• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tips for the girlfriend

Definitely play catch. We were playing catch with a mako but yesterday we decided to take the r-pro XD out and it paid off huge dividends. The yard is 130' downhill with probably a good 10'-15' difference from top to bottom. I was on top yesterday (oh yeah!) because I was at the bottom of the hill last time.

Get a Gopher, Bill. Great catch disc.

Only give her pointers if she asks. If she's already frustrated, it's not the time to offer unsolicited advice (if you want to keep her around and playing).

Gents, this goes beyond disc golf, if you haven't figured it out already...

Gents, this goes beyond disc golf, if you haven't figured it out already...

I would agree that this is a problem that transcends disc golf. As most have implied- don't offer advice, wait to be asked for it. I make this mistake too often...

dont give too many tips. Thats the big thing ive learned playing with my wife. She gets so pissed if I say something on every hole.

the other piece of advice is bring a 3rd party to give her tips. Amazingly some wemon will be fine getting tips from another person as long as its not you.

I dont know why this is the case but its true.

glgl

Here's one thing I did that helped my wife and daughter:

A lot of times people that throw too high are starting their backswing low. I had the girls put the disc in the reachback position and grabbed onto it. I moved it up near the shoulder. While still holding onto it I had them slowly pull the disc across the chest so they could feel what good form is like. After doing this a couple of times they don't have the n00b hyzer problem anymore.

I took my wife to pitch and putt first, then "pretty" courses.
Once she got her confidence up I took her to more challenging courses and gave her unlimited "do overs".
If she gets frustrated you may never see her whip plastic again (unless it says Visa)

The hardest part for me was getting my gf to think the game might be interesting to try. She came over to hang out last night and found me in my backyard putting. She asked if she could give it a try so I handed her one of my wizards. She backed up to about 20 feet and just started hitting putt after putt (at least 60% for almost 50 throws). It was kind of crazy to watch. Long story short now she wants to give it a try.

I'm amused -- reading the initial post, I thought it could have been my husband posting, except that I don't have good power. The frustration can be a huge problem. After almost a year of playing, and going out almost every day last summer, there are days when I wonder why I even keep going. But then again, I keep thinking that I don't want to be a quitter, and so I keep on trying. I also realize that it's good exercise, and I like being outside. My husband and I logged over 100 miles last year (he keeps up his scorebook), and I realized the health benefits. So, some things I've learned:

- there are days when it's best not to keep score. If it's one of those days, then just don't do it.

- Drop down to 150s, and DX plastic. I found I can't throw any other plastics at all. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

- Don't play during inclement weather. I have some heavier discs to try in the wind, but I've learned that they'll go significantly less distance. During bad weather, it might be better for her just to walk with you.

- Look for the small wins. I'm happy when my distance increases by 10 ft.

- Play easier courses. I've played some gold level courses, but I'd get very frustrated if I didn't regularly play shorter courses.

- If you're keeping score, think about par differently. Rather than go for a 3 on each hole, which was almost impossible, I started out aiming for double par, or 6 per hole. For me, it was an achievable goal, and I felt less frustration. Then move that goal down as you get better.

- Try one change at a time. I found I was doing lots of things wrong, and when I tried to fix more than one thing at a time, I felt more frustrated.

- Recognize strengths. For example, I have terrible distance, and never expect to get beyond mediocre. However, I have good accuracy. Look for the positives.

- Don't expect instant results. It's taken almost a year, and I just figured out something new I can work on. It's not always easy figuring out why you're not doing as well as you'd like, or think you're capable of.

Good luck!

Lol. I still do that!

But, Mj if you'd like some specifics to get her going, get some specific info for us to relate back.
I do think the basics were covered pretty well, just following up. If there are any specific questions she has you can't seem to answer, that's what we're here for.

- If you're keeping score, think about par differently. Rather than go for a 3 on each hole, which was almost impossible, I started out aiming for double par, or 6 per hole. For me, it was an achievable goal, and I felt less frustration. Then move that goal down as you get better.
Good luck!

I'd like to reinforce this one. I play almost strictly with my gf. I'm happy w/par but she rarely gets them. I started telling her women's par was 4 & men's par was 3. Much like ball golf, where women always tee up closer then men. End result she is much more confident and getting better every day. She calls 3's birdie (course we play is all par 3). She even nailed a 50' shot the other day!

This is good if you are just looking for a disc companion but if she has any aspirations to be competitive I would suggest not pandering too much.

Here are just a few of the things I've done to help my wife become a great player:

1. Give a play-by-play account of her every action in a nasal Howard Cosell voice.
2. Wear a cape that says "Magnificent One."
3. Begin all your sentences with "ooh la la!"
4. Every time she does not have a perfectly placed throw say "What the hell was that?"
5. Repeat everything she says, as a question.
6. Every time she hit's a tree say "That's what happens when you don't listen.".
7. Hand pick all her discs, making sure they are all understable, light weight, and girly colors.
8. During her backswing say "let's try not to screw this one up, shall we.".
9. When she has a great round make sure to let her know you still beat her by 15 strokes.
10.Help teach her girlfriends proper form by getting behind them on the teepad and reaching around them with both hands.

Here are just a few of the things I've done to help my wife become a great player:

1. Give a play-by-play account of her every action in a nasal Howard Cosell voice.
2. Wear a cape that says "Magnificent One."
3. Begin all your sentences with "ooh la la!"
4. Every time she does not have a perfectly placed throw say "What the hell was that?"
5. Repeat everything she says, as a question.
6. Every time she hit's a tree say "That's what happens when you don't listen.".
7. Hand pick all her discs, making sure they are all understable, light weight, and girly colors.
8. During her backswing say "let's try not to screw this one up, shall we.".
9. When she has a great round make sure to let her know you still beat her by 15 strokes.
10.Help teach her girlfriends proper form by getting behind them on the teepad and reaching around them with both hands.
*writing all this down*

I see a best seller in the works...

attachment.php

Attachments

• howtopickupgirlscover.jpg
    howtopickupgirlscover.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 32