• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tl problems :(

mattpusa

Par Member
So I have a teebird and i can rip it a good 300 ft on a good throw with little fade to left except at the very end. So i decide to go get a tl since its supposed to be straighter than a teebird and i could use it for tight wooded shots. I ended up gettin the tl plus mold 167gram and I find it more overstable than my teebird. I dont know if its maybe beacause my teebird is a 150 gram? But even at that my leopard is 166 and i can get it to s curve. Do yall think its the plus mold that makes it more overstable or is it just me?

champ TL+'s are more stable than regular TL's for sure. If you like the leopard and the 150g teebird, don't give up on the TL, just find a 165-170g flat star. they are money.

Aubin nailed it. + molds seem to be more stable & champ is usually more stable than star. 150 teebirds are pretty straight, a low 160's Star TL might be your answer

yes thats the answer i was hoping for. just get a star! yeah i like throwing the fairway drivers now since i am just starting off (been playing 6 monthes) i am getting to were i can rip them and turn them over even my teebird sometimes. I just got a valk and can't throw that too well just yet but if i throw it right it goes.

yeah i was pretty bummed when i got that tl was expecting it to go alot straighter but in reality it was more overstable than my tee bird so im looking for something straight

Give that tl a little time to break in and it will get straighter and turn more as it wears.

The TL is naturally more understable than the Teebird but if it has flash n the bottom it starts out more overstable than the TB. Removing the flash makes the TL much more unserstable or if you let it break in naturally it will break in more and much faster than the TB. And the TL is straighter than the FD but shorter because of the great glide and higher speed of the FD. And i still don't like the FD and the TL has been dropped in favor of straighter discs=Leopard and River.

Without the flash it is ok for annies bet there are easier discs to keep annied to the ground like Leos and Rivers.

Pro TLs bomb also, especially if you go a couple grams lighter than what you normally throw.

When I was throwing well, TLs were much longer than Teebirds and not that much shorter than my distance drivers as long as they had enough height.

Tl even in Star belongs to the sneaky long camp when s-curved like the PD and the Beast. Although the Beast is super long even when straight for the speed rating. Like the River and the Sidewinder.

JR said:
Without the flash it is ok for annies bet there are easier discs to keep annied to the ground like Leos and Rivers.

For that I use my XL. I can get the TL to fade back which comes in handy with weaving through trees. I haven't had as much luck with a big D S curve like I do my TeeDevil.

Teedevil is 6 speed ratings faster :) Roadrunner is pretty straight too but for non annied throws it is a little fussier and less wind resistant than the Beast. I had the RR as my main driver before they started to make the Beasts more HSS than the new mold.

I dont have a ton of experience yet with the RR's but so far so good the last couple months playing 5 days a week. I have a 162 and 170 champ. The lighter one glides and turns a tad more. I do have a Beast to mess with as well and it is a great disc. Champ 172. While it is pretty straight it does fade out more the the RR's if you are looking for straight finishes in the woods. Thats at my 350 max power level. Throwing a RR fairly dead nuts straight 300. Not much turn and very straight finishes. Very happy so far. ;)

RRs get touchier at longer distances and with winds than the Beasts so for 380' plateau and up the Beast starts to compete and perform better because at 380-410' at least it matches the fade of the RRs i have. I'm not surprised by the RR fading less at 350' because it is a slower disc too.

JR said:
RRs get touchier at longer distances and with winds than the Beasts so for 380' plateau and up the Beast starts to compete and perform better because at 380-410' at least it matches the fade of the RRs i have. I'm not surprised by the RR fading less at 350' because it is a slower disc too.

I guess my point was for the OP really, if he's throwing his teebird 300 I dont think a beast would be his best bet. A Champ Roadrunner or Leopard would work better in the woods. Generally the wider the wing the more turn and fade which Im sure you know. Maybe a pro Beast for wide open shots would be a good step up for him though. :)

Latest posts