• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Throwing putters/ approach discs

Another Understable and underrated putter for driving is the Colt, modern version of the XD. Colt comes in several plastics to chose from, even G Star a soft premium plastic that you could even putt with as well as have a driving putter in the same plastic. Though I would go for a Star, thrower/approach and a DX, putter of the disc combo as I do not really like the G Star except for approach/putter shots.

I find this odd since so many players in the 2000's used a DX (very similar to a Colt) for a driving putter though not sponsored pro's, but regular people would particularly Masters, now Masters 40+ and the rest up groups. I think those older players were onto something using the XD as a driving putter.

Last edited:
"Never mind."
---- Gilda Radner.

I think the better Am players were using One of the Aviar's or Challenger in the 2000's as the driving putter. If not then the Rhyno or later in early 2008 the Pig was used as the Driving Putter. I did see a few like me at the time use a Upshot #2 especially when Prostyle came out. Mine is too warped on top to use for driving but I can still use it for my uphill/downhill putter. Now I use a big dome Star Shark the PFN ones still being sold to the market with almost too much flashing to really use well as my driving putter spot. The Shark flies slow enough especially the big dome Star Shark to be a good driving putter and or short midrange to approach shot disc. My uncle at the time in 2000's used a DX Rhyno 2 of them for his driving putter.

Last edited:
So, I'm no longer bagging the pure/harp combo. I opted to try the stud and it's working pretty well for now. I have a Rhyno compliment to my stud cycle and for approach shots that need hard fade, spike hyzer, hit and sit etc. I really like the feel of the stud and it's relatively easy to throw/work lines with. I'm still searching for that "magic" throwing putter and maybe it's the stud but I do know for now it's working

I'd like flights similar to what I already have. Understable/neutral flight and a trustworthy stable-overstable flights. I throw forehand upshots alot! I don't like beads, got rid of my roc3s and Gators because if it

For the ROC 3 flight try a Shark 3, they fly like a low/flat dome ROC or a ROC 3. Now a Gator hope you went Mortar if you wanted such a disc that flies like a Gator but beadless.

So, I'm no longer bagging the pure/harp combo. I opted to try the stud and it's working pretty well for now. I have a Rhyno compliment to my stud cycle and for approach shots that need hard fade, spike hyzer, hit and sit etc. I really like the feel of the stud and it's relatively easy to throw/work lines with. I'm still searching for that "magic" throwing putter and maybe it's the stud but I do know for now it's working

If you're looking for that magic putter, Gateway does have the "Magic". ;)

Seriously, the Magic is a shallow putter like the Stud/Colt. Good disc.

The Star Stud has been a good disc for me. Straight and accurate, nice for gentle anny flex/turnover shots. One thing about them, though: see how they work for you in a variety of wind conditions.

Today I took a (large) bag full of putters and approach discs to the range. Wind blowing either straight into my face or into my back; ideal for some form work and putter comparisons.

Results were similar to previous comparison work: the two longest putters were the Lucid Judge and Opto Pure. The Deputy did VERY well in tailwinds, though. For accuracy, the Judge was going surprisingly straight, which the Pure did also. The EMac Fuzion Warden was surprisingly flippy for me today, especially in headwinds; it would end up next to the Deputy.

So it's the Polekitty out to 120 ft. max, then the Lucid Judge. I may also bag the Deputy, but haven't decided on that yet...

If you're looking for that magic putter, Gateway does have the "Magic". ;)

Seriously, the Magic is a shallow putter like the Stud/Colt. Good disc.

The Star Stud has been a good disc for me. Straight and accurate, nice for gentle anny flex/turnover shots. One thing about them, though: see how they work for you in a variety of wind conditions.

Today I took a (large) bag full of putters and approach discs to the range. Wind blowing either straight into my face or into my back; ideal for some form work and putter comparisons.

Results were similar to previous comparison work: the two longest putters were the Lucid Judge and Opto Pure. The Deputy did VERY well in tailwinds, though. For accuracy, the Judge was going surprisingly straight, which the Pure did also. The EMac Fuzion Warden was surprisingly flippy for me today, especially in headwinds; it would end up next to the Deputy.

So it's the Polekitty out to 120 ft. max, then the Lucid Judge. I may also bag the Deputy, but haven't decided on that yet...

Magic being beadless is a turn off. I really like the bead for comfortability in my hand. This is one of the main reasons the pure didn't work

I usually play shorter 9-hole courses there most of the holes are in the 180-300range so i mostly throw putters and a few mids and fairways.

Currently I have five putter moulds. . .strange to some, fine for me :)

I think o own +30 different putter moulds . .. so i have tryed many before finding my "perfect" setup

Shorter "lay up" shots under 150feet i use Reptilian Disc Golf Scale, Serpent and Stego . . the Serpent replaced my Nova, something i newer saw coming.

The over 150 of the tee drives up to 230 i have Gateway Magic and Wizard in Evo. . and then in SSS for putts

I have played with just two driving/lay up putters. . .but it´s SOO much better with the five moulds i have now

I'm looking for a driving putter. I would like something HSS and neutral. I can throw my current putters about 225-240'. I was thinking about a Whale or a Nova. Anyone have any insight that might help me decide?

I'm looking for a driving putter. I would like something HSS and neutral. I can throw my current putters about 225-240'. I was thinking about a Whale or a Nova. Anyone have any insight that might help me decide?

HSS and neutral at 240'? You just described a Proxy.

Beat in plasma envy

You can always hit the marketplace for a used disc...

The Axiom Proxy would suit your needs off the shelf though.

I prefer premium plastics, so I'm kinda looking for something that I don't have to beat in.

Proxy or Atom are perfect for this shot. If you don't mind cycling IMO Atom can be a bit longer but don't stay in the sweet spot like a proxy.

another vote for proxy

Try a Gateway Warlock. Lower profile, but similar feeling to a P2. Stability is not too different either. I putt, throw, and flick these. The only other putter I carry is a Champ Rhyno for when the wind picks up.

Try a Gateway Warlock. Lower profile, but similar feeling to a P2. Stability is not too different either. I putt, throw, and flick these. The only other putter I carry is a Champ Rhyno for when the wind picks up.

Both solid putters, I have a cousin that putts with a Champion Rhyno he made as soft a Z FLX via a hot car so the putter is like an R-Pro Ryhno. He putts with so much power that he needs a Ryhno to stay at the OS they come with new but wanted a putter as soft as a modern R-Pro Ryhno so he did the hot car method to a Ryhno to get the soft Rhyno disc feel in a putter. He also has a regular Champion Ryhno that is his driving putter, the putting putter is a poor color in that blue that Innova makes as to have them easy to tell apart.