• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing up hill

ljerome

Par Member
I am interested in finding out how you all approach up hill holes. By that I mean holes that have inclines for the first 100-150 feet then crest and flatten out or drop off. Lets say the total distance is 350 feet. I have seen folks succeed with flex anny's and Tomahawks so I am thinking I better start practicing those type of shots because a regular RHBH flat or hyzer flip makes it to the top of the hill but then stalls out as it is nose up.

How do you approach it?

If the terrain allows it, rollers can work well.

I was just about to ask about that. Can you roll up a hill and make it past the crest you normally wouldn't be able to hyzerflip over?

I live on flat ground lol. Cant practice elevation hardly at all :(

I just want to say that telling my doubles partner that we need to "throw up" is one of my favorite parts of disc golf. :| You can resume posting useful comments.

I was just about to ask about that. Can you roll up a hill and make it past the crest you normally wouldn't be able to hyzerflip over?

I live on flat ground lol. Cant practice elevation hardly at all :(

Sure can. Unfortunately they can roll all the way up and then curl back down or even over the crest and keep rolling into who the hell knows where.

Check out ghe CCDG round five video from Moraine at Worlds this year. I think that it's part two of the video and it might be hole 17. I'm on my phone and can't check for sure. But those guys throw some wicked uphill rollers... Although not in your exact situation.

Sounds like hole 31 on Tyler West. I vote for something rather understable, as well. Something Witness or Sidewinder like. You can watch the pros throw it on the Yetter Championship Cup footage. Should be on YouTube.

understable and glidey
and try to stay "parallel" to the fairway with your throw, but dont throw up keep clean.

O^P said:
Throwing up hill

I just want to say that telling my doubles partner that we need to "throw up" is one of my favorite parts of disc golf. :| You can resume posting useful comments.

Don't eat a hill and you won't have to throw it up. :|

Say, "Pass." and move along?

God, I hate uphill holes... Like everyone else has said, something understable, try to throw as straight as possible with extra concentration on spin, and pray.

My approach to uphills is a simple one. Throw on a higher trajectory than I normally would. I like a long sweeping hyzer for these situations.

I kind of agree with this. I usually throw something stable to overstable, and release as flat as possible.

Great information to chew on, but not throw up. Thank you. Also, no chance for roller, terrain is too rocky.

Hyzerflip, one tick longer and one tick more understable than I'd pick if the shot were flat.
Like this example at Pier Park, Hole 5, straight up a steep hill through the slot to the right of the basket, finishing left once you're over the top -- about 315' to the pin. On flat ground, the shot would be a gentle hyzer with TB or a full flat Sentinel. But up the hill, it is a hyzer-flip with a JLS or OLS -- one tick longer one tick less OS. Throwing uphill, you're going to be throwing nose-up by definition, so you'll get that fade back as the disc slows down.

Attachments

• pier.jpg
    pier.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Just played course with crazy uphill I used a nuke ss I got in the mail and ended up getting a eagle 357 ft uphill with an easy putt

Latest posts