• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw less not more

HCD Studios

Par Member
Is anyone else a fan of less molds in the bag? I read some of the readers bags and it seems like there are lots of noobs with 10-15 molds in the bag.

Now I TOTALLY get being into discs. I have a nice collection and even some wall hangers. However when it comes to my bag I carry less than 10 molds and use different plastics and beatness to add the variation that many people have different molds for. And I carry 2 putters one for putting and one for driving and ups. I can make them fly however I want and I have no need for 3 or 4 different molds of putter. It seems like some people are more into what disc they have then how to execute a line.

There is something simple and comfortable about having a few of the same mold. After all its the archer not the arrow right? I mean what happens if you loose your disc that turns right?

you mean discing down? no, i've never read any other threads/posts about that before. you're the first, actually

No, not entirely discing down. I think he is more specifically talking about the mold minimalism aspect of that..

I'm also a fan of carrying less discs. I've played rounds with people who have large bags crammed full of discs, but only throw 3 or 4 in a whole round! Sure its fine for practicing, but why lug 50 discs around the course with you? Noobs should just have 1, and expand to mabye 3 at first.

Yeah, right now I will be carrying a couple more molds than normal as I try to narrow down my mid range game. I dont know, I might carry all 3 listed but I would like to just carry 1 or 2. The trick is with me to not overly minimize it.

mold limitation is a funny thing. I would say as most people mature as players they begin to reduce their molds. The reason being that they come to understand and have a relationship with a mold that they understand and their bodies/motions can communicate with the disc. Like myself and the discs in my sig.

I think having a bunch of molds is hurtful to ones game and a lot of people go through that stage. Even feldberg use to carry around a crap ton of discs and has reduced his choices a lot. Blake on DGR has a nice article about the difference between molds and unique discs. It mostly separates having a lot of molds from having a lot of discs. Nice little read.

I personally am sticking to 3 molds at the moment and auditioning 2 new ones (fairway and wind fairway). Of those 3 I carry I have 8 discs in my bag (putting firm ridge, 1 heavy driving x ridge, 1 light driving x ridge, x comet, heavy z comet, light z comet, beat to crap KC Roc, new KC Roc).

It took me 3 years and I am still working on it, but I am beggining to settle in on 5-6 specific molds.
it really helps the budget too, before I would go into a storeand want EVERYTHING, a few weeks ago I was on the phone with a salesman from a discgolf store in KY and he could not find a single disc for me.

Agreed. It took me almost 2 years, but I am settling on less molds. My putt, approach and mids are all set, as well as my thumber disc. I just need to tinker with my drivers as my form and distance changes. But at least now I know what I can handle, and what I can't. As Clint said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

since i've done this i have shaved quite a few strokes off my score. i used to throw 10-12 different molds and after reading the info on here now i am down to:
1 firebird
3 teebirds
3 rocs
3 wizards
this is all i could ever need at least right now. thanks DGCR

the battle between frank delicious and medicinalfunk is a bitter rivalry with much bloodshed. The likelihood of their reconciliation is thin and if they are unable to find peace both tribes will certainly perish. One can hardly claim a victor in this lose lose scenario.

If you read some threads, you will see that not everyone has got the minimalism concept or may not have heard of it. I myself would say they've heard of it but choose to ignore it, but I think thats why the OP made the post. Not to introduce a "new concept"

No, seriously, dude is a genius. I have already adopted my bag to this new way of thinking. I think I'm gonna have the same disc in multiple stages of wear. Seems like a pretty good idea.

fokin page sniping Cont

oops, I thought I quoted Frank....anyways, the OP made this post because he has been giving a lot of good advice in "rate my bag threads" and he has had to repeat himself alot.
Some people like lots of discs for confidence with individual shots, others do a lot with a few discs.

I've got your minimalism right here. Try carrying only two discs. I sometimes like to carry just a Cyclone and a Challenger. Those two discs can do anything an entire bag of discs can do.