• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too many discs for a beginner?

LiquidDivide

I know the two extremes to the spectrum are using 1 disc (usually a midrange) for everything and buying a lot of discs and switching between discs all the time. As a beginner I'm wondering if I'm balanced or not. I'm trying not to get discs that overlap, or behave similarly to each other. In my bag I carry the following discs:

Drivers:
Wraith
Valkyrie
Archangel

Midranges:
Cobra
Shark
Dart

Putter:
Omega Super Soft

I mostly use the Wraith and Archangel for driving depending on the amount of turn I need. The Valkyrie was one of my first discs that I just never really liked. I try using it for rollers and tomahawks and such now.

I usually use the cobra as my midrange, unless I need more fade. The dart was my putter, but I've switched for the omega. I use it now on closer approach shots if I just want a good straight throw.

Is this too many discs for a beginner? Not enough? Should I consider adding/removing something?

(Unless it's absolutely beat to death,) If you're using the Valkyrie for rollers this early on, it sounds like your form is in need of some tweaking. Might be worth throwing a few rounds with just your putter and a midrange to try to get it cleaned up a little.

haha, funny you mention that. I am doing just that right now. I did go out for lunch today and just throw as far as I could and I was actually throwing my Valkyrie further than my other drivers. Been doing the midrange/putter for about 2 weeks now, but I was curious if I'd improved at all. The Valkyrie really impressed me today and I think I'll give it another shot once I go back to using drivers again. But does the Valkyrie do basically the same thing as a wraith? Do I really need to carry both around if I start using the Valkyrie more often?

The Valkyrie and Wraith are on opposite ends of the stability spectrum. If they're acting that similarly, I would suggest picking up a Leopard in Pro plastic. Your drivers are all faster speed and require a greater arm speed to make them fly like they're designed. This will limit your distance as a result. Something slower like a Leopard will more than likely net you more distance while showing its true flight pattern more easily.

For the record, I don't carry anything faster than a Speed 10. For the last year, I've been learning to throw backhand and have been bagging slower discs. I've been getting great distance and often outthrow my friends throwing much faster plastic. Don't be afraid to tailor your disc speeds to your throwing speed.

IPutter:
Omega Super Soft

A couple of days ago my neighbor had a party so I brought out 8-9 putters that I don't use for the kids to play with. The next day, I said what the heck and tossed them all at my basket from about 15' out. Sunk the first 5 then got to the Omega Super Soft (which I had never used) and I literally threw it over the neighbor's wall behind the basket.

What's up with that putter?

Oh, and I would recommend ditching the Valk and Wraith for now and adding a teebird or DX eagle and a cheetah or premium plastic leopard (2 discs total) before adding your Valk and Wraith back in. In fact, save the Wraith for after you're able to get at least 350' on the Valk. Otherwise, the Wraith is probably wasted space/weight in your bag.

OP, I second what tbird888 said in post #4. While I was throwing around 300 feet I didn't have but one disc higher than speed 7 (a QJLS) and most of my drivers were speed 7 and 6. The slower ones will be more controllable and accurate and may even fly further than your faster drivers until you've advanced a bit. I just recently added a couple of speed 9 drivers to my bag for open holes since I can now bust one out to 350 to 375 when the stars align.

And besides ...........you KNOW you want to explore more discs!

Throw a Zephyr, this is all you need to start out.

Quick answers to questions:
all of my discs are DX at the moment. I tried a champion wraith, but I couldn't get enough speed on it. It faded early and hard, as you all can probably guess.

As for the putter, maybe it's me. I always threw too low with my dart. I'd hit the pole constantly. With the omega, I'm hitting chains much more, but if you sailed it, maybe it's because my putting is weak. :S

So for now maybe I'll take the wraith out and stick to the archangel as much as possible (speed 8). I'l keep testing the valkyrie out more to see if I'm getting fast enough for it. I really don't see much of a difference between it and the wraith. Valk has more turn and less fade, but not a lot. They just seem very similar to me.

Nice mix. I think the Archangel is under rated and is a great disc for beginners. I like that you stuck with mostly 1 brand to prevent overlap. A Stingray is also one I would suggest for anhyzer turns.

So for now maybe I'll take the wraith out and stick to the archangel as much as possible (speed 8). I'l keep testing the valkyrie out more to see if I'm getting fast enough for it. I really don't see much of a difference between it and the wraith. Valk has more turn and less fade, but not a lot. They just seem very similar to me.

The reason they are feeling quite similar is that neither is getting up to speed and flying true to its numbers yet. As you gain distance you'll see quite a change between the 2 discs.

Archangel and sidewinder are 2 great discs for early players. Store the Valkyrie and wraith for later. If you like better quality, the unlace flies really nicely for a new arm as well. As your technique and speed increase, you can add more discs in, but keep your bag to about 6 easy to throw discs at the beginning.

Too many discs created a problem for me: I never really learned a single disc well. Every week was something new (to me, that is, after wading around the pond for abandoned discs :) )

I did learn about the discs I threw well, and the discs I couldn't throw for skwat. My buddy, during this time, threw a red Valkyrie, and hit three aces during our pickup rounds. He still throws that disc, to the exclusion of everything else, and hits metal about once a round, at least.

Know your disc, but have fun trying out something new. Tomorrow I'll be trying out a DX and a Champ beast, and a 150 beast because that seems to be all anyone is (almost) throwing across the pond these days.

I third the dx tee bird. I'm always going to carry this disc. I'd try it in lower weight, say 165-170. Should be able to throw it over 300 feet with ease after a while. Starting out I tried a Valk and Wraith in max weight. I wasn't ready for those either. Wraith should have more fade at the end than the Valk.

I'm currently throwing the Innova Star Tern and the Champion Mamba currently for my drivers, I am relatively new, but the Tern works great for my sidearm(forehand) throwing as well as backhand... I use the Mamba for the Tomahawk but it seems to be a great general distance disc, no matter the form.

My wife uses the Star Katana and Pro Leopard for her backhand throws. Sadly, she can backhand further than I can, but my forehand is untouchable in comparison to her backhand or my backhand.

I can forehand consistently about 250' with the Tern and have only been playing about a year now, off and on, mainly off.

I'll add on to the group here staying to stay away from the wraith for now. I'm coming up about 18 months of playing but completely rebuilt January of this year - my first year was just spent buying too much plastic and throwing discs I had no business throwing. Two discs have remained consistent in my bag - my putting putter (SS wizard) and the leopard. The Leo is such a reliable disc and can really get you easy distance. If I'm not comfortable on a teepad or know I need to know exactly what the disc is going to do, I'm picking up the leopard (provided there is no headwind but that's an entirely different thread)

Find a midrange that you like as well and learn to throw it on several different lines. I love the M4 as I can throw so many different lines with that disc but that may very well be the shark for you or a cobra or whatever... Force yourself to get to know 4-5 discs really well and you will be so much happier I think.

Latest posts