• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Thoughts on the Soft Focus

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have been looking at this putter , and it looks interesting. Just wondering about how it putts and glides. I would like to hear from those that throw , or have thrown one. Pros? Cons? What have ya.

I'm actually wondering the same. Focus vs. a Challenger or a Magnet not soft specifically, but mold specifically. I've been having success with my Chall, but not enough to not consider switching.

I love my Focus -- I used to throw only a P&A Aviar and switched to the Focus after the Aviar got too beat in. It is my favorite putter besides my Ion, which gets the most use on shorter putts. For longer putts, I use the Focus as it feels more controllable at greater distances. Brand new, it flies almost dead straight with a slight fade at the end. As it beats it, it gets slightly understable, but not as bad as the Aviar. The main reason I chose the Focus when deciding on a new putter was because of the feel -- in my hand, it simply felt better and released smoother than the Aviar. Almost all Aviars have a sharp edge at the bottom of the lip that always catches on my release -- the Focus is rounded and releases much smoother. I've nailed a lot of long putts with it (some approaching 100'). Overall, I love it -- it is a great putter.

Pros: great feel & grip, smooth release, good flight path, excellent glide.
Cons: Kinda floaty and hard to control in the wind, sometimes doesn't stay put after a missed putt.

Even though it is fairly soft, I've noticed it does have a tendency to not stay put on the ground....because it is very glidey, it often floats by the pin or skips away. But, that is a minor downside to an otherwise great disc. I think the Focus and Ion together make a great pair -- the Focus for longer shots where you need something with good glide. The Soft Ion for shorter putts or accuracy shots in the wind where you need something you can add some power to and still have it stay put under the basket.

Just my $.02.

Garret

They're popular round my area, seem similarish to a Wizard in profile but from what I've seen aren't nearly as beefy, would probably pair good with a Wiz, similar feel...

you should already know how i feel about it- it IS my driving putter/approach disc. ace on windwood #5!

Pretty big bump. Sorry. Does anyone still throw these? I just got one in a misprint pack and it's money! It has great grip and just the right amount of stability for my style of putting. Would love to hear others' thoughts on this disc.

Pretty big bump. Sorry. Does anyone still throw these? I just got one in a misprint pack and it's money! It has great grip and just the right amount of stability for my style of putting. Would love to hear others' thoughts on this disc.

I love the Focus and have been putting with them for nearly a year now. I switched from Wizards to Ions to the Focus. I am much more consistent now with the Focus. To me they are very straight with a bit of a fade, and not as "glidey" as a Wizard (I kept overshooting the basket). The Ion was way too inconsistent for me and I would get lots of chainouts due to the overmold. I feel the Focus and the Ion are very similar in flight but the soft plastic grips the chains better.

I love the Soft X plastic and it is great in the summer and winter cold. For a putting putter these are a great. Driving of the tee I have the ESP versions from the Ace Race which are more stable and I love them, but they are hard to find.

Overall, the Focus is a good beaded putter that isn't overstable like a Challenger, but provides enough stability for a intermediate to advanced player. They have a good sleek profile which is eerily similar to the Wizard but a bit slimmer. They are also similar in profile to the Judge, but I prefer Discraft's plastic over Dynamic.

It is sad they don't get more love here.

Got one of these in a Discraft valu-pack. Threw it the other day, and then again today.

Very nice putting putter. Inbounds led me to belive it was OS, but it is totally straight and neutral for me in a heavy weight.

every time i say i'm going to pull it from the bag to try something new i hit some ridiculous fairway shot, fh or bh. it's as if "it" knows lol.

I keep a fairly new one and a well-seasoned one in my bag. Love it for short drives and long upshots, but I also use the older one for putting along with a DX Aviar. I think it's a very underrated disc. Didn't care for it in Pro-D plastic though.

It's a -perfect- putter in D if you like a stiffer putter, not sure about the soft. -Just- the right amount of stability, perfect glide, great plastic, great feeling in hand...no downsides unless you really dislike beads. Perfect stability for upshots and straight drives.

Latest posts