• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing putters

YES!!! Thank you, thank you! That makes so much friggen sense!!

I played hockey for a very long time - and I was initially thinking... "I could probably get into this stupid position if I was throwing LEFT HANDED!" and it's probably why I was able to get my hips driving really efficiently throwing forehand, but it's like I'm stuck the other way.

I am atrocious with shooting left handed, ball golfing left handed and that's the exact body mechanic that is required for a RHBH drive!!! Now I just need to imagine shooting left handed and it'll probably get my left hand in a better place too (on the stick).

I can't wait to go torture myself today!!! Seriously man, that's a huge mental break through.

Yep, I posted that pic awhile ago in another thread. As a former pitcher my FH was natural, and BH is just the opposite in the body motion, so it's almost like learning to throw lefty. It will take a lot of practice.

Yep, I posted that pic awhile ago in another thread. As a former pitcher my FH was natural, and BH is just the opposite in the body motion, so it's almost like learning to throw lefty. It will take a lot of practice.

It makes complete sense. Light bulb is on!

Shooting in hockey is always:
1. hips turn
2. shoulder turn
3. upper body follows (and it's pretty much momentum coming up, not this falling forward crap that I've been struggling with)

Trying to shoot without your hips is going to generate zero power, and to be honest it's NOT at all to do with how big your wind up is. Most guys can have their "reach-back" be there stick coming a foot off the ice, a strong hip pivot and they can hit you in the knee pads hard enough to make your knees go numb!

Yeah, so I ran over to an empty conference room - because I'm insane - and I was "throwing left handed" which is easy and feels right, and I was generating so much hand speed/momentum in my left hand that my hand hurt really badly as the amount of blood was jamming into it.

I can now feel the right movement that is needed... flipped it over to my right hand drive - it's there, but much harder to do - very much like shooting left handed.

I can't thank you enough, it's like I no longer feel insane.

This thread is indeed very interesting, since Im struggling with the exact same problem and just cant figure out how to stop that sliding foreward but keep the weight centered throughout the throw.
So Im really excited to see how it pans out for you. Since I never played Hockey, its a little hard to understand what you guys mean, but Im assuming it is the firm frontleg that resists the weight to slide over.

Lookin foreward to se some new videos of you HyzerUniBomber and hopefully see the improvement.

After messing around in the field for an hour - that there's a secondary thing that I sorta missed in this correlation. When you're using a hockey stick - it' maintains a connection between your shoulders, which I think is very helpful in keeping that upper body and arms as a uniform mass that turns back and forward as one.

I kept slipping back to my default, which is that I want to generate the acceleration with my arm. I think I'll mess with holding the disc with both hands during the reach back just to force the torso to turn back.

I also think I may grab a lefty hockey stick and start trying to develop a wrong-handed shot.

No doubt, it's going to take some serious work... this isn't going to be some "aha moment" that I can simply incorporate - but I do feel like it's a huge weight off my shoulders in that I at least understand what has to be developed, and in the MEANTIME - I can at least fix my form in terms of no longer bending at the waist, rocketing forward, etc.

That last one looked better as far as bracing the front side. You still get too heavy on the rear heel and lift the toes so you aren't quite torquing the rear leg through hips. Try hitting some one-handed BH slap shots, you will have to close up your front shoulder a little bit more to hit straight. You can also do this with a baseball bat, or golf club, and throwing the bat or club from a bent elbow position.

Another thought on this-

backhand2-sharapova.jpg

I was trying to place why the backhand hips felt familiar - I played quite a bit of tennis a long time ago - and it does seem to be a very similar motion.

Using a little 2 pound weight I was able to start really recreating the right motion last night - and thinking of it as hitting a tennis backhand helped quite a bit, especially with the balance.

I think the key for me is trying to tie the plant foot and rotation to something that I'm familiar with because from a stand-still - it was hard to generate any motion with a disc that didn't end up being all arm.

Once I thought of it as hitting a tennis BH (which actually uses the same hand as opposed to the backwards hockey shot) it's making it MUCH easier to feel the right positioning.

Yep tennis players have an advantage over most other sports backgrounds. Schwebby has a nasty bh and thumber from his tennis background.

Nice thread HZB and awesome input again from SW22! I've been struggling with the same issues as you. My main sport was tennis for over 10 years and firing my hips comes naturally with the tennis forehand and backhand. I feel I can build the same momentum with my FH in disc golf but backhand is a completely different story.

The whole concept of pulling the disc is messing with my body mechanics and screwing up my balance and posture for sure. I can generate a ton of power with a one-handed tennis backhand by staying balanced and relaxed but it doesn't translate into disc golf bh. I guess I should change the mental aspect of pulling the disc to accelerating through the hit point, basically the same concept as in tennis. Sounds so obvious when writing it down like this, heh.

Another concept I understand in tennis bh is moving the hit point far in front of you to gain power. Now to somehow get the elbow up and move the hit point in disc golf bh farther forward too...

Nice thread HZB and awesome input again from SW22! I've been struggling with the same issues as you. My main sport was tennis for over 10 years and firing my hips comes naturally with the tennis forehand and backhand. I feel I can build the same momentum with my FH in disc golf but backhand is a completely different story.

The whole concept of pulling the disc is messing with my body mechanics and screwing up my balance and posture for sure. I can generate a ton of power with a one-handed tennis backhand by staying balanced and relaxed but it doesn't translate into disc golf bh. I guess I should change the mental aspect of pulling the disc to accelerating through the hit point, basically the same concept as in tennis. Sounds so obvious when writing it down like this, heh.

Another concept I understand in tennis bh is moving the hit point far in front of you to gain power. Now to somehow get the elbow up and move the hit point in disc golf bh farther forward too...

Yeah, the hard part is that our brains really like to develop a motion that fits to the action. Changing it is all mental, it's like plowing a new neural pathway through concrete for me. At least I know where the road needs to go.

Update from today: the accuracy came around. I hit the bucket 2 out of 8 times from 250' on my first set of drives. 1 was short about 50' (threw it low) and the other 5 were within 10-20'.

I hit 350' with a 170g Anode on a pure anhyzer line and I feel like I'm putting almost no effort in to the throw.

Flat
vM7mGHT.jpg

Annie
F5czJtX.jpg

Still struggling with getting a good hip loading (toes) and my hip turn doesn't feel very natural. I've been swinging a putter left handed, swinging a tennis racket, working on getting a smoother hip turn. It's coming along, but certainly more work to do.

I am excited to see what kind of distance a teebird or destroyer can get... soon, I hope. The elbow is feeling substantially better.

So a few more rounds of fieldwork. I think the 350' putter shot (last week) was more luck than anything. I've not hit it again since, and most of the time I'm hitting about 275-300'. I think I probably caught some wind and stayed up longer... got lucky.

The great news is that driving from the toes on the back foot finally clicked. I had to stand on my toes at the beginning of the x-hop in order to make it "stick" - but the feeling was immediate. It seems to help tremendously in loading the plant foot.

This was a hyzer shot. I think I might still be opening my shoulders a bit early.

I had one shot that was THE shot. I waited a bit longer and the acceleration came a bit later and it just flat out RIPPED. I felt it once, really strongly, what that late acceleration can do... it's good.

More work to do, but still very happy to see it coming around.

Better, but you are dropping your elbow off plane and allowing the elbow too close to your body. Your shoulder should be turned back further longer at the plant. The arm is going to feel very wide from your body. It should be a shorter arm motion but longer shoulder motion.

That is the main critical point, but it really starts at the first pic or before because you reach back with the arm too far/too close to the chest. If you do a rear view(or bird eye) you will see better the issue of rounding. In the first pic Paul's disc is way out to the side(left side of tee) of the body, so he pull's inward into the chest or power zone and then outward. In your first pic the disc is well behind your body(toward the right side of the tee), so there's no inward move or really an outward move. You just kind of spin around. You want to create angles of acceleration.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24903&start=15