• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on my disc'd down bag

ORGrown

Bogey Member
Now that I have a good while to work on my game, I decided to disc down a bit. I know it's something that I've needed to do. For reference, I took out my PD's and Swords for the time being, as well as re-arranged a little in my mids and drivers. Also, I had a FR Vector in my overstable mid slot, however I was seeing too much overlap between it and my VIP warship (I can hit almost identical lines with them, just a little more fade on the vector) so I put the pain back in for something a little beefier.

Years playing/experience: DG 9 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH Drives; BH, OH, FH approaches
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard 220/240 Warship 250/280 PD 280/310

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
168 Z Predator, (used) - Beefy for a pred, HARD left breaking shots, utility
172 Z Predator, (seasoned) - Most overstable shots, Headwind duty
175 Sparkle Opto River, (new) - Stable driver
170 Gold Line River, (used, working it to seasoned) - Hyzerflips, turnovers, narrow fairways
168 Opto River (flat), (used) - Tailwinds, hyzerflips, turnovers, narrow fairways

Mids:
178 Opto Pain, (used) - overstable mid duties, windy mid
176 VIP Plastic Warship, (used) - main mid
174 Tournament Plastic Warship, (used) - I'm working this one to fadeless
169 Tournament Plastic Warship, (used) - hyzerflips, turnovers, limited movement trouble shots
174 Elite X Comet, (seasoned) - Because nothing can hit the lines that a comet can ;)

Putters:
175 SS Magic, (new) - Driving putter
174 SS Magic, (beat) - longer putts, finesse shots
172 SS Chalky Wizard, (used) - Putter
175 S Wizard, (used, still plenty stable) - Driving putter

For me, this kind of defeats the purpose of discing down. When I did, I went with Rhyno, Anode, Roc, Teebird, Leopard (one of each). If you've got all this plastic still, even though you do have limited molds, it kind of takes away what discing down is about.

Try 2 wizards, 1 mid, 1 river, and 1 predator.

maybe a goldline vision?

If you get a goldline vision it works pretty nicely as a turnover fairway and gets better with age.

For me, this kind of defeats the purpose of discing down. When I did, I went with Rhyno, Anode, Roc, Teebird, Leopard (one of each). If you've got all this plastic still, even though you do have limited molds, it kind of takes away what discing down is about.

Try 2 wizards, 1 mid, 1 river, and 1 predator.

Good advice here (regardless of the actual molds used).

maybe a goldline vision?

If you get a goldline vision it works pretty nicely as a turnover fairway and gets better with age.

A Vision would completely overlap with his River's...

Bag looks good, but I would actually disc down for a while. Everyone sees how Feldberg [or any other pro] likes to have 3(ish) of each mold in his bag, relative to stages of wear, and wants to do the same thing. A player of that skill level benefits farrrrrrrrrr greater from multiples of molds than even the best of the advanced am - it really doesn't help that much until you have a great relationship with each mold. Less is more:thmbup:

You have two Rivers that look identical, but if one is just a back up that's fine. I'd drop the Tournament Warships, I don't see them doing much that your VIP Warship and Comet can't cover. Also, I'm assuming you're trying to decide between Wizards and Magics. You also, probably only need 1 Predator in your bag, or at least only bring out the second if you lose the first.
That really cuts down your bag by 6 (even if you keep some for backups, they don't really count). I think it looks like a solid disc down'd bag.

Thanks MM, completely forgot to mention the Warships...I've never thrown/held/read about them, nor do I care to, so my suggestion there would be a premium plastic Comet. That said, if you like the Warship then you do you because that's the one disc I know nothing about.

Get rid of some of those putter you technically maybe only need 2, and not so many drivers possibly 3-4 and mid range 2-3

Bag looks good, but I would actually disc down for a while. Everyone sees how Feldberg [or any other pro] likes to have 3(ish) of each mold in his bag, relative to stages of wear, and wants to do the same thing. A player of that skill level benefits farrrrrrrrrr greater from multiples of molds than even the best of the advanced am - it really doesn't help that much until you have a great relationship with each mold. Less is more:thmbup:

It kind of reminds me how almost every ball golfer uses Titilist Pro V's or Pro V1's. The average ball golfer isn't even close to a level of skill that it requires to get the intended use out of the ball. They'd be much better off with a lower skilled hard ball that maximizes distance.

I would disagree, somewhat though, that only the most advanced ams or pro's can get benefits from having the same molds in different wears/conditions (or at least get farrrrrrrrr greater benefits). Personally, I'm a lower level intermediate player, but my game has hugely benefitted from doing this. For me, It's something that builds familiarity/relationships with a mold. Having the strong relationship with a mold then doing it seems a bit off to me. I don't think I could have made the jump from rec to intermediate as fast as I did without doing this.

I agree that high level players do get more out of doing this, but I feel like anyone who is serious with some skill can really benefit from doing it too.

Anyways, my advice still stands, If you want to disc down then disc down. No sense in doing it only half way.

I would disagree, somewhat though, that only the most advanced ams or pro's can get benefits from having the same molds in different wears/conditions (or at least get farrrrrrrrr greater benefits). Personally, I'm a lower level intermediate player, but my game has hugely benefitted from doing this. For me, It's something that builds familiarity/relationships with a mold. Having the strong relationship with a mold then doing it seems a bit off to me. I don't think I could have made the jump from rec to intermediate as fast as I did without doing this.

I agree that high level players do get more out of doing this, but I feel like anyone who is serious with some skill can really benefit from doing it too.

Anyways, my advice still stands, If you want to disc down then disc down. No sense in doing it only half way.

I guess I do agree with that, I just feel like way too many people have wayyy too many similar discs of the same molds - let me try to explain that better. Feldberg (or anyone else) carries a 4/10, a 6/10, and a 8ish/10 (random numbers for the example). People on DGCR carry 3 7/10 or newer - stupid **** IMO. SOOOOOOO, if properly done i.e. beat to **** baseline + premium, it's a great tool for any golfer. If you go on a spending spree because this website makes you want to, it doesn't mean you have to throw every disc you just got in the mail. (you as in everyone, not you JeCroisQue)

I guess I do agree with that, I just feel like way too many people have wayyy too many similar discs of the same molds - let me try to explain that better. Feldberg (or anyone else) carries a 4/10, a 6/10, and a 8ish/10 (random numbers for the example). People on DGCR carry 3 7/10 or newer - stupid **** IMO. SOOOOOOO, if properly done i.e. beat to **** baseline + premium, it's a great tool for any golfer. If you go on a spending spree because this website makes you want to, it doesn't mean you have to throw every disc you just got in the mail. (you as in everyone, not you JeCroisQue)

Agreed, for example, I carry:

4 rocs- 3 kc's 4.5/10, 7/10, 9/10, and a new champ.
2 champ teebirds- 6/10, 9/10.
3 leos- 6/10 DX, 7/10 pro, 9/10 pro.

So they're pretty much completely different discs (their flight patterns do not overlap) but the same molds.

Seems like everyone is talking a different strategy than the OP. :confused: OP, what do you want to achieve with your discing down? Less speed? Less discs?

Here's what I'd do:

I'd drop at least one River and keep similar weights in Opto and GL since they do fly slightly different. If it were me, I'd drop the heavy one and stay in the 169-172 range with them. I'd even be tempted to add a TR River in the same weight and drop one of the others. The TR will beat in much faster. Once its beaten in, then try it with the Opto or GL and see which one it pairs up with better to cover a wider variety of shots. Not knowing how your Rivers fly, I can't comment on which one would be better. All of mine have been overstable new with the TR being the most and the GL being the least OS to almost neutral. Now beaten in, the TR and GL are about equal. I have had 7 Rivers now and every one had a slightly different flight path. The GL took 6 months to beat in and the TR took only one good hit on a tree to do what the GL did in 6 months. My Opto may never beat in.

I'd also drop all but one of the Warships. With the Pain, Warship and Comet, you have pretty much covered the spectrum of mid shots. That is what I carry with the exception of a Fuse instead of a Comet. That handles every possible shot.

Same with the putters...stick with two of the same mold for consistency. Chose one and stick with it. That helped me a ton.

As to additions, if it were my bag, I'd like to see a mildly OS mold to compliment the Rivers. In my experience, Rivers are great until the wind picks up, then they get squirrelly and unreliable. That is when I pick up a Star Eagle-X or Star TL. I also drop my Rivers completely when its really windy and switch to a S-FD. It covers much the same shots, is less affected by the wind and nose angle and is easy to control. It may kick the River out of the bag completely one day. :\ A Vision or similar harder US driver might help balance out the mix, but if the River can handle it, then I wouldn't worry with it. My TR River will turn over better than my others, so it might be able to fill that US mark soon, but for now, the Vision and Diamond do it far easier.

My two centavos.

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for the advice and opinions. I guess when I started the idea of discing down, it was more so in the sense of the speed of my discs rather than actual amount of discs. However, after reading through everyone's comments, I've decided to work towards the latter as well. Here's what I ended up with after doing that:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
168 Z Predator, (used)
175 Sparkle Opto River, (new) - Stable to overstable driver, flies like a champ TB
170 Gold Line River, (used, working it to seasoned) - Hyzerflips, turnovers, narrow fairways

Mids:
178 Opto Pain, (used)
174 Tournament Plastic Warship, (used) - I went with this one over the opto for now just so I can beat it up
174 Elite X Comet, (seasoned)

Putters:
175 SS Magic, (new) - just there so I can season it
172 SS Chalky Wizard, (used)
175 S Wizard, (used, still plenty stable)

I've disced down twice now. The first time was just so I could get some semblance of good form. I threw only an Roc and used Rhyno as a putter. The second was to increase distance and gain familiarity with the dominant molds in my bag (I used a Rhyno, Anode, Roc, Teebird, Leopard). This seems like it might be more of what you're trying to do.

Discing down won't do anything for you unless you have an end goal. Just dropping high speed drivers won't really do anything unless you know what you want to get out of it. I disced down the second time to really focus on gaining max distance/control (focusing on cleaner form, a good pull through, snap, and a smooth and controlled release). Also, I wanted to get a real feel for what my main discs could do (I really found out how versatile my molds can be). So, When I added back the different wears, plastics and weights, It left me more equipped to make decisions on what to throw, when to throw it and how to throw it. Also, When I felt comfortable moving back up I didn't throw everything back in. First I added the rest of my rocs, later I added the rest of my teebirds and leopards, Then I added a Drone. Next I added firebirds. Finally, I added Swords for the increase in speed. Easing into a full bag really helped and didn't ruin the work I put into discing down.

What you have now looks a lot better. I would even drop the Warship (unless you love it). A Pain and Comet can cover almost anything you need. If you wanna keep the Warship maybe drop the Opto river. For me, the Warship was almost as long as the River. Also, drop the Magic, you can season it later.

I'd drop the comet and pain for the warship. I've only thrown 1, but it's nice and stable, like a pain (I think. Haven't thrown a pain.), but doesn't tail of much more than a comet.

Really, you should go out some time with 1 pred, 1 warship, and 1 wizard to see how that treats you. I had a lot of success with a similar bag.

Really, you should go out some time with 1 pred, 1 warship, and 1 wizard to see how that treats you. I had a lot of success with a similar bag. Not for a competitive round or anything. But when I did it, I saw that I threw my favorite discs so much better than the others that it didn't matter if it was the "right disc" for the shot or not. I had some longer putts than normal, but I also had far fewer wasted shots (shots between 2 discs where the one I chose I should have thrown like the one I didn't).
The difference it made in my game was simply confidence in disc choices. I always throw my main driver. If I'm not throwing my main driver, there's an absolute reason I'm not; there's no fear that I should be throwing my main driver. (I say driver specifically because I never put any other mids or putters back in my bag. ... Don't plan to.)

Latest posts