• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Thoughts on the Banger GT?

Mr. America

* Ace Member *
I almost bought one yesterday, but wanted to do some reading here first. Only trouble is, I looked back over a year in a search and didn't see a great deal of what I was looking for...

I currently use KC Pro Aviars, but I bought a Star Aviar Driver (same mold Star plastic) yesterday. I like them well enough for short drives and approaches. I really liked the feel of the Soft Banger GT though. I almost bought it to try if only for pure putting purposes.

What do the masses here think of the Banger's?

Feels like a million bucks, performs like the Milwaukee Bucks. ESP are OOP but purportedly make good driving putters.

When I first got a Soft Banger I was killing it inside the circle with it but for some reason it all went wrong and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I'd chalk it up to "new putter" phenomenon but it went downhill really bad. I won't even look at a Banger in fear of screwing up my putting game.

It's ok. How does the disc feel in your hand? It's an overstable putt and approach disc. If you like the gimmick, aka the shape of the disc, it works for what it's supposed to.

Always thought of the banger gt as a "noob" putter...but the feel and flight is amazing IMO. I throw d bangers for all upshots currently. I am also wanting to try out ions however.

I say boy, its better than gravy on potato. The GT fits my hand perfect, and get more thumb push/control. I've switched to the Focus, Wizard, BB Aviar a couple times, but always end up with the Banger GT. I get way less roll aways with the Banger than the others.

"noob" putter or not, they're good discs, I had a pro-D that I threw for quite a while. The profile is similar to a wizard (except for the GT of course) and so is the flight.

They are stable enough to make good driving putters too so its usefulness may extend beyond it being your "putting only" putter.

i have a brand new esp banger gt, threw it once and decided the esp was to slick for my liking. it is currently for sale

Feels like a million bucks, performs like the Milwaukee Bucks. ESP are OOP but purportedly make good driving putters.

When I first got a Soft Banger I was killing it inside the circle with it but for some reason it all went wrong and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I'd chalk it up to "new putter" phenomenon but it went downhill really bad. I won't even look at a Banger in fear of screwing up my putting game.

I had the same experience. Was downright lethal from 50' and in, then it just went away for some reason.

Michael Johansen uses bangers.. That should tell you something.

Is he a noob?
Kidding, i love the soft bangers for 30 ft. and in, midrange appoarch or short drives, but perfer the star dart for long putts.

E-mac uses the banger too.

I love the banger, its my main putter. I have tried every thing and always come back to the banger.

I love the D banger. It's my main putter and upshot putter. Putters are always a matter of preference and it fits my hand comfortably so i use it. They start out a little overstable for long putts, but mine have beaten in over time have become very straight with minimal fade/fall off. I don't putt with brand new ones. I wait until I've seasoned them on the course for upshots, then I shift them over to the putting category.

I personally used the D with more success than the soft-x but do use the soft from time to time on a hilly putt.

I putted with a Soft Banger for about six months and liked it for awhile. I swapped it for the Challenger I threw before it and then the Wizard. It has a little less glide for me than the Challenger (and a lot less than the Wizard) and led to a lot of short putts. It's plastic is still some of the best feeling plastic I've ever felt though.

It's all about the GT if you like it and it fits your hand then it's worth a shot. I love it, it's my go to putter.

Not a bad putter any way you want to look at it.

For putts in the circle (<10m) its the bomb. The Groove Top really does inspire confidence.

I've never tried one for my approach game, but a buddy of mine uses one with deadly accuracy, usually nailing anything inside 40'-45'