• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a disc on the moon

I have to disagree with you. A bicycle and a motorcycle stay upright because of the spinning (gyroscopic spin) of the rotating motion of the wheels, has nothing to do with the air. That is why I saw the gyroscopic action is important and the spin of the disc would make the disc go dead straight.

Gyroscopic action does nothing to affect the direction of travel, only its attitude while in motion.

It keeping bicycles/motorcycles upright is a fallacy as well.

The spin on the disc would only help resist any OAT imparted on the disc. So more spin will cause the disc to barrel roll less than less spin on a throw with OAT. It would have no effect on a perfectly clean throw.

A non perfectly clean throw would be funny to watch because it will tumble around but fly like a projectile.

Ligher discs will probably go farther because you'll be able to throw them faster.

Galeleo only showed that the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects. He didn't show that it's just as easy to throw heavy objects as far as light objects.

Good point. While they will land at the same time, the faster disc will have traveled farther.

Last edited:
Good point. While they will land at the same time, the faster disc will have traveled farther.
I suppose it should be stated that I'm assuming that we're throwing it at a 45 degree angle upwards to get maximum distance. If we're throwing straight forward then you're right, they would hit the ground at the same time, but the lighter one would go farther. If you throw them upwards to get maximum distance, the ligher one will spend more time in flight, too.

I have to disagree with you. A bicycle and a motorcycle stay upright because of the spinning (gyroscopic spin) of the rotating motion of the wheels, has nothing to do with the air. That is why I saw the gyroscopic action is important and the spin of the disc would make the disc go dead straight.

I understand what you are talking about. This is what I meant kinda. vv

Gyroscopic action does nothing to affect the direction of travel, only its attitude while in motion.

The spin on the disc would only help resist any OAT imparted on the disc. So more spin will cause the disc to barrel roll less than less spin on a throw with OAT. It would have no effect on a perfectly clean throw.

A non perfectly clean throw would be funny to watch because it will tumble around but fly like a projectile.

I wouldn't be able to throw jack with one of those space suits covering my junk; let alone the terrible grip with the immense gloves.

This video should help:

The reason the gyroscopic affect matters is because of the atmosphere and wind resistance. It keeps the entire disc on a single plane (minimizing wind resistance) instead of having it wobble which would slow it down due to increased wind resistance. It wouldn't matter how much wobble the disc has on the moon-- it could even flip end over end and get the same distance if thrown with the same force.

That is why I saw the gyroscopic action is important and the spin of the disc would make the disc go dead straight.
The disc will go straight no matter what sort of spin or lack of spin is put on the disc when there's no air. The only force on the disc once it leaves your hand will be gravity pulling it downward. There will be no aerodynamic forces to make it curve no matter what the spin or shape of the object.

Your Polecat will travel just as far as your Wraith.

Next discussion: Throwing rollers on the moon...

I think I'd have to go with the overhand roller and throw it like I was throwing a thumber as far as possible with a ton of wrist snap. I'd have to bust out the binoculars while it was still in flight to see where it landed and watch it roll across the pot marked surface of the moon watching it take 50' hops as it rolled over boulder and ramped out of craters. Now we're talking some serious distance.

I just imagined throwing a disc so hard on the moon that it re-entered the Earth's orbit, sustained re-entry, and aced.

I even imagined throwing the disc so hard that it traveled to another solar system with life like us. The first message from Earth was a disc to the face, and it had my name and number on the back of it.

Last night I had a dream where I attended my first Nascar event.

The mind is a wonderful thing! lol (Good post!)

Latest posts