• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing anhyzers

ReinZ_96

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have struggles getting anhyzer angles on my backhand throws. Could someone give me some tips please? And don't just say "throw it forehand" :p

What kind of grip are you using? What kind of discs are you trying to annie? What lines are you trying to hit with the annie? What kind of distance are you getting with "x" disc and on what line?

With answers to these questions we should be able to help out.

Although learning forehand is really useful! lol. However they create totally different lines.

This is a pretty complex question but the three short answers are:

Use your hips and shoulders to adjust the angle of your shot instead of your forearm and wrist.

Throw understable discs that you can turnover.

Torque that **** over!

This is a pretty complex question but the three short answers are:

Use your hips and shoulders to adjust the angle of your shot instead of your forearm and wrist.

Throw understable discs that you can turnover.

Torque that **** over!

Josh nailed it. Keep your pull the same, but change the angle of your body. It helps to pay close attention to your follow-through. It should be coming through low.

What kind of grip are you using? What kind of discs are you trying to annie? What lines are you trying to hit with the annie? What kind of distance are you getting with "x" disc and on what line?

With answers to these questions we should be able to help out.

Although learning forehand is really useful! lol. However they create totally different lines.

I use a stacked grip with my ring over my pinky ad the rest of my fingers on the rim or just a power grip with all four of my fingers on the rim. Really I'm not trying to throw them with any specific disc, Im just trying to learn how to do it. And I don't understand what u mean by "x" :p haha

Also I do throw forehand, and throw it fairly well, I'm just trying to learn this to get a left curving line (I'm left handed) with a backhand throw.

First question is are you asking about distance anhyzers or less than full distance to clear an obstacle? Most of the advice on this thread so far is more geared for a distance annie (and is good advice). A simple solution can be to use your normal shot using something extra flippy (ala Stingray) and just give it a little more air.

Less than full distance (for me) is more of a stall shot. I look for a spot just past the obstacle and high enough in the air so that if it were to start falling toward the annie direction it will have enough room to get to the pin (or desired fairway location). Then just try to hit that spot with a little anyzer angle and just stall it there.

Stand up a little straighter, start your pull a little lower, and make sure you commit to the anhyzer angle with your shoulders all the way through your follow through.

There's a thread around here that has helped me tremendously with this issue. Josh is correct by pointing out the importance of the hips and shoulders for determining the shot lines.

hyzers-bend forward at the waist /

straight-keep your back perpendicular to the ground I

anhyzers- lean back at the waist \

Use an angled run up. If on the tee, going from rear right to front left of the pad in your run up, will greatly assist in generating an anhyzer release. For gentle to moderate turn, that is pretty much the only thing I consciously do. Of course, rear middle to front middle is flat release, and rear left to front right will produce hyzer.

This all presumes RHBH.

Stand up a little straighter, start your pull a little lower, and make sure you commit to the anhyzer angle with your shoulders all the way through your follow through.

Starting to do this helped me a lot. I was having a lot of issues with shots that should have been holding an anny all the way to the ground flexing back on me until I realized that my followthrough was completely screwed up. Once I fixed the followthrough so it was holding the same line, it improved greatly.

I have struggles getting anhyzer angles on my backhand throws. Could someone give me some tips please? And don't just say "throw it forehand" :p

What happens when you throw anny...do they crash and burn, or do they hyzer out? The problem is probably related to lack of snap and/or telegraphing the shot. Maybe disc selection.

Anhyzer problems:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/technique/bhproblemsline.shtml#noanhyzer

Telegraphing:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

Hold the disc around the top of your chest, stand up straight, then lean back a little when you throw.

Hmmm. I've never head anything about that telegraphing thing before, I'll have to work on that because I've noticed when I want to throw an anhyzer I start like my normal slightly hyzer throw then the disc is anhyzer at the release point.

That means you're rolling your wrist to get that anhyzer angle, that's really difficult to be consistent with and could result in OAT which would rob you of distance and accuracy.

what discs are you using? i have discs in the bag that can't perform any kind of turnover shot, and other discs that can only perform straight drives/slow banking turnovers. disc selection is important. a beat up pro leopard can be thrown a long way and a short way on turnovers

yeah I definatley do use OAT to shape my anhyzers, I should stop doing that. For me OAT seems to be a thing that comes and goes, but always seems to leave a residue so its never completley gone.

What disc?

Midrange- beat up roc or a putter
Driver- seasoned leopard

I throw flat and it takes the turn and stays on the anny.

If the disc is more stable I just hold it on a slight angle on the reach back and release.