• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for Improving Your All Around Game.

Donovan

Longview Disc Golf Association (TX)
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Here is one I really like.

When putting, I like to pick a particular link in the chains and aim at hitting the middle of the disc on that link...no matter how far away the putt is. You should pick the tiniest object you can pinpoint on with all your disc golf shots. This works wonders for all your shots.

When I used to teach ball golf, I would tell them this. Don't aim at the middle of the fairway. That target is too big and general. If you miss left or right of it you could be way out in the rough on either side.

Instead pick a very specific object. Don't choose that tree way out there or even say the branch of the tree, but pick a particular leaf or knot on the tree to aim at. Now when you miss left or right of that, you will still be close to where you really want to be.

One more note, if you can't imagine yourself hitting that object or landing directly in the path of that object, then you are not ready to throw it yet. ;)

In addition to picking the object to hit, you should also be visualizing the line you are going to take. Before you throw, just push everything else out of your mind except the path and the object. The entire flight of the disc should already have taken place in your mind before you even release the disc.

In addition to picking the object to hit, you should also be visualizing the line you are going to take. Before you throw, just push everything else out of your mind except the path and the object. The entire flight of the disc should already have taken place in your mind before you even release the disc.

Excellant bro, I like the way you worded that.

don't do that at all I can honestly say I can walk up to a fifty foot put without thinking twice shoot and make 8 out of 10 just look where the basket is and shoot to much thinking can mess with your head

You are 80% at 50 feet? Have you though about touring?

I jsut picked up some black socks and it deffinately made a world of difference. However, my white legs look even more white due to the contrast. = ) Scary thanks to the NW weather up here in Seattle.

Be smooth. Whenever I throw a disc away it's because I tried to throw it too hard or rush the delivery. Being very deliberate and using your whole body to deliver the disc rather than just your arm makes for much better disc golf shots.

One way I practice this is going through the motion of throwing the shot I have selected for the hole without releasing the disc (usually at about 70% speed). If it felt good I know I am ready. If not, I think about the shot a little more and see why the practice throw felt wrong. Once I have it right, it makes it much easier to use smooth, deliberate body motions to make a shot.

I also like to putt at a particular chain link. I think that's really important.

don't do that at all I can honestly say I can walk up to a fifty foot put without thinking twice shoot and make 8 out of 10 just look where the basket is and shoot to much thinking can mess with your head

If you can make so many 50 footers you should have the experience to know that everyone approaches putting differently and there is no "right" way to play the mental game, I've watched great putters who say they visualize a window part way through the throw that they aim for, some go for the single chain view, personally, I'm with you, I try not to think about much, I'm just saying it might not be the best way for everyone.

I like to take my time and approach putting like Tiger Woods does, patiently. He will be about to hit the putt and then step back for another 10 seconds just to concentrate more. Taking my time has improved my putting to no end. Of course, I can't hit 80% of 50 footers. Not even in my backyard.

Last edited:
i feel consistent routines help a lot. when i played basketball my foul shot routine was very precise and it helped tremendously. even now when im not shooting the ball well i got to the foul line, go through my routine a few times because it brings me back to my mechanics. i have recently taken the same approach to putting. i have started using a little routine. step up, plant my left foot behind the disc, pick a link, go through the motion of putting with no release, deep breath, recenter on my link and putt. it sounds tedious but it helps.

I'm down with visualizing the object and flight path. I also imagine 1 or 2 invisible hoops suspended in the air at intermediate distances from my object/target. I intend the disc to fly thru the first hoop, gain elevation, scoot thru the second hoop, start a long glide, then slow...fade and drop. I throw a pretty flat anhyzer that comes out of my hand with a lot of spin...I just have to be mindful to not overpower the disc...cuz it will just fly right thru the fade point and keep going and going.

I watch my disc all the way from reach back to follow through. I position my body so that once I take my first step the direction of my throw is set. I keep my eye on the disc to make sure I am releasing it at the angle I wanted to. I started doing it to try and correct a problem I was having and I started throwing more accurately so I never stopped.

The best way to improve your all around game is to practice all three parts of the game seperately.

For distance driving, I go to a big open area and just throw for distance. I step off 300' and put a bag on each end and just throw all my drivers back and forth over and over. Every time I do this my distance and accuracy improves.

For approaching I go to a park with some approach discs and just walk around and aim at random targets at varying distances.

For putting I go to a basket and put a marker at 20' I throw over and over until I can make 10 for 10 at 20'. I don't practice any closer because if you can make 100% from 20', anything closer is easy. I don't practice any outside 20' because I have very few approaches land outside 20' anyway.

My favorite way to improve your game...

Play with someone who competes with you... It brings up your game as well as theirs!!!

Josh

Play different styles of courses. Don't just play in the woods, or just open field styles of courses, hit the long and short courses too. Sometimes those little pitch and putt courses can expose weak spots in your game you wouldn't really know you had. So go out there and try various courses with various conditions and various weather.

Quite often when I'm out playing a recreational round of golf I'll take a second practice throw just after missing a putt. There is usually not much thought or effort put into the second throw. I'll just be upset that I missed the first and throw a second because I know I should be able to make it. It's insane how accurate that second shot is for me.

I have the same problem and get aggrivated at how often the one i didn't think about goes in.

Picking the chain length for me also works, but I even go a step beyond that, if I'm about 20-25' out I focus on a chain at right about the middle, if I'm beyond that I focus on the link just above that, and the further back you go, the higher the link. Just depends on your range.
I also pick out specific objects when I tee off. On my home course, each and every hole when I step up, I have a specific smaller target I focus on. I don't always make my line, but when I do, it's parked on the shorter holes, and in a great postion for my upshot on the longer ones

I am just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if anyone ever focuses on a link on the back side of the basket? So when you are putting you actually see through the front row of chains and pole to the back side. (like when breaking a board in karate) I have no idea why this would help or not, but just curious if anyone has done this or still does?

I would think if you are someone who hits the basket often, this might help you aim a little bit further in and get yout to throw just that little bit harder.

Donovan;9171 I wonder if anyone ever focuses on a link on the back side of the basket? So when you are putting you actually see through the front row of chains and pole to the back side. [/QUOTE said:
Yes, I do that sometimes or even focus on the shadow of a link on the pole. I also kneel when faced with steep downhill putts, especially if it's into the wind...