• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing off ice/snow

seedlings

* Ace Member *
TLDR: do you wear cleats or some kind of secure shoes for throwing g off sloppy slick snow?

So finally made it outside to throw in the field after 1/4" of ice, then 5" snow on top. I can't get any footing to throw past 150 feet. Planting to throw means slipping (once near painful), so I'm throwing 'careful' which means hardly shifting weight. I only took putters out, but with slick footing it wouldn't matter much if I threw a fairway or driver. I had boots on, but that wasn't good enough. Cleats would get my feet soaked quick-like.
:wall:

L3MGEd.gif

There is a niche for everything.

Disc Golf Crampons

"Crampons" is a new term to me. Thank you.
I wouldn't recommend a cheap pair. I haven't tried anything too expensive - but it really only takes a few rounds to destroy the generic rubber-and-coiled-metal crampons you can buy inexpensively.
These look really nice! I may have to try them. In the past I've taken screws similar to whats in those and just drilled them straight into an old pair of boots. That worked reasonably well for me.

Got a pair of these...

These cleats are great BUT very aggressive. I don't recommend using these off of tees even if they're concrete. We have turf tees locally and I DEFINITELY do not use them on those. I would only play on ice with these after doing some test shots without putting a lot of power in the throw. Where I really like cleats is walking up and down hills. I think it's entirely possible to play a round without injuring yourself with careful run ups or standstill throws. Where I feel like the most likely injury is just from walking around and slipping on some ice. I had a broken and dislocated ankle 4 years ago from doing just that...walking around on snow covered ice.

TLDR: do you wear cleats or some kind of secure shoes for throwing g off sloppy slick snow?

So finally made it outside to throw in the field after 1/4" of ice, then 5" snow on top. I can't get any footing to throw past 150 feet. Planting to throw means slipping (once near painful), so I'm throwing 'careful' which means hardly shifting weight. I only took putters out, but with slick footing it wouldn't matter much if I threw a fairway or driver. I had boots on, but that wasn't good enough. Cleats would get my feet soaked quick-like.

Nope.

When looking for a footing, check out FH and OH as options.
Throwing from from your knee(s) about always possible and stable.
You could bring your own mat. Heck, bring a small pallet and pull it around with a sled. Throw from a chair. (There is a distance record for that). It is all legit for snow rounds.

A waterproof shoe like some Merrell models are really good for not getting feet wet. Use them sparingly (not as general daily sneaker wear) and they'll be worth the expense and last a long time.

I think cleats would be more dangerous than any benefit they can bring, especially as DG relies on twisting around. Sounds like a broken ankle waiting to happen.

Having played a lot in winter, the only recommendations I can make is to stand-still shot when the conditions call for it rather than the run up and allow yourself the safest tee-off spots even if it's not the official one. And if it's a super casual round, the same on the fairway. One place I go to often the tee is like a lake after rain, so I just choose the asphalt path 15ft away - not gonna sweat the small details.

Last edited:

Latest posts