• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too much bag overlap?

Darkstar1332

Hi, I am relatively new to Disc Golf and after extensively researching the "best" overall discs and impulse buying I wonder if I have too many of the same type discs in my bag that do the same thing? Bag:
Discraft Elite Z Avenger SS
Innova Champion Thunderbird
Innova Champion Valkyrie
Latitude 64 Opto Saint
Innova Champion Teebird
Legacy Pinnacle Patriot
Innova Champion Leopard
Innova Champion Roc3
Discraft Elite Z Buzz
Discraft Elite Z Comet
Innova Yeti Pro Aviar
Innova XT Noca
Gateway Supersoft Wizard

Thanks!

The answer to your question depends on preference.

Your bag has structure, that's good. Some would say that there's no overlap and you've got a good bag. Others could say that you could still drop three discs for less overlap. But that's more a question of how small you wanna go. Generally, your bag is by no means bag.

If you want to find the overlap and unimportant discs, take notes which discs you use how often. Or take three out of the bag and play without them. If you miss one of them, then put that in again but take another one out instead. Do that for some time. This way you'll find out yourself where overlap exists and what you really need.

All the Champ/Z discs stands out to me. Diversify that plastic.

A Polecat will never show up in a 'best overall' list and that's a shame.

What Meillo said. Preference.

I find 3 drivers, 3 mids and a putter work fine. Sometimes I will add a new disc that I want to use. I see others on here who tend to like more. A guy I play with uses one disc the ENTIRE round and throws the same shot the ENTIRE round. And yes its a Ti Nuke OS. It sounds boring to me but its his thing.

How often do you play? Do you think you can throw all those discs with confidence?

How far are you throwing?
That will help the suggestions you will get.

You say you are relatively new, some from experience I'm guessing that most of your drivers are going about the same distance, and if that's the case, you will have overlap.

The opposite of overlap is differentiation - can you think of the circumstances that make each of your discs uniquely the right choice? Consider wind, elevation, glide, shape, etc.

I'm guessing you'll have a bunch of discs that you're able to immediately say "Yup, I know where that one fits."

The ones that are left over are the ones that might be overlapping - because you can't really describe the conditions or the shot you need them for.

By the way - this is a continuously changing picture, especially for newer players. You'll "grow into" some shots (and discs) and grow out of others. You'll learn the stretch the coverage of discs, by throwing them at different speeds or angles. And the discs themselves change over time, with use.

Most experienced disc golfers would probably say that the Avenger SS, Valkyrie, and Saint overlap a lot. Same with Patriot/Leopard and Aviar/Wizard. Depending on how they fly for you, Thunderbird/Teebird and Buzzz/Roc3 may also overlap. Overlap is not the end of the world. If you enjoy bagging a disc, bag it!

That said, streamlining your bag will probably help you improve. If you haven't already, spend some time throwing your discs in a field and become familiar with how they fly for you. If multiple discs are giving you the same result, choose your favorite and bag that one. I'd suggest the following setup as a starting point:

Putters
Aviar, Nova, or Wizard; choose the one that feels best in your hand and/or gives you the most confidence when putting.
If you find that you prefer separate putters for short shots and putting, bag both.

Midranges
Comet
Buzzz or Roc3

Drivers
Leopard or Patriot
Teebird
If Avenger SS/Valkyrie/Saint give you noticeably more distance than the Leopard/Patriot, you could add one of them. Same for the Thunderbird in relation to the Teebird.

The opposite of overlap is differentiation - can you think of the circumstances that make each of your discs uniquely the right choice? Consider wind, elevation, glide, shape, etc.
I generally agree with what you wrote but like to add one thing: It's easy to find one shot for each disc you bag, thus you have no overlap -- this is how your comment could be understood --, but still you actually can have lots of overlap. Overlap is when two discs can do the same. Thus the point is not to find a hole where you out of habit or previous experiences like to throw a specific disc, or maybe just by accient happen to throw the same disc each time, but investigate if no other of your discs can provide an equally good result on it. (Then generalize from specific hole to shot types and lines.) This is the reason I like the ``leave discs at home and see if you can play just as well'' approach. It forces you to use the most overlapping discs instead and you'll find out in how far they really overlap.

Of course, this approach is for people who like small bags. If you don't care to carry more discs and don't have decision problems as you mainly play known courses where you know which disc you throw on each hole, then there's no need for such overlap reducing techniques. Also, if I just like to throw that one disc on only one single hole, which I maybe aced with it somewhen, but don't use the disc otherwise, there's no decision problem neither, but maybe positive confidence in that one hole. That could be worth to carry that disc, no matter the overlap. That depends on your style. There's no better or worse, only different styles, philosophies. Do what feels good to yourself.

How far are you throwing?
That will help the suggestions you will get.

You say you are relatively new, some from experience I'm guessing that most of your drivers are going about the same distance, and if that's the case, you will have overlap.

On a good shot with turnover my Avenger only goes 250'-275'. I have problems with getting a good turnover.

On a good shot with turnover my Avenger only goes 250'-275'.

Then drop all the speed 9 drivers. Use the Leopard as your main driver and the Teebird for overstable shots and into headwinds. (Maybe keep one faster disc -- not the Thunderbird -- in the bag, but mainly work with the slower drivers.)

This doesn't mean you need to stop practicing with the faster discs on the field, but don't use them on the course. Overall work a lot with the slower discs. They are the ones that help you develop better form and thus more distance. The faster drivers rather keep you from getting more distance.

Also, if you happen to buy new discs buy baseline plastic (DX, JB, ...)

Most experienced disc golfers would probably say that the Avenger SS, Valkyrie, and Saint overlap a lot. Same with Patriot/Leopard and Aviar/Wizard. Depending on how they fly for you, Thunderbird/Teebird and Buzzz/Roc3 may also overlap. Overlap is not the end of the world. If you enjoy bagging a disc, bag it!

That said, streamlining your bag will probably help you improve. If you haven't already, spend some time throwing your discs in a field and become familiar with how they fly for you. If multiple discs are giving you the same result, choose your favorite and bag that one. I'd suggest the following setup as a starting point:

Putters
Aviar, Nova, or Wizard; choose the one that feels best in your hand and/or gives you the most confidence when putting.
If you find that you prefer separate putters for short shots and putting, bag both.

Midranges
Comet
Buzzz or Roc3

Drivers
Leopard or Patriot
Teebird
If Avenger SS/Valkyrie/Saint give you noticeably more distance than the Leopard/Patriot, you could add one of them. Same for the Thunderbird in relation to the Teebird.

putters I disagree with this for putting, the Nova is more an approach/very very long putter disc and is often hard to true putt with unless you came from a ultimate background and want a putter that is deeper in the hand but has wing to the putter not a lid/catch shape. Now for most in putting it is between the Aviar and Wizard for putting, unless one of them is your driving putter then get another for putting on the one you use for driving. Also tons of different Aviar and Aviar like discs from Innova as well as companies Innova makes discs for.

Assuming you aren't carrying a bunch of duplicates, I only counted thirteen discs.

Unless you are specifically trying to carry fewer discs, I wouldn't worry too much about overlap and just enjoy playing and figuring out what all of your discs do for you.

Now, if you had a heavy bag with thirty discs and wanted to shed some weight and simplify your game, then I'd worry about what you had that overlapped.

Assuming you aren't carrying a bunch of duplicates, I only counted thirteen discs.

Unless you are specifically trying to carry fewer discs, I wouldn't worry too much about overlap and just enjoy playing and figuring out what all of your discs do for you.

Now, if you had a heavy bag with thirty discs and wanted to shed some weight and simplify your game, then I'd worry about what you had that overlapped.

I agree and you might find you have discs you use for the exact same thing thus use the one that has the better feel or are more consistent with.

Latest posts