• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Three putting... From 15 feet out...

The Happy Gilmore

Par Member
Hello to all my fellow disc golfers. I am not new to disc golf but new to the forums. I'd just like to start out by saying I am the most inconsistent putter EVER. I have been playing 2.5 years and have excelled exceptionally at disc golf. I can throw fh and bh well (425ish max bh 375-400 max fh), I can throw some sweet rollers, and have a pretty decent thumber. I'm a little over 940 rated but I really feel I can be 975 plus if I was just a consistent putter. I'm talking so bad that I 3 putt from within 15 every single round but I will nail 50 foot jump putts consistently. Id say on average I lost 4-8 strokes a round because of terrible putts within the circle. I use a mix of a push and spin putt but after it leaves my hand I have no clue if I'm even going to hit the basket. I've searched the forums and watched videos but nothing seems to help. Maybe if I tell you my setup someone on here can help me??
Basically I hate straddle putts usually so we can get to that later and I really don't like any form of keeping my hand straight up and down through the entire motion. I like a somewhat bent arm popping from the thigh and groin area. I also inline putt but with my feet at an angle from the basket and not hips forward. I usually don't pop my back leg up and my motion feels like a jerk and that I'm unsure of myself. I also LOVE hyzer putting with an understable putter. But I hyzer putt with the nose up. I have been unable to get the nose down on my putts since I started. I've looked at the pics but cannot figure it out.
HELP PLEASE!

practice, practice, practice...Then once you do that, practice some more

Its all about confidence and getting into a routine that works for you. My putting style is close to McBeth

Just get the release down and stand close to the basket, and slowly keep moving back

What about when the putt flutters? I don't have flutter anywhere else. I feel like I'm keeping the disc on the same line but maybe it's caught on my finger??

yep not a clean release. changing your grip could help with nose angle and release. try different grips and finger spacing. Some people have finger on rim while others under it and thumb closer to the edge of the disc or more in the center etc...

Get a beadless putter :|

And I had to go to a beaded putter for a clean release.

OP, something doesn't smell quite right, you can do all that you say you do yet you cant make a 15' putt? I just don't get how you can nail 50 footers and miss 15 footers.

Is it nerves, over thinking? What are you putting with?

Last edited:
Slowing your arm speed way down forces you to use the power of your finger spring which adds up to less body movement and increased accuracy. I use a loose fan grip, inline or straddle push. Practice that for 500 putts and report back.

When I said nail 50 footers, I meant more often than I hit 15 footers it seems like. Anytime I get inside the circle, it's like my mind blanks and I forget everything I know. I put the first crevice of my pointer finger under the rim and try to pop/spin the disc in. I use a classic aviar because I love them for hyzer putting.

I also do feel I overthink it and get scurrrrred. But it's because I KNOW I can be a top level player and idw to miss such easy putts

A little thing I do... Pick out a single link of chain and aim for that. Or, imagine the basket is a good friend, the chains are his chest. Just play a friendly game of catch. This honestly does work for me.

Are you missing left, right, or up and down? Or is it all of the above?

then my guess is you're not relaxing and stopping short. Even a putt has a follow through.

When you release the putter, do you feel tense like an abrupt stop, or does your arm/hand relax and keep moving forward a little?

Just a thought

I feel like there's not a lot of follow through. It feels like it's more of a jerking motion. But when I try to follow through it feels like I don't get enough umph on the disc

then my guess is you're not relaxing and stopping short. Even a putt has a follow through.

When you release the putter, do you feel tense like an abrupt stop, or does your arm/hand relax and keep moving forward a little?

Just a thought

This. Your hand should keep reaching past the release point on your putts. I'm betting that you're just flipping it up there, instead of using your legs to get a solid momentum-filled putting form.

1025 putting app. you gotta make all your putts out to 20 ft if you want to score anywhere around 700, and take what you can get after that. when i am struggling 20 ft and in i play it till my first miss , then start over. it gets old quick and stop thinking about it and just putt

Follow through for me is more important on a 10-15 footer than it is for a 30-40 footer. I expect to make 15 footers all day long, so it's crucial to have good form and hit the chains. Not saying form isn't important on a 40 footer, but for me if I'm at 40 foot, I'm semi expecting a miss and lay up, as to where at 15, should be golden.

Spend some time working on release. I did this a lot sitting right here, on my couch. Just toss the disc up at the ceiling, get a good solid, smooth, rotating release then mimic that while putting. When I line up, I usually aim center mass, near the top of the chains, and push putt. For the release, like mentioned above, reach past the release point in your putt. Another thing that really really helped my putt go smoother was turning my wrist more up upon release instead of to the side like shaking someones hand.

Man that used to be my worst fear in DG. Short putts where they should go right in and ..... oh my. The simple answer is like everyone has said. Practice a lot, a hundred or more a day 4-5 days a week for a few months and those putts will be going in like butter. Use the videos and such for advice but don't expect any single thing to fix it. We all have different styles just find your own. The one thing that always stays with me is "paint the pole" and don't be afraid.... finish that putt and see it going in.
OH... use the Papa drills https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scott+papa

Last edited:

Latest posts