• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ticks and permethrin

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I live in Pennsylvania and we have a lot of ticks this season. Being that I'm a super mosquito magnet, I worried that maybe I'm also a tick magnet, so I bought some permethrin-treated socks and was wondering if I'm just late to the party here or if this kind of thing has been common knowledge amongst you guys here.

I also bought a spray bottle of it since it seems to be made for camping gear, why not a disc bag? I've already seen pics of folks from around here of ticks found on bags.

But I don't really like Off spray (I did use the wipes a lot last season). Sounds like this permethrin stuff is different though, especially how it is encapsulated into the clothing.

Deet is mostly useless. Permethrin works, just costs more. I gave up on tick spray about six or five years ago when the population exploded. Lint rollers work pretty well when you get in a patch of wee babies, which happens often lately.

I live in tick central. Keys:

1) Permethrin treated clothes, socks, shoes, and bags. I buy the spray on type and soak all my items. I will spray all clothes after 4 washes even though they say it lasts 6.

2) Buy a Tick Twister. If you do find one on you, they are the best, safest, and quickest way to get them off you.

3) Get in the habit of putting all your DG clothes right in the washer and take a shower. That really prevents any from attaching.

4) Tick Checks -- get someone to check you over. This is really key.

Good luck. They are nasty little bugger. Since I have done the preceding, I rarely have had any attach. When I have seen them on my clothes, they will simply just fall off and not be able to crawl. Getting your bag is key, since I have often found them on my sides, stomach, and back and I think that attach to the bag before I put them on. Switching to a roller for some of this season so that might help them fro hitching a ride.

I live in tick central. Keys:

1) Permethrin treated clothes, socks, shoes, and bags. I buy the spray on type and soak all my items. I will spray all clothes after 4 washes even though they say it lasts 6.

2) Buy a Tick Twister. If you do find one on you, they are the best, safest, and quickest way to get them off you.

3) Get in the habit of putting all your DG clothes right in the washer and take a shower. That really prevents any from attaching.

4) Tick Checks -- get someone to check you over. This is really key.

Good luck. They are nasty little bugger. Since I have done the preceding, I rarely have had any attach. When I have seen them on my clothes, they will simply just fall off and not be able to crawl. Getting your bag is key, since I have often found them on my sides, stomach, and back and I think that attach to the bag before I put them on. Switching to a roller for some of this season so that might help them fro hitching a ride.

Yes on all this -- the disease is way worse than the prevention. Get used to triple checking every time you're in the woods.

Lyme disease is un-fun.

Also, if you do have some whacked-out symptoms (mine were nausea/fever that felt like sea-sickness but I've heard others with way different) that you've never had before after a tick bite go straight to the doctor and take all the antibiotics prescribed.

Disc golfers . . .. tick magnets even though they think it's a misspelling.

Last edited:
funguy knows what's up. The course I'm installing has been murderous with ticks so I've gotten quite adept at avoiding them. Permethrin is the only thing I've tried that actually makes a noticeable impact in repelling them. I spray it on my pants, where my shirt and pants meet, and socks and tuck my pants into my socks and my shirt into my pants. The only other thing I can add that is very key is to wear light colored clothing so that you can do frequent tick checks and spot them easily, especially if they get past your waist. Keep your cats away from permethrin.

No reason why you can't use both. I treat my clothes with Permethrin (as well as other outdoor items like hammocks / tents / etc) and I also use Deet. Permethrin affects the nervous system in insects, causing muscle spasms, paralysis and death. Deet is just a deterrent.

Side note: Permethrin can stain on some fabrics (google it).

Second the tick twister (makes it much easier / safer to get off)

Yes on all this -- the disease is way worse than the prevention. Get used to triple checking every time you're in the woods.

Lyme disease is un-fun.

Also, if you do have some whacked-out symptoms (mine were nausea/fever that felt like sea-sickness but I've heard others with way different) that you've never had before after a tick bite go straight to the doctor and take all the antibiotics prescribed.

Disc golfers . . .. tick magnets even though they think it's a misspelling.

I had it a couple years ago. My only symptom at all was that I just itched all over. I'm typically not a "scratcher". But this was driving me nuts. It was everywhere except for my head and my privates.

Went to the dermatologist who recommended a different "skin condition" treatment. Fortunately, just in case, he had me get bloodwork done, too. When my primary care doc reviewed the results in front of me he did a double take, with eyes bulging out of his head, and I knew that the test results weren't good. :p

I think they test for 15 reactives and 5 is normally considered a positive result for Lyme. Well, all 15 were positive for me. He said he never saw that before. Ughh.

Anyway, I finished the antibiotic run and never experienced any other symptoms at all. I was very fortunate.

Permethrin can be had cheaply in the form of cattle insecticide, found at any farm supply store. You will need to dilute these products and use them carefully. I made my own tick killer for a while but since the nymphs don't spread disease I quit worrying about it. I still get bitten by adult ticks now and then but that's ok. They're doing what they're supposed to do. If the stated statistics regarding Lyme carriers are accurate, I should have been infected many many times by now. Perhaps I have been. However, the odds of some truly serious problem are low, and I'm not interested in seeking protection from every possible disaster.

Permethrin is great. I always treat my shoes, clothes and the base of my tent if I'm ever playing or camping in areas that are known to have a lot of ticks.

The only thing to keep in mind is really pay attention to the instructions label on the Permethrin bottles. Spray it on your clothing outside and let it dry completely before wearing it. ESPECIALLY if you're also combining it with deet on your skin. I personally try not to combine permethrin and deet.

And as BrotherDave mentioned, permethrin is very toxic to cats. My girlfriend's family did not know this and their cat got quite ill. He didn't die thankfully.

I am going to reiterate most here. Permetherin is the stuff. A couple times a season I bust out my socks, shorts, shirts and douse them, paying attention to the waistband of my shorts and bottom third of my shirts. I have picked up a couple with clothing, that I have taken off and wrapped around the handle of my cart, as well. Wash your clothes immediately and jump in the shower. This is good poison ivy advise, as a bonus. Don't skip doing these things, no matter how many cocktails have been had after the round. I do wear shorts and believe I can feel ticks as they jump aboard. I just got a tick twister as a joke, from a disc golf buddy......haha.....it is in my bag, no joke. Ticks are bad news and dangerous.

i spray my shoes, socks, pants, bag, and hat with permethrin. Then I spray my arms (and legs if wearing shorts), and back of my neck with picaridin. I had lyme twice, since I started this routine a few years ago I've only ever found one tick on me.

It's critical to check yourself after a round. I hiked through some wooded areas of a park last year while looking to design a few new holes. I didn't find any on me after exiting the woods. But when I got home, somehow one made its way up my right pant leg and was just sitting on my calf. It freaked me out! Fortunately it hadn't bit me. Lyme disease, if not caught early enough, can cause a myriad of medical problems. And this year is suppose to be a very bad year for them, so protect yourself - it will be waaay worth it in the end.

Frodo's uncle Bilbo, handed down a tick resistant shirt made of permethril...

Light as a feather, but tough as dragon scales.... which is nice when you shank your drive into some wildly thorny brush. But alas, the elves don't make that stuff anymore.

Now that's some OOP equipment I'd pay good money for.

I made my own tick killer for a while but since the nymphs don't spread disease I quit worrying about it.

Nymphs do spread Lymes disease. While they're not more likely to carry the disease, they're generally considered the most dangerous since they are often undetected long enough to transmit whereas adult ticks are usually noticed and removed before they can spread the disease.

That being said here is an important recommendation I haven't seen on the thread yet:

If you find a tick on you, and it's engorged, or you have good reason to believe it's been attached for 24+ hours prior to removal, you should call your doctor and ask for a prophylactic dose of antibiotics. It's a single pill and can prevent the infection.

Nymphs do spread Lymes disease. While they're not more likely to carry the disease, they're generally considered the most dangerous since they are often undetected long enough to transmit whereas adult ticks are usually noticed and removed before they can spread the disease.

You are correct, I used the wrong term. Larval ticks are the ones you don't need to worry about. Having not yet eaten, they have had no chance to pick up disease. They are also the only ones that will get on you by the hundreds.

Hypercaution is ok if disc golf is your only exposure to the outdoors. If you spend a lot of time in the woods almost every day though, being bitten by ticks is just a part of life and you'll have to learn to hope for the best.

I just go everywhere with a flock of Guinea hens at my side. Not only do they keep bugs at bay, they keep me safe from being stalked by a predator also. Win/Win.

The premixed permethrin spray is convenient, but pricy. As stated above you can buy concentrated permethrin and dilute to soak your clothing in. I personally soak everything I wear, including my underwear. I also spray my bag and shoes. I was infected with Lyme playing dg near Allentown a few years ago, but they are all over up where I live in WNY. If anyone has any questions as to how to dilute the concentrated mix or where to buy it feel free to message me and I can walk you through it. I don't want to see anyone get Lyme because they don't know how to take preventive measures.

It's not just Lyme: Powassan is on the rise!

Definitely good to see everyone is aware of the tick-borne disease threat. Remember though: Lyme Disease is not the worst that can happen from a tick bite!

Powassan virus is on the rise in the eastern US, and while it is not a severe illness for everyone, those who are susceptible will suffer severe encephalitis that is in up to 50% of cases followed by permanent neurological damage or death.

Powassan was found to be present in the deer tick Population two or three years ago, and since deer ticks feed directly on humans, cases of Powassan are increasing.

Stay safe and protect yourself!

Lots of good information here.

Permethrin really seems to work in my experience with it. Unfortunately, the setup (spraying out-of-doors, reapplying after several trips through the washer, avoiding cats, etc.) sometimes is too much for me. But if I'm doing some serious backpacking where I know ticks are a thing I'll always use it.

I *DO* always combine with DEET. DEET doesn't do much for ticks but I spray on skin for mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes and ticks can carry more than one disease, and they keep discovering new ones....so better over prepared than under.

TBH, chiggers are the thing I worry most about...damn things suck.