• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumber Q

DNap4

Hey all, I had a question on the rotations of my thumber throw. When I was in a tournament a few weeks back and threw a few thumbers that some players said were weird. I normally throw my thumbers and power them through, and all of them do at least 2 rotations (spiral) before stabilizing on the last flip. If going for distance I always throw at the 12-1 position. I've not had the opportunity to play with many thumbers and was wondering if that's normal to throw a spiral thumber with more than one rotation after the release.

From looking it up, if it doesn't flip once, the disc probably isn't going fast enough. To flip it once you are throwing the disc at the correct speed and the disc is stable in it's flight. If I'm flipping it over 2-3x in flight, am I just overpowering the disc in it's flight? Right now I primarily thumb with firebirds and teebirds. I can get about 300' from my thumber. Though I'm starting to think I'm throwing it wrong and probably could get more distance.

Don't think I've ever seen the double flip before. That happens on all your thumbers with the firebird?

MY buddy gets a double flip on his tomahawks but it's because of his poor technique. Are you throwing an Epic for this shot?

I've seen double flips on long distance overhead shots, but those were all thrown by former baseball players! I know one of them was throwing an Aerobie Epic for his overhead shots.

The longer the distance, the more flips I get. It'll go vertical out from the release, go flat, vertical again, flat, and then sometimes I'll get another vertical --> flat to land. I'm a former baseball player, and the thumber/tommy are shots I'm thinkin about improving for my game. If I can, I'd like to get more distance from them. If they flip more than twice, I feel it adds more resistance to the disc and reduces the distance. I'm starting to think my release angle and velocity are correlating to more flips. I don't think I lob my thumbers, I release at probably 45-60deg angle from the ground.

I throw a glow faf firebird for max distance thumber overhand shots. It's very OS. I have to crush it to push it to 300' on an air shot with out flexing it out but for thumbers 300' is about its normal range as long as I get the angle right. It flips super slow and pans out quite a bit sometimes it doesn't even flip all the way depending on wind and angle. I've never been able to throw US stuff well but I don't really work on OH because of shoulder injury. Throw this shot 1% of the time or less.

I could see this happening if you threw a BOMB with an understable disc or Epic, but not with a TB or FB. I also throw a FB thumber about 300', and it's nowhere close to having two complete flips.

Double rotation thumbers with a FB or TB?
Hmmmmm, color me skeptical.
Video or it didn't happen.

Ive been tossing OH, mostly thumbers, alot more recently. Playing with just a Faf firebird and putter at glow and casual.

My max on a nice day after warming up the shoulder is 310/315'. Cold night, not really warmed up at glow on wednesday was 290'.

So a question for 300' + ft thumber throwers.

I read in the albatross thread the guy throws nuke OS for his max d thumbers.

I was wondering does anybody throw faster speed OS discs like apes/ xcals/ pd2s for thumbers and get better distance then control driver speed like a firebird/ flick?

Video please, I don't believe your claim unless it is an Epic.