• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tightest fairways

In general the tightest fairways I have played as I take into consideration all the courses in a given area were in Charlotte, NC.

There was one hole at Hornets Nest that was tight all the way and pinched at about 200 ft out to about 1.5 ft wide. Or at least it felt that way at the time. I am guessing with the course closed and being redesigned that it might not be there any more.
The Gauntlet, yep. That one sprung to mind immediately.
Bluegill hole #3 is called the bowling alley and it is insanely tight. OB on both sides sometimes during tournaments makes it easy to take 6s and 7s. Getting a 3 on it during a round is a great feat. I was lucky enough , during warm ups for the second round of dawg days, to ace it with an aviar. It was my first ace and it was purely by luck. I will never forget that hole.

uxwds.jpg
Nice! I deuced it by parking a Breaker when I played there. I wish the rest of my round went that well. :\

Hole 6 @ Kinston is definitely top 3 and a very deserving repost here:

a1858fff.jpg

Seemed like 2/3s of Swingin' DBs used to look like that, lol. Haven't been there since the big storm opened it up, I need to.

Hole 16 @ Creekside Park in Archdale, NC is absurd too, if I'm playing for any kind of score I throw a FH roller off the tee:

4e2fc818.jpg

Yeesh. That second one is brutal. Is there some sort of anny FH line that cuts through there?

Yeesh. That second one is brutal. Is there some sort of anny FH line that cuts through there?

A lucky FH is pretty much the only way you're getting past through the air. Then the basket sits on top of this dirt mound that you can faintly make out in the pic, just to compound your bogeys with rollaways. It's the craziest damn hole.

It's always tough to decipher the depth perception from a picture, but these two holes are just plain stupid.

a1858fff.jpg

4e2fc818.jpg

Here's another pic of the 1st one:

44f5e265.jpg

It's 162', par 3. I'm 99.9% sure Harold Duvall let Russell Schwarz design that one. It's a WTF moment for sure. The rest of the course is pretty solid though.

The 2nd one is hole 16 @ Archdale's Creekside Park. It's a 312' par 4 from the longs and that extra par is absolutely justified, ha ha. It's 189' par 3 from the shorts which are basically at the bottom of the hill.

Here's the look from the Red:
4e71b995.jpg

You can see it's perfectly negotiable from there, it's just that hallway tight gap at the bend right before the bottom of the valley that pushes the needle from fairway to unfairway. The Schwarz was strong with this hole.

13 at Elver is probably Madison's tightest fairway. The new left spot on 14 has a really tight line too, but there's also a wider hyzer route.

Attachments

• d631b65b_m.jpg
    d631b65b_m.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 35
My "home" course (Rothwell Park, Woods course), has a couple of contenders. #8 is straight, narrow, and uphill for about 350'. #17 isn't very narrow ... until you figure out that you should have a look at 2 most times; then it's a super narrow hyzer-flip. Width, height, and distance are all critical.

Todd Park in Austin, MN. I forget the hole number, but it is either 8 or 9. It is barely a service road; thick woods on both sides and a low canopy for something like 600+ feet. The last time out I took it in 3; putter drive, putter drive, putter approach in from 120+ feet. The rest in my group, which were playing best shot to my Cali, were carding 6s and 7s.

It's hole 10 and it's exactly 500'.

67108a95.jpg

dc0cb7f5.jpg

#9 at Paint Creek in Bainbridge Ohio. 286 feet.

5ad7a3ee.jpg

#13 at Armco White in Ashland, KY. 288 from the short tees.

It's 162', par 3. I'm 99.9% sure Harold Duvall let Russell Schwarz design that one. It's a WTF moment for sure.
IDK... Duvall used to throw in one super tight hole on his courses;
16 at Ashe County Park and 15 at Tom Triplett come to mind.
Hocking Hills and the Twilight zone have some crazy tight holes.

Panthorn DG course in CT is 85% 10-15 foot fairways and some holes are 500ft long.

It's one of those courses that unfairly gets crappy ratings because of the tight fairways. I loved it when I played there, still got killed and shot crappy scores, but understood that the holes have lines that need to be hit.

Panthorn DG course in CT is 85% 10-15 foot fairways and some holes are 500ft long.
It's one of those courses that unfairly gets crappy ratings because of the tight fairways. I loved it when I played there, still got killed and shot crappy scores, but understood that the holes have lines that need to be hit.

Sometimes courses like that can be good to practice, as it really improves one's accuracy. At the same time, it can beat one down mentally after a while because there is just no forgiveness for any errors, and one is then having to make "get out of jail" shots that are just no fun (especially over time).

Anyhoo...I'm going to go to a couple of courses in this area and take pics of the tight (if existent at all) fairways, and will post them here when I get them uploaded...

3 locally, all on the same course, all consecutive:

Indian Hills hole 15

view_image.php

Hole 16:

view_image.php

Hole 17:

view_image.php

most rounds I shoot there are made or broken on these 3 holes. Really 10-17 are all pretty brutal. If you can card eve on the back 9, you've done something pretty special imo.

We've got a local park (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6594) Palm Bay Regional in Palm Bay, FL, that gets a lot of hate from the local guys because of the tightness of the fairways. The course designer essentially designed it to play for par, rather than a birdiefest.

I love it. When I do score well, it means more. When I don't, I remember where I'm playing and I'm never too hard on myself.

Latest posts