• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toboggan 2015

mrclc

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
It's May, which means we're fast approaching the opening of my favorite course -- Kensington Toboggan. Last year, Toboggan opened before Memorial Day, and I was able to play it on that Sunday. This year it seems that an installation isn't expected until after Memorial Day. The DGLO is May 29-31 and the USADGC is June 5-7, so does that mean there's no weekend availability for casual play? What's the likelihood of playing after the pros finish on 5/31? Michigan friends with direct knowledge of the situation please chime in, as this traveler is panicking.

It's May, which means we're fast approaching the opening of my favorite course -- Kensington Toboggan. Last year, Toboggan opened before Memorial Day, and I was able to play it on that Sunday. This year it seems that an installation isn't expected until after Memorial Day. The DGLO is May 29-31 and the USADGC is June 5-7, so does that mean there's no weekend availability for casual play? What's the likelihood of playing after the pros finish on 5/31? Michigan friends with direct knowledge of the situation please chime in, as this traveler is panicking.

mrclc, the park is very protective of this area. We are very lucky to get to see this course for couple weeks each year. The install dates are usually pretty guarded, and the pull date is generally right after USADGC. The great folks who organize, run and staff the tournaments are usually the same guys who have to get the course in. They always have several projects going on at the same time. The course is usually open for casual play outside of posted tournament and practice times. I might recommend keeping an eye on Disc Golf Scene, under the Kensington page. There is usually some chatter about the course there. Good luck, and I hope you get the chance to have this beast thrash you about some.

This seems to confirm my suspicions of no open weekends, then. Bummer.
Looks that way...
DGLO Pros will be held there from Fri, May 29 - Sun, May31
USADGC taking place Fri, Jun 5 - Sun, Jun 7

Seems it will only be available for casual play on these dates:
Wed May 27th
Mon Jun 1
Tue Jun 2
Wed Jun 3

I expect baskets will be pulled after USADGS wraps up Sun the 7th.

I didn't list either Thu because typically, the Thu before tournies has been reserved for registered players to get practice rounds in. Can't say you'll get kicked off the course if you try to play Thu... but I can't say you won't, either.

That said, If you can take a day off during the week, it will be available and it's worth it.

Last edited:
Who says you need baskets to play Toboggan?? As long as it's mowed, it should be good to go. And for those few open "public" days it is so clogged with casuals it is almost not worth playing.

Who says you need baskets to play Toboggan?? As long as it's mowed, it should be good to go. And for those few open "public" days it is so clogged with casuals it is almost not worth playing.

Technically true, but if you're coming from out of town to play a premier championship course, it'd be rather unsatisfying not to be able to hole out in a basket. Plus it's hard to get a really good handle on exactly where you're throwing to, no matter how well the locals you're playing with try to describe it. Granted, a great many of the holes are blind from the tee, but if you truly can bomb and stay in the fairway (count me out... on both of those :eek:), it helps to have a more precise target on subsequent shots that "about 40 ft past that tree, in that clearing off to the right."

I'd have been let down big time if I drove 5 hours to play Idlewild, only to find no baskets. :(

That said, just walking the fairways and appreciating the terrain this course is laid out on will evoke emotion from any serious player. I just wish they had it ready to go by the holiday weekend, like they normally do.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, the grass outlining the fairways and greens could be short enough for play for maybe a week or two after they pull the baskets. Anyone happened to have 18 portable tone poles laying around? Maybe they could secretly loan them out to a local club for their members to use? Would the Park Dept pull them out or maybe let it slide for a week if we asked nicely? I think I might have a dozen i storage...

Hmmmm, the grass outlining the fairways and greens could be short enough for play for maybe a week or two after they pull the baskets. Anyone happened to have 18 portable tone poles laying around? Maybe they could secretly loan them out to a local club for their members to use? Would the Park Dept pull them out or maybe let it slide for a week if we asked nicely? I think I might have a dozen i storage...

The Parks Dept are very protective of this land. They have been long petitioned for longer periods of play and/or consideration for a permanent installation.

Let see I 've got about 5 portables I could bring.... DGCR meet-up??? :popcorn:

The Parks Dept are very protective of this land. They have been long petitioned for longer periods of play and/or consideration for a permanent installation.

I kid, I kid :D

I wouldn't do it even though I have the tones already. I wouldn't want to be the guy who pissed off the Metroparks and got courses pulled.

I'm having a private event at Mill Creek during DGLO weekend and then hosting a wedding here during USADGC weekend so I'm probably gonna miss Toboggan again :doh: My timing sucks

Might just have to keep the tones at home and make my own Toboggan course.
221082_g.jpg

That said, If you can take a day off during the week, it will be available and it's worth it.

Believe me, I know. My round there last year was enough to make it my favorite course of the 166 I've played thus far. I have some serious thinking to do regarding my vacation days.

Looks like the course availability for casual rounds has been officially posted to Disc Golf Scene:

Wednesday, May 27
Monday, June 1
Tuesday, June 2
Wednesday, June 3

(source)

I'll be using vacation days after all. Anyone else coming from out of town to play?

yeah, that kinda suxxorz... :( only 4 days to play a course that sweet.

I'm signed up so I will be there from Wed-Sun. Can't wait to play it. I chose this tourney over MN Majestic because of the course.

I'll play after the ams are off the course on tournament day. *shrug* Wait until the last card is off hole 18 and you're usually good to throw. I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't when I did that.

I'll play after the ams are off the course on tournament day. *shrug* Wait until the last card is off hole 18 and you're usually good to throw. I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't when I did that.

sshhh!

Just played flip city and leviathan black this morning. All I can say is wow. Two great courses. Now I just need to play toboggan and I am happy for the week.

Latest posts