• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tonight I will sleep happily.

Addison

Gentlemen, ladies, tonight I will sleep happily.

Today marks quite a milestone for me.

I had always ranted and raved to my fiance about disc golf, she had always shown an interest, probably stemming from her history with ball golf. I always told her I was going to bring her, and she always said she was going to come with.

Today was the day.

It was about noon, a nippy 45-ish degree day, sunny, slight wind, we had the course to ourselves. I figured I'd bring her to a course that lacked thick woods or nasty obstacles that could have made the experience poor. I brought her to O'brian in woodridge. Honestly, not the greatest course, and there was goose **** EVERYWHERE, (IT IS NOVEMBER. THERE HAVE BEEN CONSISTENTLY SUB-FREEZING NIGHTS. WHY THE HELL ARE THEY STILL HERE!?)...No big deal, though, I ran her through the motions, gave her a few quick basic footing and grip tips.

First throw, up and up and up, normal for someone new. But damn, I never would've guessed she would catch on as fast as she did. Through those short 9 holes I had her attempting backhands, forehands, hammers, the works! A few putts she had were real slammers, made me sweat a little bit :p

She's already laid claim to a few of my discs that weren't my main loadout...

150g DX Aviar
150g DX Shark
172g Star Valkyrie

She's a small little monster, barely 5 foot, pretty skinny(~115lbs?), so, she doesn't have huge power, but kickboxing hasn't made her weak, so, I'm indifferent, should she be throwing these off the bat? I started with a valk and an aviar, but after learning the stats on these compared to whats out there I'm thinking that there might be better out there for her to get her footing.

Regardless, I've read some stories on here about significant others frowning upon the sport, rolling eyes, etc.

I consider myself blessed

She doesn't get upset about me going too much, but rather us not going enough! :D

I had to share this, I'm just so excited about it!

thoughts?
recommendations?

Its an exclusive club my friend. Welcome.

I owe my ravenous addiction to my girlfriend who introduced me to the game last summer.

How many of you can claim that role reversal?

I love my lady, but I am more than happy that she hates throwing frisbees. She knows I love it, and it's the place that I can go and be by myself. I dont know if I could handle my girl throwing with me and my friends. I need that me time!

get her a light leopard

I agree 1000 times.

And I'm not a HUGE innova guy...but leopards just plain rock.

I want to say to avoid DX plastic because it's SOO easy to mess it up...but it's also got the most character and you can just do a TON with it.

Go for the DX leopard. Maybe a DX or Elite X buzzz for shorter tosses, especially if she likes the shark.

My dad is a Shark man, and he's loving his elite x buzzz.

\/\/

Exclusive club indeed! I have yet to get my wife to actually play a around with me. I convinced her to take the dog and walk the short 9 hole course with me and she did. I tried to say just enough to keep her interested but not enough to bore her. Some day she will get a disc in her hands though, that is my goal!

Unfortunately, my wife has a degenerative bone disease in her neck that limits her physically. She would probably become paralyzed the first time she tried to throw.
I've asked her to come and just watch, so she could at least get out, but she leaves DG to me...

Welcome to the club.

There used to be a guy in my old DG group that insisted women didnt belong out there with us because it was the guys day out, but that was kind of divisive if you as me. If you really love to disc, your going to get more of it if you can include your GF/wife/whatever.

Congrats! That's a happy moment. My wife doesn't play anymore but she encourages me to go and is buying me a DisCatcher Sport practice basket for an early Christmas present. It's good to have support at any level from your girl!

I love my lady, but I am more than happy that she hates throwing frisbees. She knows I love it, and it's the place that I can go and be by myself. I dont know if I could handle my girl throwing with me and my friends. I need that me time!

It's the same for me. I would like her to walk and talk sometimes when it's an amazing day in the wall. She won't even go with me promising I won't take the round seriously.

She will probably love a 150 Archangel.

That's a good one too, it's like a Valkyrie...but not...if you catch my drift.

If she gets GOOD with a Valkyrie...but turns it over..give her my FAVORITE DISC (for driving..)

Viking!

Way too many people ignore the might of the Viking.

\/\/

Gentlemen, ladies, tonight I will sleep happily.

Today marks quite a milestone for me.

I had always ranted and raved to my fiance about disc golf, she had always shown an interest, probably stemming from her history with ball golf. I always told her I was going to bring her, and she always said she was going to come with.

Today was the day.

It was about noon, a nippy 45-ish degree day, sunny, slight wind, we had the course to ourselves. I figured I'd bring her to a course that lacked thick woods or nasty obstacles that could have made the experience poor. I brought her to O'brian in woodridge. Honestly, not the greatest course, and there was goose **** EVERYWHERE, (IT IS NOVEMBER. THERE HAVE BEEN CONSISTENTLY SUB-FREEZING NIGHTS. WHY THE HELL ARE THEY STILL HERE!?)...No big deal, though, I ran her through the motions, gave her a few quick basic footing and grip tips.

First throw, up and up and up, normal for someone new. But damn, I never would've guessed she would catch on as fast as she did. Through those short 9 holes I had her attempting backhands, forehands, hammers, the works! A few putts she had were real slammers, made me sweat a little bit :p

She's already laid claim to a few of my discs that weren't my main loadout...

150g DX Aviar
150g DX Shark
172g Star Valkyrie

She's a small little monster, barely 5 foot, pretty skinny(~115lbs?), so, she doesn't have huge power, but kickboxing hasn't made her weak, so, I'm indifferent, should she be throwing these off the bat? I started with a valk and an aviar, but after learning the stats on these compared to whats out there I'm thinking that there might be better out there for her to get her footing.

Regardless, I've read some stories on here about significant others frowning upon the sport, rolling eyes, etc.

I consider myself blessed

She doesn't get upset about me going too much, but rather us not going enough! :D

I had to share this, I'm just so excited about it!

thoughts?
recommendations?

That is without a doubt the best place to take first-timers in our area. Near zero chance of losing a disc, mostly short holes and very few obstacles.

It is a good feeling when you get your lady to finally go with you to play some good old dg, i convinced my girlfriend after months of saying no to finally agree to come out and play and hopefully im gonna get her to be playing a few tournaments next spring because the female turnout at the tourneys by me are extremely low maybe 2 or 3 women.