• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Too soon for a Wraith?

discgolftravelerron

Bogey Member
I've been playing for a little over a year now.

I've been adding a lot of distance to my drives. I can consistently throw over 300ft now and I have been using a Star Wraith as my primary distance driver. I have had a lot of success with it as far as accuracy goes, but it does finish with a hard hyzer (as it should).

Do you all think I could get more distance from a slightly less stable disc? If so...suggestions?

Thanks!

Star wraiths aren't supposed to have a big hyzer at the end, especially if you have been using it for a while.

I have been playing just under a year and I would say that it probably is too soon for a wraith. I throw a beast for my distance driver and I can get it to hyzer flip up to 360' or more, but the wraith still fades a ton at the end for me even though I can get 330' out of it.

I am in the same boat as you. Haven't been playing long and have a stepped up from a Viking/Valkyrie to a Beast and can generally get consistently longer drives with the Beast than the other 2. When I got my hands on a Wraith, in most cases it has the same flight pattern/stability as my Beast but doesn't get anymore distance. This leads me to believe that my limit is currently speed 10 disks and I will need to work on my drives more to step up to an 11 (wraith) or higher.

If you're looking to learn to throw farther, speed 6-7 discs, mids and putters are your best bet until you're getting them out to 350' or so. At that point speed 9-11 discs will help you learn to throw more nose down, but you're still better off focusing on your fairway drivers, mids and putters if you want to improve technique. In other words, I wouldn't think of faster discs as stepping stones to improving your throw, think of them as extra distance once you know how to throw farther.

I typically throw leopards and beasts. I never could get the flight that I wanted from a wraith. To follow Garublador's comment, I have hated the fact that the majority of new players seem to pick up one the new wide-rimmed drivers first. That being said, I recently picked up a pro Katana and love it. It seems to be the distance driver I have been looking for. If you are looking for a hyzer-flip disc with a softer finish, this may be it.

I'm starting to like my wraith for big drives, but it's near my current limits of arm speed and snap. I have to really unload on it with good mechanics to get the desired result. Last year I would have just shanked it most of the time.

If you find that the Wraith is fading excessively, a slower, fairly straight disc might be what you're looking for. Something like an Eagle L or a slightly worn TeeBird can still get way out there without being quite as picky as the Wraith can be about nose angle and speed.

I love the Wraith for a Big, gradual hyzer and the predictable long skip that you get at the end of it. I even have seen people use it as a "get out of trouble" disc when you need a big skip. If I want to turn it over, I have to throw with major OAT...

I just found a champion wraith at deerfield, Irvine. I went when it was super windy, disc has no ink and is very faded. It must have been in the trees for a long time. It was laying near a basket with no one around, my guess is that the wind knocked it down. If any of you regulars can identify it and tell me which hole, I'll gladly return it, if not I'll have to start trying it. I normally play with a Tee-bird and Avenger SS. But that day I was playing my Crystal Buzzz and it was flying great.

Star wraiths aren't supposed to have a big hyzer at the end, especially if you have been using it for a while.

My thoughts also. Baby steps, baby steps. Try a Valk, Viking, or similar speed driver first, you can get some solid D with them as well.

Latest posts