• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Another question, anyone pairing these up with Valkyries? Seems like it could be a nice driver setup

Yeah, I carry a G* and Champ Thunderbird along with an XG Valk this winter. They've met my needs pretty well, even when I leave the faster stuff out of the bag.

Ditto for me, at least while its cold out still. Pro and XG valks for US/straight, and *thunderbird for OS. I normally carry an array of orcs and leave out most/all the valks but I had the misfortune of cracking a pearly orc in January, so no old plastic during the winter anymore. These are usually the fastest disc I carry unless there is a lot of wide open space to work a tern or destroyer. For the record, the star thunderbird replaced the need for starfires and (most) firebirds in my bag. I still carry a star FB for courses when the thunderbird may not carry a flick as far as I need without turning, but the starfire was something I only carried on the windiest of days where I was afraid of my orcs flipping.

I use a Star Valkyrie and a G* Thunderbird. I think it makes a good pairing, for me anyway.

I've been using a cycle of PDs, but I think I'll give the Firebird/Thunderbird/Valkyries setup a try for a little while. I felt like the Valkyries were a little easier to throw than my beat pPDs, so I'm hoping the thunderbird will take over my stable PD slot.

I have two glow's that have held up stablility wise quite well. However, champs develop turn pretty quickly. I love them brand new, but after two weeks I don't throw them as much.

My Metal Flake champs are holding their stability very well. Still basically the same when they were brand new. My main thrower champ has developed some turn. If I only had champs that would irritate me, but the MF is holding down the stable shots just fine. Its only a matter of time before my main throw champ goes dead straight for 380ish, which is awesome.

so my buddy gave me his protostar one to break it in for him and also try out a thunderbird without having to buy one.. brand new it is nice and stable, surprisingly nice flying and holds a line really well. it pretty much holds the line but can be touchy if you have any OAT. But what I am really concerned about is how long it will last in this spot. so if a new one is holding well and maybe finishing a touch left rhbh, how long until it starts turning?

I've been trying to beat some in to turn since I like to cycle discs and haven't done it yet. I carry one of each plastic. I use Gstar for flex shots, Champ for dead straight and Star are definitely the most stable. The Stars are closest to a PD for sure. I like them better than a PD. I've been throwing the same Gstar since it came out and it won't hold a turn. Always comes out at the end. I went with a 171g Champ trying to get some turn out of it but it's still just dead nuts straight. I still bag one TL3 for the turnover shot until my Champs get beat. The Thunderbird is by far my favorite driver to throw.

JL plastic is hard as crap in MY experience. It takes lots and lots of throws in the field to break them in naturally. I suspect that they won't lose a sweet spot for a long time.

My glow 172 flies like a nice new champ teebird, +30 or so feet. I'm excited to see it beat a little and hopefully glide nice and straight like my seasoned champ teebird. I also bag a PD and firebird. I like the speed and rim size, and all these discs fly a little different.

For some reason I have had a couple of JL discs lose their initial stability pretty quickly, but stay stable for a long time afterwords. Anomaly or subjectivity, I just don't know.

I just shelved my G* Thunderbird, after 6 months of playing with it, it's just a meat hook, I can throw my Banshee just as far and more predictably. Maybe I just got a freak disc. I was expecting a longer teebird, instead, it's closer to my Firebird. I'll stick with the PD for now and maybe revisit it later in the year.

I have been toying with a blue champion thunderbird for the last two weeks and i must say.. I'm impressed. I have been waiting on a Legacy mold to pair with my Bandits.. well one slower then the Outlaw.. and this disc fit in perfectly! Damn thing is so predictable and surprisingly i can chuck it out there pretty far.. cant imagine how sweet one would be once its seasons in a bit but so far so good.. if you have been on the fence about a champ thunderbird i wouldnt hesitate!

I just started using the Thunderbird (well since January) and I must say I love this disc. I know there are a lot of similar discs out there. But the two I have are just perfect.

I have a Champ that is a little lighter in weight (168) and has been worked in. Its a great thrower, great control, still stable-overstable, but not a firebird of course.

I like when the Thunderbird is worked in, as I am a Valkyrie thrower, I am happy to see some turn in the disc at high speed, but I can absolutely trust it that it's not flipping off to Narnia.

I have a 175g Glow Thunderbird that is a slight bit more OS than the other, but not a huge difference...its the same disc of course.

In situations where I may hyzerflip the Valk or Roadrunner I can now confidently throw the Thunderbird flat and have a similar result. The Thunderbird has a similar fade as a Valk, but holds the straight line longer.

Roadrunner, Valk, Thunderbird, Firebird.....I love that setup...and its all I need for drivers in many courses that are not too long or are presenting a good amount of wooded holes, the control of these (speed 9) drivers are perfect.

My rating on the Thunderbird would be 9/5/-0.5/2.25 haha but for simplicity lets just call it accuracy and control driver #1

I have one max weight g* that I've been throwing since they were first stock released. It has developed a few degrees of turn and makes a beautiful moderate distance control driver. I also have one max weight champ that I use for moderate drives and fairway. When you learn to control it, it's really cool to throw these things and have them just die and sit there. I also have a glow that is wildly Overstable. It just collects dust. But this is a great mold that I see sitting in my bag for a LONG time

I picked up a couple CFR champ Thunderbirds this weekend. I've given them both a few tosses, and they're pretty nice. The handfeel fits right in with PDs and my 1.2 QOLF.

One of them is dead stable and fits between my seasoned SPD and CPD. Straight with a strong fade even into a moderate wind.

The other has some turn but then BOOM - late fade. I haven't compared PLH on the two, but I would really like more like it. I'm afraid that this is probably a freak.

How have the Thunderbirds been seasoning for you? Losing fade or gaining turn?

Latest posts