• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL as replacement for seasoned Teebird?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned a Phenom yet in here. They Icons are really solid hyzer-flip to straight fliers. They are about to release the Pinnacle ones, but the Icons are right about what you are describing. As a bonus, they have more glide than almost any disc I have ever thrown.

WHERE did you get a Star TL3?!?!?! I'd love to get one of those.... :popcorn:

It MAY be GStar. I'll check when I get home. It's whatever the TL3 proto was run in, and to be honest I wasn't much of a fan, so it only got 20-30 throws outside of field work. For some reason I just never developed trust in it on the course.
Either way, it takes a while to season up a fresh premium TeeBird, which is the bane of every TeeBird thrower's existence. Craves are a decent alternative right out of the box, even if they're not as long.

It sounds like you've put in more work with the Crave than I have, so I'm not questioning your statement that it's a shorter disc, but I really didn't notice any loss of distance. Thinking through it, I wonder if I don't unconsciously ease up when I throw my Teebirds, whereas I'm not afraid to throw the Crave full throttle.

It MAY be GStar. I'll check when I get home. It's whatever the TL3 proto was run in, and to be honest I wasn't much of a fan, so it only got 20-30 throws outside of field work. For some reason I just never developed trust in it on the course..

Yes, probably a GStar. Darn, I've been hoping for a Star TL3 run. Maybe the River Pro will fill that need...

OP here...soo I've got in some throws with the discs I ordered:

GStar Teebird - Pretty much just held a pure hyzer and didn't flip up at all.

Star TL, Champ TL - these didn't like to hyzer-flip much if at all, and when they did, it was not really to a flat/straight path. It was a hyzer-flip to a slightly less hyzer, and a healthy fading finish. Even on an anhyzer line I didn't like how they faded back left at the end. It did good flex shots on different lines, but that's not what I'm after. I want something that will finish straighter.

Stiff Vamp - I liked this one the most, but it was actually a little too understable. On a 30 degree hyzer it would flatten out, turn over a bit, and drift right for the latter half of its flight. At 45 degrees it would flip up to flat and fly super-straight with practically no fade. It was a little too understable for a true anhyzer line as it never wants to flatten out and holds the anhyzer all the way to the ground where it lands on edge.

So it appears I'm looking for something between the TL and the Vamp- something that I can throw on a 15-30 degree hyzer and it will fly like the Vamp did on a 45 degree hyzer. And I'd like to be able to throw a fairly high anhyzer (maybe not quite sky-anny) and have it flatten out at the end for extra distance instead of fading back left like the TL's or not pulling out of the anhyzer at all and landing on edge like the Vamp

OP here...soo I've got in some throws with the discs I ordered:

GStar Teebird - Pretty much just held a pure hyzer and didn't flip up at all.

Star TL, Champ TL - these didn't like to hyzer-flip much if at all, and when they did, it was not really to a flat/straight path. It was a hyzer-flip to a slightly less hyzer, and a healthy fading finish. Even on an anhyzer line I didn't like how they faded back left at the end. It did good flex shots on different lines, but that's not what I'm after. I want something that will finish straighter.

Stiff Vamp - I liked this one the most, but it was actually a little too understable. On a 30 degree hyzer it would flatten out, turn over a bit, and drift right for the latter half of its flight. At 45 degrees it would flip up to flat and fly super-straight with practically no fade. It was a little too understable for a true anhyzer line as it never wants to flatten out and holds the anhyzer all the way to the ground where it lands on edge.

So it appears I'm looking for something between the TL and the Vamp- something that I can throw on a 15-30 degree hyzer and it will fly like the Vamp did on a 45 degree hyzer. And I'd like to be able to throw a fairly high anhyzer (maybe not quite sky-anny) and have it flatten out at the end for extra distance instead of fading back left like the TL's or not pulling out of the anhyzer at all and landing on edge like the Vamp

Work with the Star TL some... It'll season in over time, and IMHO will become much more what you want.

TL's can be really stable when new. With Innova's inconsistency from run to run, you can easily find TL's that are just as stable as a new Teebird. You can also beat in a Teebird to fly more understable than a TL, so be warned.

My ideal bag has:
-Beefy Champ Teebird (close to Banshee stability)
-Swirly KJ Nybo Teebird (slightly overstable)
-Slightly seasoned Star TL (flips up to flat; holds any line)
-Seasoned Star TL (flips right and doesn't come back)

If the course doesn't require many fairway shots, I can get away with carrying just one slightly seasoned Star TL and rely on a PD/Felon for the stable/overstable duties.

I'll also add that I haven't felt a new run of TL in 3+ years that felt good in my hands. It seems like they're all coming out really domey. Look for some flatter Star runs and older CFR/Glow Champ runs. Those are great

Last edited:
If none of those work which im sure one will, another option is a pinnacle patriot. this is what ii used while breaking in teebirds for that kind of shot..worked well i still bag it incase i lose my seasond bird or tl

I recently got an Icon Patriot. Great plastic, disc flies well, also. Mine is starting to season in to a nice understability.

Throw the gstar teebird at some trees. Voila. You'll have your old teebird back in no time. Gstar beats up pretty easily.

Otherwise work in the tl.

DX Teebird will fly as you described after a couple rounds.

It just won't stay that way too long, though my average DXTB lasts me about 6-8 months before its lost its "Teebirdness"

I just wanted to thank those that recommended the G-Star Teebird. I picked one up and have been using it for a couple years. It's such a great disc and not too over stable. After 3 years it has beaten into the same stability it took my Champion to beat into after 10 years. I've been throwing a Teebird since I started playing disc golf and won't stop any time soon.

I don't have much experience with seasoned premium teebs, but I can say that a freshish Star TL flies very, very similar to a 6/10 DX Teebird - that is to say, very straight. Will turnover if you put some stink on it. Crazy glide!

Latest posts