• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from a standstill/seated position

JBCHyzer

Bogey Member
Hi. I've just started playing disc golf (introduced to me by a family member), and have been working on my RHBH throwing from a wheelchair. What this means is, sadly, my hips and legs are almost immobilized and I cannot get enough weight transfer to throw, say, an Innova P&A (Avair) out past 100'.:mad:

Any suggestions? IMy first thought would be to work on my grip, or even my release/hit.

I am not a knesiologist by any means, so I can't say what your ultimate ceiling would be. A lot of the power comes from rotational transfer. Is there a way you could throw and rotate your chair around your center of gravity? Right hand holding disc, left hand manipulating the wheel maybe?

Loose grip until the hit, and making sure your reach back isn't too close to your body would be the best two things I can think of.

I recall seeing a YouTube video of a player throwing backhand in a wheelchair and throwing probably 250-300'. He was setting up the chair completely backwards to the target and able to get good range of motion of the arm.

I recall seeing a YouTube video of a player throwing backhand in a wheelchair and throwing probably 250-300'. He was setting up the chair completely backwards to the target and able to get good range of motion of the arm.

Any chance you could shoot me a link to that video, sidewinder22?

Thanks, pillbug.

Another variable that could be hindering me, distance-wise, is my choice of wheelchair to throw from. I use a powered Invacare Ranger X, which for me, means the side and back supports are taller (as they are on most power wheelchairs) and therefore in the way, inhibiting any kind of complete follow through. Perhaps throwing from a push chair would be easier?

I guess what I'm asking is: is it a matter of me working on the sidearm, adjusting my release position or angle, or even completely switching from a power chair to a manual one?

I'm thinking if you use a push chair and don't lock the wheels (or just lock one wheel) you may be able to incorporate some forward momentum (centrifugal force?) into your throw. You might get dizzy though.

^^^ That was the guy. That is probably going to be the ideal way to throw in a wheelchair, and wheels locked, and shorter side/back to allow your arm the greatest amount of motion possible. FH won't come close the BH distance potential.

Thanks, pillbug.

Another variable that could be hindering me, distance-wise, is my choice of wheelchair to throw from. I use a powered Invacare Ranger X, which for me, means the side and back supports are taller (as they are on most power wheelchairs) and therefore in the way, inhibiting any kind of complete follow through. Perhaps throwing from a push chair would be easier?

I guess what I'm asking is: is it a matter of me working on the sidearm, adjusting my release position or angle, or even completely switching from a power chair to a manual one?

I would think that a manual chair would get pretty tiring pushing through an entire course though wouldnt it? (I really have no idea). I feel like if you could find a way to use the chair to add some momentum you wouldnt have an issue throwing every bit as far as a standing throw.

In my mind I'm imagining you rolling up to the tee in reverse, ripping a sweet j-turn, and throwing 400' like butter.

That wheelchair would have to be ridiculously nimble and better have a seatbelt.

golf.jpg

I'm not sure what kinda of disposable income you have or any idea how much these cost but this would be an ideal chair for disc golf as well. Awesome to hear that our are enjoying this sport.

I've just started talks with a local coach that wants to put on an event to showcase disc golf as a handicapped athlete friendly sport. We have a local city park course where the front half is pretty flat and for the most part is handicapped accessible. We have one hole that has a bridge that wheel chairs can't cross. They would have to tee off and take a walking path out to the street with a culvert under it allowing them to cross the water and then come back to the fairway. Not ideal but doable.

I throw from a stand still. My knees basically lock and it's a bit of core rotation and strong arming. I get 275' consistent on good days. On bad days I have put my cart on the tee pad and throw seated, similar form, but the back of the chair stops any follow through, so I don't get near the distance. Some sort of stool, or the device kenjiac would work much better.

Here's a pic of my "cart" it's actually a recumbent trike, due to hip problems I can't ride a regular bike. This is not the solution for hilly courses, but where I'm from it works on almost all of them. Don't mind the plastic bag, it was to keep my 4 year old from playing with the chain.

Attachments

• 21298829_10207846402836934_1563949407_o.jpg
    21298829_10207846402836934_1563949407_o.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 13