• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for Improving Your All Around Game.

I am just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if anyone ever focuses on a link on the back side of the basket? So when you are putting you actually see through the front row of chains and pole to the back side. (like when breaking a board in karate) I have no idea why this would help or not, but just curious if anyone has done this or still does?

I would think if you are someone who hits the basket often, this might help you aim a little bit further in and get yout to throw just that little bit harder.

I don't currently do that but since I leave many of my long puts just short of the basket that might help me put a little more on the disc.

I like to throw a second putt as well, and the good Lord knows I almost always make the ones that don't count. To me this indicates a psychological barrier. I usually throw bad drives when I'm tense, and I usually miss putts when I fail to focus. I try to find a way to stay relaxed and focused at the same time. Confidence is key, just as in ball golf, but it takes mental preparation (or the ability to fool yourself) to build it.

I also like to throw a second approach shot. Because I'm more willing to experiment with a throw that doesn't count, it sometimes opens my eyes to a new line on a familiar hole, or a new technique altogether. I haven't thrown a doubles round by myself, but if you've got an open course with nobody waiting behind you, why not? It's only going to give you more practice.

Yes i do the same. I will play two rounds simultaniously. I think i helps alot. plus usually I will throw understable discs for one line and overstable line on the second disc just to see which line works better or even to try new lines. It help a great deal. I also think I will try to focus on a backside link wheni putt because i tend to hit the rim of the basket quite a bit. My putts suck. I think it;s cus im a forehand player and my backhand sucks cus i only use it for putting. but im gettin better at it. It's a struggle. lol 8^)>

Interesting. Throwing a second shot also allows you to compensate for your first throw's mistakes (even if it is sub-conscience). I wonder if you threw your first shot mentally and then allowed you second shot to be for real, if this would not have the same effect? I would be willing to bet it does! ;)

Another tip is if you are having issues with your short game, and you play a course that offers short tees, play a round from them. My friend and I play my home course on Sundays and we play a round from the long, then play the short. This has improved our short game tremendously. Also watching each other taught us some different looks at the basket, Lines that neither of us saw before.

Interesting. Throwing a second shot also allows you to compensate for your first throw's mistakes (even if it is sub-conscience). I wonder if you threw your first shot mentally and then allowed you second shot to be for real, if this would not have the same effect? I would be willing to bet it does! ;)
Many times I pretend that my putt is my second putt. It does seem to help quite a bit.

yeah

Yeah dude i know what you mean..........whenever i thorw a second shot it is always better so now i h=just say to myself that i already took a shot

Usually if I throw a second putt it has a much higher success rate, probably as you said, because of compensating for the conditions or mistakes on the first one.

I briefly tried that trick of mentally missing the first putt and then pretending the real putt was a second throw. Didn't work for me. I also didn't like the idea of visualizing a missed putt. I'd rather stay positive and tell myself: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it I'm gonna sink this putt!"

ERic

Usually if I throw a second putt it has a much higher success rate, probably as you said, because of compensating for the conditions or mistakes on the first one.

I briefly tried that trick of mentally missing the first putt and then pretending the real putt was a second throw. Didn't work for me. I also didn't like the idea of visualizing a missed putt. I'd rather stay positive and tell myself: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it I'm gonna sink this putt!"

ERic

LOL…Well, this is as true as it gets! Somewhere in a thread in this vast database I swore I wrote about seeing your shot in your head until you see it going just like you wanted and then step up and throw.

I am laughing, because after I posted this latest comment, I was sitting there thinking, I wonder if someone will read it as to throw after one visualization regardless how it went. WELL, I guess that happened. BAH, on me! If I find that original (obviously much better post) when I find it. :eek:

I felt like bringing this thread back from the dead might be a good thing.

I do focus on a single chain when putting, but the biggest thing is really feeling the shot. I know it is going to be a good day when I can literally feel my disc and where it is going to go. So I will start by thinking about my shot and when I have made that decision I am going to spend as much time as I can feeling the shot before I throw it. No tips on how to do this what what the description of feeling really is, but you will know when it happens.

I felt like bringing this thread back from the dead might be a good thing.

I do focus on a single chain when putting, but the biggest thing is really feeling the shot. I know it is going to be a good day when I can literally feel my disc and where it is going to go. So I will start by thinking about my shot and when I have made that decision I am going to spend as much time as I can feeling the shot before I throw it. No tips on how to do this what what the description of feeling really is, but you will know when it happens.

Nice... it is definately a feeling... see your line... feel it (it's almost like a knowing... but not an overconfidence) It seems as if you have to get out off your head while you are doing the physical part. If I can successfully do this, I usually don't miss... maybe a spray out of the chains or metal for anything 100 feet in. As far as the drives go, same concept (aces are a magical thing.......)

EXACTLY!!!! I think you let go of the fear of missing the shot b/c it doesn't "count". It is hard to remember that life is about the journey NOT the destination. To be or not to be..... that trully is THE question (of free will).

I do know that if I made "every shot" it might start to get boring after a while.....how long? I don't know.... I know that there is a homie in Ft. Worth who has been playing for so long and is so good that he I think maybe intentionally misses shots to keep it interesting. I love to play when it is windy, new courses, making up "safari holes", throwing new discs..... anything that is a new challenge.

I'm down with visualizing the object and flight path. I also imagine 1 or 2 invisible hoops suspended in the air at intermediate distances from my object/target. I intend the disc to fly thru the first hoop, gain elevation, scoot thru the second hoop, start a long glide, then slow...fade and drop. I throw a pretty flat anhyzer that comes out of my hand with a lot of spin...I just have to be mindful to not overpower the disc...cuz it will just fly right thru the fade point and keep going and going.

WOW! That is a real nice visualization technique. I gotta try that....It IS super hard to remember not to try to throw it too hard on those long drives and just poopin' trust yourself. It is all about timing and flow (once you've thrown enough......

I like to take my time and approach putting like Tiger Woods does, patiently. He will be about to hit the putt and then step back for another 10 seconds just to concentrate more. Taking my time has improved my putting to no end. Of course, I can't hit 80% of 50 footers. Not even in my backyard.

Patience is the key.......if you rush yourself you'll miss most of the time.... I know I miss if I throw unintentionally..... or feel like I'm "holding someone up"..... silly..... just imagine..... course rule #1 don't make people feel rushed..... aces for everyone!!! I've seen some amazing stuff like this in Austin @ SeaRight.... of course not ace after ace... once someone opens up the portal.... it's easier for the next person to find their own portal to the basket.

don't do that at all I can honestly say I can walk up to a fifty foot put without thinking twice shoot and make 8 out of 10 just look where the basket is and shoot to much thinking can mess with your head

too much thinking is definately detrimental..... no thought during the physical part of your shot..... trust the goodness in yourself..... postive feelings during your shot I've realized is very beneficial..... you might yank it (not hit your line) but it'll end up close if not hit a tree and go in. It is better to be lucky than to be "good"

ERic

I really like your quote 'bro. Definately keep it positive. Trying to mentally miss... seems like that would be counterproductive.... that mind body connection will be a little off.... but there is always the next shot... plus it is training your musles the wrong technique (ie. muscle memory)

I really like your quote 'bro. Definately keep it positive. Trying to mentally miss... seems like that would be counterproductive.... that mind body connection will be a little off.... but there is always the next shot... plus it is training your musles the wrong technique (ie. muscle memory)

Are you Matthew McConaughey?

don't do that at all I can honestly say I can walk up to a fifty foot put without thinking twice shoot and make 8 out of 10 just look where the basket is and shoot to much thinking can mess with your head

yep - me too. when i'm sleeping! 80% at 50'? you're obviously on the top of the earnings list this year and previous years. that's insane :eek:

I am a very aggressive putter. I never focus on just a link - I focus on the pole in the middle. I try to throw all putts on a straight line - no hyzer or anhyzer. I also use the same stance and throwing motion regardless of distance. I can be pretty deadly out to 30 feet. After that, well, let's stay I am still working on distance.

Latest posts