• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To smoke, or not to smoke, that is the question

I smoke and smoke around others, I also don't leave butts on the ground or such, i throw them in my pocket or in my bag. While I feel I have a right to smoke outside I still understand that some dont like the smell in which case I will step away but only when stated.I have no problem move 10-15ft away from someone so they can enjoy clean air. just as I always attempt to be down wind from them so it doesn't blow in their face. I don't believe that smoking should be illegal in parks as long as people dont litter. Smoking is one thing but littering is against the law.

Roll your eyes all you want, but second hand smoke does cause cancer.
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS

while i have no doubt that it is harmful, it looks like they are specifically testing and basing their results on the effects of indoor 2nd hand smoke-

NCI article said:
Secondhand smoke exposure can be measured by testing indoor air for nicotine or other chemicals in tobacco smoke.

NCI article said:
The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces.

outdoor smoking shouldn't be lumped into the same studies. though still harmful, it would be orders of magnitude different. Also so much more difficult to study i'm sure.

give it up...how about breathing car exhaust...that probably causes cancer too...if there's no-smoking signs, pop in a pouch of dip...it seems less offensive to sensitive non-smokers....until lots of smokers start using then spitting will probably be banned from public parks as it may be a bio-hazard....there's way bigger problems in the world....like someone else metioned, fire issue....that i can agree with..

I have no problem with other people smoking on the course as long as they don't leave their butts around the course.

It does - That's one of the many reasons it's highly regulated.

So we shouldn't concern ourselves with anything that isn't an epic, world-ending problem? Riiiiight....

yup!! i don't come to argue ethics...just put your nose back in the air and carry on...thanks!:rolleyes:

Around here, we have a number of courses in different park systems, each with their own rules. Some allow smoking and some do not. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with the "law" for smoking at any of these courses.

I am an ex-smoker (cold turkey, when I was 27), and am normally fairly stringent in avoiding smoke and really do not like being exposed indoors, so I'm quite happy with the way laws have gone there. But I think that outdoors is a little different thing. If smokers keep a small seperation and gnerally downwind position during a round, It's all good. No problem. You'll get a little bit now and then but it's certainly livable. As long as no butts are left on the course (just like any other trash) then I say, carry on. :popcorn:

I've recently got a waterbottle that attaches to my bag. I fill it half with water, then I dispose of my cigarette butts in there. Usually like 2-3 a round, but that adds up.
3 a round 6 days a week = 18 cigarette butts, which doesn't include my double rounds on sundays which is 6 more cigarette butts. Over a 52 week year (assuming I played every day) thats 1248 cigarette butts. And I couldn't imagine having to have someone else pick those up.

Smoking is much more dangerous than many other things that illegal, or other substances that are "controlled". The only difference is the giant industry that has surrounded smoking since before it's health effects were known.

I personally wish it were illegal nationally, not just in specific places. I've seen too many people with terrible quality of life at age 50-60 due to their smoking, to be persuaded it should be left alone. I can't help picturing every smoker I see with supplemental O2, and a giant barrel chest, asking during rounds if they can go outside and have a smoke. It's quite sobering. There is such great help out there too in the form of medications and classes, that it is ridiculous for this to be such a large problem in this day and age.

Smoking is much more dangerous than many other things that illegal, or other substances that are "controlled". The only difference is the giant industry that has surrounded smoking since before it's health effects were known.

I personally wish it were illegal nationally, not just in specific places. I've seen too many people with terrible quality of life at age 50-60 due to their smoking, to be persuaded it should be left alone. I can't help picturing every smoker I see with supplemental O2, and a giant barrel chest, asking during rounds if they can go outside and have a smoke. It's quite sobering. There is such great help out there too in the form of medications and classes, that it is ridiculous for this to be such a large problem in this day and age.

Must not be a smoker and there's no problems with smoking at any of the courses. Alcohol is way more dangerous than smoking. At least I can smoke a blu cig anywhere

^this is knid of what i was thinking...but whenever i take my blu with me people think i'm smokin something else....i have to take a drag so they can see that it's not what they think it is...

smoking threads always end the same way on this site. so this is pointless.

Who got da lighta'?

agreed! however discussion is good, we all have the right to agree and disagree thats what makes for good debate. furthermore i can also link a ton of useless bias info as well
http://www.freedom-of-choice.com/AS3.htm

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/second.htm

those took like 2.4 seconds to link.

this is a complicated subject that is multifaceted. so guys dont yell at me because u solved the issue at hand, because the US government hasn't solved it yet. so stick a fork in it.

side bet, when will this thread be shut down. im guessing 845 pm pacific standard time.