• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing straight

raydancer

I'm new at disc golf (playing for two months now) and I'm having a problem throwing straight. I'll throw a nice shot that does everything I wanted to...except it's 45 degrees off of the line that I intended to put it on.

I'm pretty sure it's a problem of my release point, but I'm not sure if there's a technique to help me fix it. I watched Dave Feldberg's push putting video and can see how that technique would reduce the margin of error for putting. What can I do to reduce the margin of error in my driving?

Go out in a field and practice throwing drives over and over. Look around here in the technique forums and on DGR to pick up some tips. You could post a video here and some of the better dudes can critique your form. But yeah it sounds pretty much like a release point problem, maybe you could slow down your throwing motion to practice timing.

How's your follow-through? That's a problem that I've struggled with and is getting better.

Been there, done that...

It sounds as if you've been educating yourself with the videos. That's good and there are a bunch on youtube as well. One thing that you don't want to be doing is trying to wing the crap out of it. I don't know if you are, but it's easy to try and throw it hard instead of working on a nice clean release.

I would recommend the Fundementals I DVD with Dave Feldberg and Ken Climo. It's good information about all parts of the game, but they do break down driving to a nice simple starting method and gradually build the power into it. The nice part is to watch a section, go practice, wathc it again, go practice, because you will pick up on things each time through.

Working on medium power throws with your putter and midrange discs are good to do. This will help you get the timing and release down before trying to add too much power too soon. Just a simple one step and throw, like you're playing catch with normal frisbee. Golf discs do require more spin and snap, but that will come. Always focus on form first, power second.

Let me start by saying that I am nowhere near being a pro-level player. However....

When I first started out, someone suggested that I think about the motion of "snapping a towel on someone's behind" when I try to throw straight. Or imagine yanking a lawn mower chord horizontally or slightly downward.

I just make sure that I keep the disc close to my chest. I make sure that my arm is never fully extended until I am releasing the disc. With this basic technique, I have no problem throwing straight. But I can't throw all that far either.

I used to live within walking distance of a football field. And I would practice straight drives there for a few hours at a time. But when you do that, you have to be careful about avoiding injury. I wouldn't recommend doing that more than 3 days a week. It probably depends on your age and recovery ability. Think of how starting baseball pitchers rest their arms by only playing every 1 out of every 4 or 5 games.

A bit more about my throw: I throw RHBH, I know the x-step, and typically throw 150-200 feet on a drive. Not very far, but I realize that power will come. I use a Pro-D Buzzz on 80% of my drives, and throw on a 9-hole course that averages to about 200 feet per hole (which is just about perfect for my current abilities). Though, the disc doesn't seem to matter with this problem...I can throw any disc I own in the wrong direction. I'd take video of my drive, but I haven't had a chance to just yet...it's something I may do in the future. Also, this doesn't happen every time I throw...maybe 1 out of 5 is really bad (45 degrees) and 2 out of 5 are a bit off (15 degrees or so). But I'd like to reign it in before I start playing on courses where I'd lose a disc to a "loose cannon" throw.

I do try to focus a lot on my follow through. If I want to throw hyzer, anhyzer, or straight, I think of how my arm will follow through to get those angles (an idea I got from watching Mark Ellis throw in this video). I've noticed that when I make a really nice throw, the release and follow through feel perfect. It's just hard to repeat it.

I need to keep in mind the towel-snapping imagery when I throw...that would probably help. There are so many things I'm thinking about when I step up to drive, it's hard to get it all together.

A straighter pull-through never hurt anyone (if you're throwing backhand).

Where are you at in central florida? I am over in St. Pete and would be glad to help out.

I'll look into getting the Disc Golf Fundamentals DVD. Does it offer significantly more than what can be found on youtube?

An inconsistent pull-through could very well be my problem. I'd assume that a straight pull-through would mean the disc could only go straight. The towel-snapping and cord-pulling comparisons work great, but neither of those actions have the long dramatic follow-through that I've seen in distance drivers. There's got to be a better way to understand how to connect pull-through, release, and follow-through.

Has anyone ever seen a video of a good driver from a top down view? I realize that it'd be difficult to shoot a video like that, but most of the mechanics of throwing a disc happen on a plane that the side view just doesn't seem to capture very well.

Something that may help is to get a really soft putter (r-pro aviar) and start playing catch at 100+ feet out with a buddy. It always seems to be easier to hit your pal square in the numbers than a basket. You'll start to get the feel for the throw and the release.

when i have to throw laser straight i back off to about 50%-60% power.

I cant crush it and make it go straight in the same throw.

Has anyone ever seen a video of a good driver from a top down view? I realize that it'd be difficult to shoot a video like that, but most of the mechanics of throwing a disc happen on a plane that the side view just doesn't seem to capture very well.

The Fundamentals DVD has this.

I'll look into getting the Disc Golf Fundamentals DVD. Does it offer significantly more than what can be found on youtube?

The Climo/Feldberg Fundamentals covers a lot of territory. I just watched the Scott Stokley video and it's very comprehensive and informative. Both follow a more logical flow and provide more detail than what is commonly available on YouTube.