• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw in vs long putt

jakebake91

* Ace Member *
Quick question:
At what point is a putt no longer a putt, but a throw in? Is a 100 foot putt really a putt? Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks!

I distinguish it based on the throwing style used. If you're throwing with a putting motion (jump and step putts included), it's a putt. If you're not, it's not. Distance is essentially irrelevant. I haven't encountered many players where there no discernible difference in their throwing motion no matter how far they're trying to throw it.

To me, a putt is a throw using a putting motion and/or stance, no matter the distance.

I used to do the weird (to me) jump putt/hyzer thing but it never worked. The last month of so I have been practicing fan grip throws from my sternum with just a slight turn instead of a reachback. Anything over 50 feet or so, I do this now. Put in one for 60-65 feet last night during a round and parked several others from 130 feet in. To me, the benefit is that I can be much more controlled and throw the disc softer and on a flat plane instead of on a hyzer. If I miss the putt, it lands flat and sits within 10 feet. I've put a ton of practice into this though, so YMMV.

To an extent I agree with the "putting motion is a putt" sentiment. That extent (for me) ends when you do a jump putt off the tee, like Ricky Wysocki did at BRP during the Majestic last year. I don't consider any teeshot a putt; if the tee is less than 100' away then the hole just sucks anyways.

For me, a putt is one made from inside the circle. It's not a big deal, it's just that I'm not sure I have much use for a distinction between a "putt" and a "throw in" otherwise. To me, they're all throws. One just has special rules based on its proximity to the target.

Spin putters make any kind of distinguishing based on throwing style unfeasible. For many (like Lizotte), the only difference between 25ft and 100ft is the speed at which they complete the same motion.

So context becomes important; why are you asking the question? If it's to establish what qualifies as a "longest putt" during a tournament, I would say anything that goes in that isn't off the tee would qualify. People will complain but it's unfair to the guy who tosses in a 100 footer to start nitpicking at the form he used.

In golf, a player can use a putter off the green or a non-putter on the green.

Despite the club or method used to complete the hole, the shot is recorded based on the lie - a player who putts it in from the fringe is officially recorded as 0 putts and a player chipping it from the green is officially recorded as 1.

So if we are saying it's based on putting motion or disc choice, would you say that a full throwing motion with a driver from 8 feet that goes in shouldn't be a putt?

I think that's what I like most about the DGPT putting stats. They are distance based and from multiple spots. It makes the most overall sense.

For me, a putt is one made from inside the circle. It's not a big deal, it's just that I'm not sure I have much use for a distinction between a "putt" and a "throw in" otherwise. To me, they're all throws. One just has special rules based on its proximity to the target.

Out of curiosity, do you measure each "putt" that is close to the edge of the circle, just in case it's a throw instead of a putt?

If you can see the basket, it's a putt

I like this definition the best. :)

For me its less about the throwing motion or the specific distance, it's whether I am legitimately trying to make it.

I don't consider a lay up to be a putt, no matter how close. It's not a putt if I am aiming at the bottom of the pole. This definition means the same shot is a putt one day an approach/layup the next, depending on the weather.

If I can see it, I'm trying to run it, and believe I have a decent shot at making it, then it's a putt.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, do you measure each "putt" that is close to the edge of the circle, just in case it's a throw instead of a putt?

Nope. I just eyeball it. I play almost exclusively casual rounds, so for me counting putts is just a way to look at how many shots from inside the circle I average over time. I might misread one here or there, but it's close enough for my purpose.

330' hole. I'm aiming at chains with a Gazelle hyzerflip (example from yesterday at Horning's) because I can see the basket, I have a clean line, and there is a hill backstopping it.

It's a putt?

Disc+Golf+001.jpg

Putting from the tee box. :cool:

330' hole. I'm aiming at chains with a Gazelle hyzerflip (example from yesterday at Horning's) because I can see the basket, I have a clean line, and there is a hill backstopping it.

It's a putt?

Lol, not for me because I wouldn't feel like I have a real chance of making it, and you are on the tee. Like Jeremy, I can't consider anything off the tee a putt. Same situation but 230' and your second shot, then yeah, that's a really, really, long putt.

Lol, not for me because I wouldn't feel like I have a real chance of making it, and you are on the tee. Like Jeremy, I can't consider anything off the tee a putt. Same situation but 230' and your second shot, then yeah, that's a really, really, long putt.

My buddy and I were both within two feet of smashing it -- his Leopard and my Gazelle.

I distinguish it based on the throwing style used. If you're throwing with a putting motion (jump and step putts included), it's a putt. If you're not, it's not. Distance is essentially irrelevant. I haven't encountered many players where there no discernible difference in their throwing motion no matter how far they're trying to throw it.

10' away, trees blocking any backhand motion so you stretch out as far as you can to the right to flick a putter in the basket. That's a putt all day to me. But generally I agree with what you're saying, except anything inside the circle is a putt no matter how it's thrown (to me anyway).

I'm with you. It's about intent. If I'm trying to make it in it's a putt unless it's off of the tee in which case it's by definition a drive.