• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for beating the funk

Find a league or a tournament.

Nothing makes me focus on every shot quite like trying to win some cash or prizes.

So if jtreadwell asks you to play a round, tell him to go eat a bowl of f*ck.

:D

Lol! Wanna play a round? I may have misspoken a bit there. To get out of a funk I like to play a game with someone that doesn't incite me to compete. I usually have to play with a friend that knows I can kick their ass on the course because the ones that are closer to my level are prone to talking sh!t and then it's ON. I did play a great round yesterday with a guy in tag league that was clearly better than me but didn't incite competition. He explained that the game was about calming down and having fun in a way that made more sense than before and I ended up tying my second best round on that course with a 56 (he shot a 54 and was bummed about it:eek:)

Take a break and play some other sport. Not a huge amount of time off but a few days, maybe a week. After the break just go play a relaxed round and don't even think about form, just throw natural. Works for ball golf for me for sure. Sometimes I just need to get out of my own head and let nature take over a bit.

Lol! Wanna play a round? I may have misspoken a bit there. To get out of a funk I like to play a game with someone that doesn't incite me to compete. I usually have to play with a friend that knows I can kick their ass on the course because the ones that are closer to my level are prone to talking sh!t and then it's ON. I did play a great round yesterday with a guy in tag league that was clearly better than me but didn't incite competition. He explained that the game was about calming down and having fun in a way that made more sense than before and I ended up tying my second best round on that course with a 56 (he shot a 54 and was bummed about it:eek:)

If you provide the transportation, I'll provide the confidence boost for you.

One of the ways that I get out of a funk is by breaking my bag down and only throwing a control distance driver, fairway driver, mid, and a putter. (please remember I have discs in different stages and plastics) Ex.-Champ Glo Orc, Champ Glo Gazelle, Ti Wasp, and putter. (my slightly overstable section)

I then repeat with the next discs in my bag. Ex.-SB Orc, Champ Glo Gazelle, Z-Buzzz, and putter. (stable line-up)

I repeat another day with Ex.- Star Valk, River, Fuse, and putter (understable line up)

This ensures that I know very well all the discs in my bag and the different lines that I can throw them on. It also makes sure that I find one that I start feeling confident with and it becomes my goto for a while. (currently my stable line) It also ensure that I use the same thing to putt so my putting stays consistant.

3 Days, 3 different line ups, and by Thursday (assuming you start Monday) you have a couple of days to practice putting it all together. Great for tourney time.

Once I make the good shot, I usually play the worst lie or the harder follow-up shot in order to work on longer and/or more difficult approach or recovery scenarios.

this is similar to me, except for usually my worst lie is my first shot anyways.

I agree, usually when i play with a friend, my round suffers, if he brings one of his friends along i dont do as bad. however when i play with someone completely new (or that i know but have only played with them once or twice or not at all) my round quickly becomes the high point of my day then. strangely this is the opposite for my friend who hates pressure and is especially nervous around the local pros (who i try to play rounds with as much as i can)

One thing that helps keep me out of the funk is to throw Putter/Mid rounds.

I do this everytime I go to the course.I'll play a Normal round and then I'll play my Putter/Mid Round.

This helps out with the mental aspect of the game as well.When using drivers you are focusing,but sometimes you get in that grip and rip mentalilty and lose a bit of focus.With Putters and Mids(for me) I'm focusing the full round.I'm thinking, will I OAT this drive,Will I have enough height for this Putter drive and so on.

I would highly recommend doing this as it helps with your game and focus.

So, after a bunch of playing and a tournament, I realize that what is really hurting my game is probably focus (not the putter). I stay focused for a while but as soon as it begins to falter, obviously so does my game. Does anyone have any advise for maintaining focus for longer play?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you had any advise ( or looking for what works for you personally) on how to get out of a rut. There may already be threads on this I am sure, so feel free to rube me. Anyways, I have been working on different throws and when I am in the practice field, I feel great. My problem is most likely a focus issue. I seem to have hit a plateau and do not really know how to escape this orbit of lower-than-average (for me) playing. I have played putter rounds and honestly I don't know why I throw anything over a speed seven driver during a round but I digress.

All my rambling aside, how have you taken that "next step"?

I hit a major funk before flyboy. I was not not seeing much improvement, not really wanting to head out to courses. But a trip to a destination course with a group of fun people brought me out of it.

a road trip with a few good friends can do it.

Above me is a smart post. Anytime im in a funk and go out of town and play a course I dont play to often I start shooting better, I always go to community park

I'm going through this same thing myself. I can remember how good I was playing over a year ago and now I'm playing like I did when I first started five years ago. I got a full time job so haven't been putting in the same amount of time as I did before. My timing is completely off from my feet all the way up to my grip. Had one of my worst rounds ever today in the handicap. Every drive was either way short and to the right (I'm a lefty) or grip locked into a tree. I was getting embarrassed getting beat by people I would school on a normal basis. I'm trying my best to pinpoint exactly where I'm going wrong and I think I'm making it worse by over thinking everything. It's really frustrating and making we want to step back for a while.

Well, yesterday I threw my personal best on my home course, easily a 1000+ rated round. I even had a bogey and three missed birdie putts. I was on fire. I went out to league play today, not expecting to shoot quite as well, but I was a good 10 strokes from what I shot yesterday. This is what I am talking about. Maybe I am thinking too much, maybe I am not thinking enough, or maybe I am not relaxed enough. I realize I judge myself on my best rated round and that is a problem (I don't compare myself to my average, just my top twenty percent basically).

Well, yesterday I threw my personal best on my home course, easily a 1000+ rated round. I even had a bogey and three missed birdie putts. I was on fire. I went out to league play today, not expecting to shoot quite as well, but I was a good 10 strokes from what I shot yesterday. This is what I am talking about. Maybe I am thinking too much, maybe I am not thinking enough, or maybe I am not relaxed enough. I realize I judge myself on my best rated round and that is a problem (I don't compare myself to my average, just my top twenty percent basically).

My number one motto is "Focus on your next shot". Not what is to come or what you just did. Keep moving forward. When ever I'm on a course and shoot a double or even a triple bogey, I only think of the next drive. I recover. I've had rounds where I shot under with some double bogeys, so it is possible.

Remember, if it was easy, you wouldn't keep playing.

It will ALWAYS be different mentally when every shot counts. Everyone always plays better casually. I started taking my casual play more seriously lately, making sure I stay focused through the whole round and whatnot. It has tremendously helped my game. I won my first tourney this year (Intermediate) then took 4th and 2nd in my next two tourneys in Advanced and winning 2-3 minis a week. I'm in the process of coming out of the funk you're in. Just keep plugging away and take your practice/casual rounds seriously. That's what it takes to be a true competitor...PRACTICE HOW YOU PLAY.

Try switching to all mids! For me personally, my issue is mid range. So a few rounds of just mids helps my game a ton!

also a second suggestion... play in a league if you aren't already. :thmbup:

The competition will snap you out of it. typically i play better around better players. not to mention you will be supporting disc golf!

I play in league action when I can, though it is not very regular.It is tons of fun though. A good solid warm up usually helps, but it is not always a sure thing