• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Time playing, and distance you can throw

Dude, 450' is a perfect shot in the open on a warm day, we won't be seeing any of those any time soon. Have you played Shoaff's alternates, yet?

No I have not played the alternate tees yet, you were the one that mentioned to me that they existed. I suggested Shoaff because it's the only course in the Fort that has open longer holes.

I wish I would have measured my distance when I first started to know how much I've improved since then. Anyways, hopefully I can work on it in the spring and start hitting the 400s consistently.

I've been playing about a year and a half now, not counting my "discovery" of the sport back in college and subsequent 7-year layoff.

My "full strength" backhand drives are usually between 300-350', depending on whether I'm throwing for control or distance. My form is still developing, and I expect I'll add a little distance in the next year or so. I only tee off with a forehand drive when I really need to lay up to a controlled point on a tricky fairway, because I honestly can't figure how to get my forehand out beyond 200'. I'm sure there's something wrong with my form or my choice of discs, but I haven't solved it yet. As everyone seems to be fond of saying, I can throw it farther in the right conditions, but I'm not a guy who can throw it through the goal posts from the back of the opposite end zone with any consistency.

I've been playing less than 6 months and have found "the forehand flick" to be the best throw for accuracy and distance. I can't believe the distance achieved with this shot! I can consistently throw out to 325 ft with relative ease. I love this shot. I use a Star Destroyer , a Champion Wraith, or a Star FL. The FL is a great upshot disc while the Star Destroyer can add phenomenal distance with the Wraith being the go to disc in tough corridors.

I use the Star FL with a forehand Anhyzer flight path. This shot (right forehand with disc breaking to the RHFH's left) is very accurate too.

I usually can forehand every drive with improved accuracy!

I love this shot!

Seems like a lot of exaggerated 'guesstimates', and a few honest answers.

nothing like a little cynicism to liven up a thread...:rolleyes:

i paced mine out several times...i suppose that would allow for maybe a +/-25-30' tolerance...

I used a tape measurer and spray painted the grass in incriments of 25 feet. BOOYAH!!!!!

Originally Posted by Disc_Pro

No one is going to throw the same drive distance every time.. If the thread title was 'what is the average distance of your drives' you would get a different answer. I think an average throw is probably 50 feet shorter than what most people list as their maximum. I can't throw 400 feet consistently... maybe 350.. On most courses you will never have to throw over 400 feet to be competitive.

How much does that laser pointer cost? Where can you buy them? And what's the margin of error to a point on flat ground say, 300 feet away?

By the way, I measured (estimated) my drives using distances between landmarks on a field with Google Earth.

Par???

I'm lucky to practice once a week and might get to play twice a month on a course in a good month. I've just been playing two years now with disc golf discs and hadn't even played thow and catch more than once a year for over 20 years (I'm 41 now).

My distance started out at about 175' almost right from the beginning with a 175g DX Valkyrie in March of 2007 using a standard "frisbee" grip RHBH. I improved to about 250' consistently after I changed to a power grip & 150g Champion Valkyrie with 290' being my best legit measured throw by November of 2007 on flat ground with no wind.

This year I pretty much picked up where I left off last fall. I stagnated around a consistent 270' until around August when I made some minor adjustments to my technique. I really thought that I was making some improvements but didn't get out onto a nice open field to measure until last week when I just got out on a football field. I was very pleased. I was up around 290' on about 2/3 of my throws and over 300' on the rest with my longest being 327' within the confines of the playing field.

It was awesome for me to be able to throw from end zone to end zone consistently when last year I never came close to this when on a football field. I'm not getting any younger, so it must be technique. I've messed with several different discs and my 150' Champ Valkyries by far serve me best right now for both distance, and expecially accuracy.

And if I'm not mistaken, this should be post #100 so I had to make it a long one!!!! :D

my longest drives I measure by throwing on a course with low traffic and compare the disc relative to the basket, how far past it the disc has gone, and using a 350' hole I think Im able to get a relatively decent estimation of where Ive ended up. I dont think my driving is gonna get any longer anytime soon, but hopefully my accuracy gets better. My brother plays a lot, and has been playing in tournaments for a couple years. Hes significantly better than I am, and I just want to be able to compete with him, at least just a little bit when we playe together in a couple weeks when he visits

How much does that laser pointer cost? Where can you buy them? And what's the margin of error to a point on flat ground say, 300 feet away?

By the way, I measured (estimated) my drives using distances between landmarks on a field with Google Earth.

Prices here... Google Products

I've been playing about four y6ears. Summer before last I got to the point where I could hit 300 most of the time. But I hurt my knee and missed a month. And then it was winter time. Then his past summer I mainly played instead of practicing drives. So I'm down to the 250-270 range with most of my throws. Occasionally I still hit 300. Hopefully next summer I can get back to doing it on a regular basis.

Prices here... Google Products
You can find it on ebay for under $240 these days. I bought mine at Gander Mountain.

The Monarch 800 error is +/- 1 yard and has accuracy reading of 0.5 yards.

I chose the Nikon for its reputation for quality and ease of use. No messing with a bunch of modes like on other brands; just priority mode and distance mode.

Measuring to flat ground is possible but not recommended as your accuracy will vary with how steady you can hold the laser. You're better off doing something like this: throw first, then walk to the disc and shoot a measurement back to the tee sign, or landmark such as your DG bag left where you threw from.

ERic

Are you honestly surprised? ;)

I will warn people that distances listed on tee signs vary anywhere from "sorta close" to "way off." A lot of people think they know how far they're throwing until they get out to a football field.

It's also worth noting that torquing over a super fast driver 350' and throwing a slow fairway driver 350' are really different throws.

i have thrown an eagle past the pin on a 300'+ hole, and i know i usually throw my longer drivers farther than that, kinda backs up my other paced out numbers...not exact...but should be close....but i am absolutely not going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a range finder to be more accurate...

We have a football field between holes 12 and 13 at my home course. I can consistently throw end zone to end zone (360). There is a fence about 15 feet past that about 6 feet high. I have cleared it once and hit a crap load of times. Remember when you are playing the signs and distances aren't always accurate so take the time to look at the hole. Been playing so long I should be a lot better (6 years.)

2 and a bit years, and depressingly i get to play about once a week. This basically means i get to play between 50-80 shots a week!! and thats about 20 drives!! So im stuck at 320 (i have a post about this) But thanks to everyone of the living legends that are on this forum, im getting a little further. But the course i play is quite hilly, so my longer distances that i have throw are probably not so long on flat ground. Ive heard that the 'average' drive is around 330. no matter how long you've been playing.