Katana is FLIPPY!!!! Only good for monster tailwinds or super high lines.

I don't have a big arm at all; I only carry the Wraith as it's the only one that I can control. The Boss is consistent, but I'll just throw a teebird or firebird and get similar results.

blizzard teedevil is my new max distance driver. much flatter then the other blizzards, i love it. 130 ish

I recently bought a 134 Katana and a 131 Destroyer. The destroyer is great. It flies just like a max weight destroyer except 50' further at about 75% power. The katana on the other hand is super flippy. I can't do anything with it except throw really high and then start praying that it doesn't turn too much.

Im newer to frisbee golf but I definitely love the champion blizzard plastic. I have a 155g boss, a 157g katana, and a 129g teedevil. The boss and katana fly really well! The teedevil however is so hit or miss for me & my throws. I agree with saying you can definitely get max distance out of crazy light discs with the right finesse tho!

I recently bought a 134 Katana and a 131 Destroyer. The destroyer is great. It flies just like a max weight destroyer except 50' further at about 75% power. The katana on the other hand is super flippy. I can't do anything with it except throw really high and then start praying that it doesn't turn too much.

Is this to mean that the Destroyer would be too stable for lower power players? I don't have a Blizz myself, and it seems that the phrase "just as stable as its max weight counterparts" would be counterproductive for lower power throwers.

I prefer my 150 class z flick and my Japan Open 150's plastic over Blizzard plastic. The reason is that I got a 150 blizzard destroyer that I destroyed in less than 2 weeks of use! Its a good idea, they fly just like their heavier counterparts, but the life span is no good. In the 2 weeks that I threw the Blizzard Destroyer, it was my primary driver, so 400 holes in heavy wooded courses = broken disc!!!!

Lighter discs can fly farther than heavier discs. They always have. Doesn't matter if it's "Blizzard" plastic or some other brand. The difference boils down to technique as many lighter discs require less arm speed (power) to generate the flight characteristics of a heavier weight. A couple of weeks ago I threw a 138 gram Blizzard Destroyer and I was amazed to see how stable that disc flew in relation to my 168 gram Destroyers. I was expecting to flip it like a Stingray, but it flew like a brand new Destroyer! I immediately went to the local shop to purchase one (or two....or three), but they had none in stock. I chose a 150 gram Ape and that disc goes FAR! And it is super stable to boot!

I discovered the advantages of lighter weight discs back in the early 90's. Circular Productions (aka John Houck) would host a couple of 150-class tournaments each year in good ol' Austin, TX. After purchasing some 150-class discs (i.e. Viper, Whippet, Roc, Cobra, Aviar) and learning how to throw them them correctly, I quickly realized a light weight disc can be thrown further with less effort. I soon stepped down from max weight drivers and started stocking my bag with mid-160 gram discs. Being that wind is a factor in Texas, I didn't feel comfortable playing with 150-class discs all the time, but the mid-160 gram discs were no issue in the Tx and Ok windage! I took it a step further and in the late 90's I eventually lowered the weight of my putters to around 166-167. Like drivers, lighter putters will float further than heavier putters. And that's a good thing... :thmbup:

Not exactly true, if this were true everyone would want 120's not 175's. Noodle arms can throw lighter discs easier which gives them more distance. Heavier weight discs are more object like that is why there is a max weight.

Last edited: