• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Time for a new driver...

I would get a good Eagle for a shorter range driver, and for a long range driver get a Westside Sword.

someone else suggested a River, i think that would be a good choice as well, they are very easy to throw and have MEGA glide :)

I'm surprised nobody has asked you for more info yet. How far are you throwing these discs? What line is your Mamba typically taking? What mids are you throwing (I ask because if you throw something overstable like a Pain you might prefer something more overstable like a Teebird, etc). Why not stick with what you know until you have that dialed in? If Mark and Abbi leave Seattle and Chicago at the same time, with Mark going east at 70 mph and Abbi going west at 124 mph (assuming no stops for gas because it's the future and disc golf fusion is the new energy source), where and when will they meet?

Give us answers to each of these questions and we should be able to offer better advice.

B Mart...the Mamba generally would start out heading a bit right then glide a while and genlty fade. I can get it out there 300 on a good toss. I can throw a Nuke and Valk decently forehand, and can get it in the same range. I use a crysztal Buzzz and Mako for most mids, though I also use a Stingray. I throw my leopard decent...just got a TL I need to work on more. Short game is improving, especially approaches but I want 400+ foot capability!

Thanks for missing my stupid question :D.

I'm no expert. I was just asking those questions because I'm sure someone who is an expert can help you better when they know those answers. If the Mamba only starts out a "bit" right and flies straight you might have trouble with more stable discs. I say that because something as understable as a Mamba is (supposedly) going to turn over and glide right for about a month and a half before fading back a tiny bit. I've never thrown a Mamba or Mako though, so it's hard to give opinions on what else would work for you. Just go drive some putters for a while and find your form flaws. Then fix them. Then see what the Mamba does with your new form and make a new disc decision based on that.

At 300', it seems like you could benefit from going down in speeds to a teebird or other stable driver. This would help you get to 400' believe it or not! It teaches you to use your whole body instead of your arm for distance. Check out the stickys in the technique thread for more info. Sometimes higher speed discs will hold you back. Dont believe the hype that disc companies sell. Their objective is to sell discs and they do that through distance promises.

I seriously think we should look into adding Vibram's fairways to the list of discs to recommend to a beginner. In my experience, they don't require a ton of power to get going, and the grip on them is astounding. The only major downside is that they are not useful to teach a beginner about a disc's wear pattern over its life.

Proto- I have been told my form is not bad, that I have a good follow through. I am lacking in snap and my release points are still off but when I started a backhand would go straight up and left.

I would have suggested a PD, but with those distances, there's not much point. I'd go for either a Teebird or Stalker, and just learn to push those out there for awhile.

I seriously think we should look into adding Vibram's fairways to the list of discs to recommend to a beginner. In my experience, they don't require a ton of power to get going, and the grip on them is astounding. The only major downside is that they are not useful to teach a beginner about a disc's wear pattern over its life.

This! Regarding wear pattern, let them throw rubber. Why would we bother teaching new players that golf discs wear out? :)

All the above are great suggestions, I dont know how far you throw the Nuke, but is you have a slower arm speed try the Nuke SS. As you build up arm speed it will turn over but until then you will get some major distance.

If you want to know a good disc to practice with (and yes, I'm being serious here) grab yourself a DX Archangel and go throw that in a field for awhile. If you can stretch that out to 350 (or beyond?) you will be set. I always reccomend drivers that people tend to neglect for people trying to add distance and accuracy. Don't be afraid to throw a "begginer's" disc for awhile.

Archangel (8 5 -4 1) is very similar to the Mamba (11 6 -5 1). I took my Archangel out of my bag when I got the Mamba.

I bought Vibrams (almost all Med X-link) after I started throwing Lat64 Rivers. I liked the Trak when I threw it and ended up getting the whole vibram lineup and I thew them for about a month until I was getting them to 300+ foot holes.

Recently I played in a tournament where I was only using a 175 SOLS for my drives and Vibrams for everything else. Last night I decided to just throw my 162 SOLS and 161 DX Boss on my drives. My SOLS was nice and straight, but I started flipping my Boss to the point that I needed to hyzer flip it. I've only used it on a few holes, and it's not damaged or beat up. It surprised me that I was actually flipping over discs! I only started playing in June, but I've had a history of Ultimate. I think I'm finally ready to try out those 12-13 speed max weight drivers I bought when I first started! My only real problem now are the huge skips I get when these discs land. That's when I pull out the Vibram...I like broken in, not beat up discs.

I recommend those 7 speed drivers (TL, teebird, Eagle,River,Trak,Ascent,etc..) and then moving up to a 9 speed (OLS, Saint). It's more satisfying to see them go straight.

I had a 171g Mamba that I really liked, and I was throwing it straight for a week, until I grip-locked it and it did the best anny into the bayou. I wanted to replace it, but we'll see if I can't break in a baseline plastic disc into what I want, first.

This! Regarding wear pattern, let them throw rubber. Why would we bother teaching new players that golf discs wear out? :)

You have been playing about a year according to your profile. I would advise staying away from things like the Nuke / Destroyer / Fat Rimmed, Fast drivers.

The popular fairway drivers you hear about all the time gain that following for a couple reasons: They serve as great learning tools, are consistent performers, and are generally quite versatile.

Learn on a Leo, Eagle, or Teebird.

Discraft's Stalker could also make this list.

Lat 64's River or Saint as well.

Those wide rimmed fast drivers will, in all likelyness, only set you back.

The Valk is a great long range driver for people young to the game, but I still think fairways will teach you more.

^this I would suggest teebird or leopard