• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw far or putt good

I would prefer the putt, but I would expect it to be 90% within 50', not just the circle.

I have high expectations for my putting, ask anyone that's played with me they will tell you it's my strength. That and my accuracy. Length is not a strong point. :wall:

Today I would rather be able to throw 500'. I was never able to throw far when I started so I worked on putting to keep up in score with everyone when I first started. I'm probably about 70% from the circle on a bad day. I still cannot throw far.

Realistically, at this point, a 500' is three throws (one drive or long approach ends up off target), and "gimme" for a 4. One 500' drive, a missed putt, and a tap in saves me a stroke today. Being able to throw 500 would be I would (in theory) be able to throw better shots overall. Thus leading to a lot more dueces over 250". Hell I'd pick being able to throw 300 constantly over putting at this point. OCD gets in the way of my focus on the tee. So do trees.

Putt. I gain a lot more points on missed putts than I do botched drives

Someone posted a while ago, I think on PDGA about how overrated throwing far was in this game and had stats to prove it.

He went through and and figured out if all you did was throw 250 feet, but you got up and down from 280 feet every single time (assuming a 250 foot throw and a 30 foot putt) how good would you be.

Well he through all the courses on the NT and majors and calculated a score based on this principle and then went through and compared the score to round ratings at those events.

The person would be rated like 1070.

then he was blown away. so he did the same thing for 200 feet. Up and from 230. The player would be like 1030.

Insane.
I wouldn't call those stats. I'd call those numbers. I'm not sure they're horribly useful numbers, either becasue no one throws like that. You could do the same thing with someone who throws a perfectly accurate 100' throw (as in they always make a 100' or less "putt", but can only throw 100') but that number wouldn't be very meaningful. All it shows is that being perfectly accurate is a big advantage, which is obvious. If it were based at all in truth there would certainly be players out there who easily break 1000 rating but can't break 300' driving.

Hearing some of the putting talents described in this thread makes me wonder if "internet putting" is just as much a disease as "internet distance".

MTL is quite right on throwing less distance but scoring well. I've seen people who aren't egotistical about their drives throw no further than 225' but consistently beat all the big guns who get excited for the one hole a round where they can let one rip.

But throwing far is fun. I fell in love with the game after seeing the beauty in the flight of discs, not after seing somone hit a 30' putt. Putting is great for my scores, but big drives are great for my discn' soul. I have big d drivers I rarely use in round, but go to a local football field just to chuck for fun.

My scores got even better when I stopped focusing on the score and started enjoying simply throwing. Might be because I stopped worrying about making putts. Now I step up to a 20' high pressure putt thinking "That was an awesome drive" instead of "That drive means nothing if I miss this putt".

Last edited:
My scores got even better when I stopped focusing on the score and started enjoying simply throwing. Might be because I stopped worrying about making putts. Now I step up to a 20' high pressure putt thinking "That was an awesome drive" instead of "That drive means nothing if I miss this putt".

I love this mentality. Putting for me generally is a mindf*ck and I find myself saying the above after a brilliant drive.

I have to say though that I get as much pleasure banging a 30 to 50 foot put as I do from ripping one 400+'. Both are equally rare and the thrill of each is why I love the game so much.

However I will say that throwing accurately, in my opinion, far outweights good putting.

Some of my best rounds I've ever had I didn't putt well. Hell, I set a course record once and missed 4 putts. I just didn't miss a drive the whole round.

But the stupid insanely good course record rounds I've had, I've thrown well and putted well. The guys in the 1040 range do that. Throw well and putt well.

But I can name countless players who got over the 1000 barrier and couldn't putt worth a lick.

Putting well is my preference. Barring an ace, you have to putt out on every single hole on every course you'll ever play. On many courses, throwing even 300+ is superfluous on 80% of the holes.

All I know is that in my experience, I threw a lot further when I was younger/newer to the game. My scores only started improving to the point where I could move up and compete in Open when my focus changed from trying to be able to drive 400-450-500+ to being as perfect as I could be putting from 15-20 feet.

Give me the distance. I will take 500' all day everyday simply because it will give me more shots at birdies. It makes it much easier when you're throwing a mid to a 350' hole as opposed to a driver. Even if you're an average putter, if you're putting for birdies instead of pars you should make enough to score well.

Putting practice has shaved more strokes off my game than trying to throw far has. I'd much rather have a deadly short-game. Chains sound better from further away.